Ash is the current Elemental Master of Smoke and was a fierce competitor in Master Chen's Tournament of Elements, alongside the other Elemental Masters of his generation. In the third round of the event, Ash fought against Kai inside a volcano, where he proved himself to be a dangerous and very skilled adversary. After a long fight, Kai claimed the Jadeblade and defeated Ash. Afterward, he was ridden of his powers and forced to work in Chen's noodle factory. Later, Ash would ally with the other Elemental Masters to reclaim their elements.
Ash and the Elemental Masters united against Chen, who completed a spell that transformed him and his followers into fake Anacondrai. Consequently, an ancient conflict was renewed, as the new alliance of Elemental Masters fought Chen's army at the Corridor of Elders before Garmadon sacrificed himself in a bid to banish their adversaries to the Cursed Realm.
- 1 History
- 2 Appearance
- 3 LEGO.com description
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Behind the scenes
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
However, he managed to obtain another blade, allowing him to stay in the tournament.
Ash was chosen to battle Kai in the third round of the Tournament. In the volcano, Ash got the upper-hand on Kai by disappearing and reappearing on the bridge, with the Jadeblade falling on the rocks below. Kai climbs under the bridge and attempts to kick Ash, but the Master of Smoke uses his powers to evade the attack by the Master of Fire. Kai continuously attacks Ash, with none of his blows landing while Ash keeps disappearing and reappearing and his punches landing, eventually sending the Master of Fire through the bridge and hanging precariously over the lava.
Kai flips himself back onto secured planks and uses his Spinjitzu to push Ash back, though the end result is the same. Kai then launches multiple fireballs, only for Ash to dodge them while they begin burning through the bridge. Ash manages to apprehend Kai, but he launches one more fireball in which he successfully burns through the last of the bridge, sending both of them onto the rocks below. The two then battle in midair over the Jadeblade, where they are shown to be evenly matched until Ash goes for the Blade.
Kai then attacks him, where he uses his powers to avoid being hit by the fire. Unfortunately for Ash, Kai uses this as his chance to take the Blade and end the match with Ash being eliminated and falling in a trapdoor.
Sometime after, Ash was stripped of his power and forced to make noodles for Chen in Chen's factory along with the other powerless masters.
Ash continued working until the Cultists shut down the factory and watched as Cole and Zane emerged from hiding as they explained their plan to escape the noodle factory through the sewer network. After Zane suggested they build a Roto Jet to blast their way out, Ash helped find spare parts throughout the factory.
Ash is seen as one of the Elemental Masters pushing the Roto Jet, which allowed the masters to break out of the factory.
Ash was later among the Elemental Masters as they rebelled against Chen and his Anacondrai warriors. When Kai destroyed Staff of Elements, the Elemental Masters regained their elemental powers and easily fought off Chen's forces, who would retreat while Ash and his comrades took control of the island.
Ash and the other elemental fighters battled with Chen's followers who were turned into Anacondrai. Later, cultists escaped with the intent of conquering Ninjago. When seeing Kai and Zane awaken Elemental Dragons, Ash hugged Chamille, and later awoke his own Elemental Smoke Dragon and headed after Chen's army with the other fighters.
Ash used his Elemental Dragon to fly back to Ninjago City and was told by Lloyd to keep watch over the city.
Later on, Ash and the other Masters stand ready to hold off Chen and his forces, who have gathered in noodle trucks, but they are surprised when the trucks scatter to various locations. They each pursue a truck only to find them empty and realize Chen separated them to invade without hindrance. The revelation that they put many people in danger causes them to lose control of their elemental dragons.
After receiving a message from Neuro, Ash gathered with the Elemental Masters at the Samurai X Cave, where they discussed what to do about Chen before deciding to make their stand at the Corridor of Elders. Ash then fought in the battle at the Corridor of Elders against the Anacondrai warriors before watching them being banished to the Cursed Realm by the spirits of the Anacondrai generals.
At the end of the battle, he and the other Elemental Masters celebrate with the ninja, promising to offer them future aid.
Ash has gray hair set in a similar, spiky fashion to Ray's. He has thick black eyebrows and lines on either side of his mouth. His sleeves are gray and he wears black gloves. He has a padded square pattern on his body and brown and gray shoulder pads. He has a large belt with a gray buckle and a brown interior. His legs and waistline have silver chainmail-like material on them.
With the ability to transform into vaporous smoke, it is hard to get your hands on this shady opponent, much less placing a finger on where his loyalty truly lies. The master of smoke is as enigmatic and hard to predict as the patterns made by rising smoke.
- 35. "The Invitation" (no lines)
- 36. "Only One Can Remain" (no lines)
- 37. "Versus" (no lines)
- 39. "Spy for a Spy" (no lines)
- 40. "Spellbound" (no lines)
- 41. "The Forgotten Element" (no lines)
- 42. "The Day of the Dragon"
- 43. "The Greatest Fear of All" (no lines)
- 44. "The Corridor of Elders" (no lines)
- 1. "Legacy" (no lines)
- 6. "The Elemental Masters" (no lines)
- 7. "Beasts and Dragons" (no lines)
- 10. "Greatest Battles" (no lines)
- 99. "Wasted True Potential" (painting)
- 1. "Let's Dance" (painting)
- 145. "Shintaro" (painting)
- LEGO Ninjago: Tournament (non-canon)
- LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin (non-canon)
- The LEGO Ninjago Movie Videogame (non-canon)
Behind the scenes
- His elemental symbol looks similar to the Golden Master's, though it's unclear whether this is due to a "Lazy designer or something deeper", the second option possibly being that "the Overlord works through him".
- Ash's symbol was changed for his minifigure appearance in the 2016 accessory set, possibly indicating it was indeed an unintentional connection.
- Ash has a similar belt design to Gravis, whose belt is taken from the Barbarian from Minifigures Series 11.
- He is named after the word "ash".
- His hairstyle is the same as Ray's.
- Ash is voiced by Brent Miller, who also voices Zane.
- Ash was released as a minifigure in 2017 via a battle pack set, along with Shade and Skylor in her Skybound outfit. Ash's hairpiece was included, along with a gray version of the original ninja mask, which he didn't wear in the show.
- Ash is the only Elemental Master to have a Minifigure and not appear in Hunted.
- It is unknown where Ash and several other Elemental Masters were during Lord Garmadon's rule and Ninjago City's takeover. It's possible he was captured during Ultra Hunt, or hid somewhere inside or outside the city, due to his absence in Lloyd's resistance team. When asked where Ash was, Tommy Andreasen said he was with Bolobo, Pevsner, and Chamille, though this still leaves his situation ambiguous because while Bolobo was said to be captured, Chamille had become a "bad girl" according to Karlof in "How to Build a Dragon".
- He is one of the few Elemental Masters that can and often does change his own body form.
- His element is similar to part of the Element of Fire (Skylor and Kai used fire to create smoke to escape from Chen in "The Day of the Dragon").
- Ash is an unlockable character in The LEGO Ninjago Movie Videogame. He can be found in the level "Ninjago Beach".
- In "The Day of the Dragon", Ash hugged Chamille upon seeing that Kai and Zane unlocked their Elemental Dragons.
- When asked who would be the last Elemental Master standing in an attempt to wipe all of them out, Tommy Andreasen said it would be Ash or Mr. Pale, as "they are hard to nail."
In other media
- "The Invitation"