|Ninjago City||Ninjago City Docks||Ninjago City Gardens|
70620 Ninjago City is a set for The LEGO Ninjago Movie that was released on September 1, 2017. The set is the seventh-largest LEGO set of all time in terms of its piece count, as well as the 2nd largest Ninjago set, with the first being 71741 Ninjago City Gardens.
It includes Lloyd and Kai in their high school outfits, Koko in her casual outfit, Ninja Force Jay, Rufus McCallister, Noonan, a Jamanakai Villager, Sally, Ivy Walker, Konrad, Severin Black, Tommy, Guy, Juno, Sweep, a Shark Army Gunner, the Green Ninja, Jay, two Ceremonial Robe mannequins, a small fishing boat and a three-story segment of Ninjago City; the bottom level features small houses and a stone bridge, the middle level features a number of shops and restaurants, the top-level features a sushi restaurant and Lloyd and Koko's apartment.
Enjoy endless role-play fun in NINJAGO® City, a hugely-detailed 3-level model connected by a sliding elevator. Level 1 features a traditional fish market, house, a bridge over a stream, and a fishing boat. The second level has a modern fashion store, comic book store, crab restaurant with ‘crab-grilling’ function and cash-dispensing ATM. The vertical city is topped off with Lloyd Garmadon and Misako’s apartment, a rooftop sushi bar with sushi conveyor belt, and a radio tower. This action-packed THE LEGO® NINJAGO MOVIE™ set also includes 16 minifigures and Sweep the maintenance robot.
- Includes 16 minifigures: Jay, Kai and Lloyd Garmadon (each with new-for-August-2017 high school outfit decoration), Green Ninja Suit, Misako, Jamanakai Villager, Sally, Ivy Walker, Konrad, Severin Black, Tommy, Guy, Juno, Mother Doomsday, Shark Army Gunner, and Officer Noonan, plus Sweep the maintenance robot.
- Features a 3-level model (each level lifts off for easy play) connected by a sliding elevator, plus a traditional fishing boat.
- Level 1 features a bridge, sewer outlet, stream with translucent-blue and translucent-green water elements, sliding elevator with room for a minifigure, traditional fish market with fish and crab elements, a house with dining room and bedroom with sliding screen doors and foldout ‘solar panels’, Sweep the maintenance robot's service station with assorted tool elements, and a taxi stand with telephone element.
- Level 2 features a modern fashion store with 2 mannequins and assorted NINJAGO® product elements, a construction site with a bonsai tree, a comic book store with a brick-built sign, cashier desk, comic book stand with assorted elements including collectible NINJAGO training cards, a crab restaurant with brick-built crab entrance sign and oven with ‘crab-grilling’ function, a cash-dispensing ATM, 15 banknote elements (ATM can dispense up to 13), and a movie poster display stand with 4 interchangeable movie poster elements.
- Place the uncooked crab element in the oven, turn the dial and open the oven to reveal a cooked crab element.
- Press the handle behind the ATM to dispense bank note elements.
- Level 3 features a radio tower, modern rooftop sushi bar with sushi conveyor belt function and brick-built food, bathroom with sliding door, and brick-built puffer fish and squid sculptures, Lloyd Garmadon and Misako's apartment with an opening window, bunk bed, kitchen unit and attic space for the Green Ninja Suit minifigure.
- Turn the dial to activate the sushi conveyor belt.
- Weapons include Jay's chain with spike and Shark Army Gunner’s fish flame.
- Recreate and role-play exciting THE LEGO® NINJAGO® MOVIE™ scenes.
- NINJAGO® City measures over 24” (63cm) high, 12” (31cm) wide and 16” (42cm) deep.
- Traditional fishing boat measures over 1” (4cm) high, 3” (10cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.
"This is the fifth and final set that I designed for Ninjago, together with Christopher Stamp and a little bit of invaluable help from Niek. The model went through at least 4 complete redesigns and iterations, and countless physical and digital sub-builds as it grew alongside the Ninjago City seen in the film. Being able to work on this set was a dream come true - I had the freedom to draw inspiration from all over the film city, and distill that spirit into a single modular block.
Early in development I collected draws full of interesting techniques and details, which we sprinkled through the model where it made sense. It's hard to pick favourites, but I'm particularly proud of the variety of roof techniques for shingles seen throughout the model, and the new square railing element - you get a lot to play with! Niek made an amazing function, which can deep-fry crabs (or Gold bananas)! We managed to fit in a lot, but there were many more ideas leftover that will hopefully find their way into future models... there's also a traffic cone on top of the radio tower - I'm not sure how it got there.
There are a lot of decorations, minifigures and stickers, made by Djordje and Lars. Ninjago City is full of billboards and bright signage, so to recreate this variety, we knew that we'd have to use a lot of stickers. We aimed to make them as much fun as possible, adding in references to the film, classic LEGO themes and more. A Ninjago script/cipher was developed for the film, which we used to encode a lot of fun messages, and add extra depth to the world seen in the model. I'm hoping that these stickers will also be useful for people wanting to build their own creations!
It was an incredible amount of fun and work to make - pushing the limits on size, techniques, stickers and fun. It wouldn't have been possible without Chris, the Ninjago design team, and countless others! I'm glad it turned out okay!"
- The set is designed to be compatible with the Creator Expert modular buildings.
- There are many signs in this set that are in the Ninjago alphabet, but you can translate them with the Ninjago Language Translator included within the set's instruction booklet.
- First level: S, Play Well (the LEGO motto), City, Visit Bricksburg (the main city in The LEGO Movie, suggesting they take place in the same universe), and High-Tech.
- Second level: Bank, Sale, Borg Industries (Cyrus Borg's company), and JB Robotics.
- Third level: AB, Shadow of Ronin Ninjago, Comics, and film.
- A boy named Tommy has a shirt that has a picture of Lloyd in his Elemental Robes, and above it, it says "Nemanja", which is the name of the son of one of the designers, Đjorđe Đorđević..
- This set includes versions of characters from the TV series who had previously never appeared in minifigure form:
- Though they share a name and are both young boys, Tommy from this set was not specifically intended to be Tommy the Wu's Academy student from the TV series.
- This set was followed up a year later with 70657 Ninjago City Docks, another modular set from The LEGO Ninjago Movie.
- This set includes the first physical minifigure of Officer Noonan, however, the Noonan in this set is female, where Noonan in the series is an older male.
- The stickered elements feature a number of references to Ninjago and other past LEGO themes.
- The Comic Book store has eight different 1x2 tiles representing cards. They are Lloyd Garmadon, Head Spin, Panic Stations, Laval from Legends of Chima, Unikitty from The LEGO Movie, Sparks from Rock Raiders, Johnny Thunder from Adventurers - Orient Expedition and William Walrus from Fabuland.
- The Comic Book store also has a 2x3 poster that resembles the "BELIEVE" cat poster from The LEGO Movie
- A set of interchangeable posters are included to go on the second story. One of these is a poster for Shadow of Ronin, another is for an old LEGO theme, Galidor.
- A flag next to the stone bridge reads "GS" in Ninjargon with the Galaxy Squad logo above it, referencing the 2013 space theme from LEGO.
- This set includes a mini version of the puffer fish balloon seen at Ninjago Tower in the film.
- In the TV series, Dareth's apartment resembles this set.
- Strangely, this set is marked as a 16+ set, but 71741 Ninjago City Gardens, a larger set, is marked as a 14+ set.