This template has been added to the following article because some or most of the images added here are not up to Ninjago Wiki standards.
For further help and advice, please visit the image policy to see what quality images the wiki expects.
|“Kalmaar seeks to awaken Wojira and destroy the surface world. I promised my father I would do everything in my power to stop him.”|
|— Benthomaar to the ninja in "Escape from Merlopia"|
- 1 History
- 1.1 The Tale of Benthomaar (flashback)
- 1.2 The Wrath of Kalmaar
- 1.3 Long Live the King
- 1.4 Escape from Merlopia
- 1.5 The Tale of Benthomaar
- 1.6 The Storm Amulet
- 1.7 Riddle of the Sphinx
- 1.8 Master of the Sea
- 1.9 The Calm Before the Storm
- 1.10 Assault on Ninjago City
- 1.11 Nyad
- 1.12 The Turn of the Tide
- 2 Powers and abilities
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Behind the scenes
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 References
The Tale of Benthomaar (flashback)
When Benthomaar was little, he was adopted by King Trimaar after being attacked by eels. Kalmaar took an immediate disliking to him, but Benthomaar tried very hard to get his adopted brother to like him. Trimaar took him into his care and helped him become an excellent swimmer. Throughout the years, Bentho showed Kalmaar scrolls and a model of Wojira, but to no avail.
Years later, Kalmaar noticed Benthomaar swimming and realized he would be the perfect pawn in his plan to reawaken Wojira. He pretends to apologize and want to start fresh, and Benthomaar is happy to see this. They travel to Tartarus Trench, and when Benthomaar is a bit scared to go on, Kalmaar is able to convince him to do so. They travel through the poisonous vents, and Benthomaar is hit by one, but is able to help his brother avoid it. They are able to find the Temple of Wojira, and when Benthomaar asks what to do next, Kalmaar insults him and makes him go home and realizes that Kalmaar will never love him.
Benthomaar was with Trimaar when he called Kalmaar. He greeted his brother, and listened to Kalmaar's explanation. He mentioned that it was very sad how there were many ships sinking.
Benthomaar entered the room after Kalmaar shot Trimaar, and attempted to get help for Trimaar. When Kalmaar refuses to help, he carries Trimaar, looking for a physician. However, Trimaar asks him to put him down, and in his final moments, asks Benthomaar to help the ninja and tells him that while he was not born to him, he claims Benthomaar as his son and that he loves him.
Benthomaar assists the ninja in escaping from Kalmaar and the Maaray Guards. The ninja briefly discuss if he can be trusted or not while Benthomaar tells a group of Maaray Guards that Kalmaar had sent for them before leading the ninja further towards the hangar bay. However, when they got there, they found the bay flooded with Maaray Guards and a fight broke out. Kalmaar finds out about his brother's treachery and leads a group of Maaray Guards to hunt him and the ninja down. In the end, they succeed in escaping the hangar bay, albeit with Kalmaar in close pursuit. They manage to shake him off in a tunnel by redirecting a group of missiles to cause a cave-in right as the bounty passes through.
Benthomaar tells the ninja his story, concluding that he is alone. However, the ninja console him, telling him that they are his friends.
Powers and abilities
Benthomaar has an excellent fighting ability, and enhanced strength, as he was able to catch and throw an eel against a wall. He is also skilled in using a spear and notably a strong swimmer. He also appears to be able to breathe both on land and on sea.
- 169. "The Wrath of Kalmaar"
- 170. "Long Live the King"
- 171. "Escape from Merlopia"
- 172. "The Tale of Benthomaar"
- 173. "The Storm Amulet"
- 174. "Riddle of the Sphinx"
- 176. "Master of the Sea"
- 177. "The Calm Before the Storm"
- 178. "Assault on Ninjago City"
- 179. "Nyad"
- 180. "The Turn of the Tide"
Behind the scenes
- The name "Benthomaar" may be a play on the Greek word "benthos" and the latin word root "Mar"; meaning "the collection of organisms at the bottom of a body of water" and "ocean or pool" respectively.
- The name may also be a play on the benthic zone, the aquatic zone for the seafloor.
- King Trimaar claims in the flashback in "The Tale of Benthomaar" that the name means "deep sea".
- In the present day, Benthomaar has Twitchy Tim's hair piece, which was originally used on The Joker from The LEGO Batman Movie.
- On April 30, 2021, Cole Howard, Benthomaar's voice actor, confirmed that he would be getting a minifigure.
- He is often corrected by Kalmaar when he calls him "brother", with Kalmaar correcting him with "adopted brother".
- As a child, the light blue part on Benthomaar's body was circular, but in the present day, it is shaped like a muscular body. This implies that he has become stronger over time.
- He is the third adopted character, the first two being Jay and Harumi.
- Out of these characters, he is the second to be royalty.
- He is the third prince to appear in Ninjago, the first being Nadakhan and the second being Kalmaar.