|"I was bitten by a snake."
Prior to the series
When the sons of the First Spinjitzu Master went to the lake, they took the staffs and fought and trained with them along the way. However, when they decided to go to the Serpentine Valley instead, they were caught by Pyro Vipers and let the staffs to the ground, where they were left lying as they were led to the pyramid. Later, when they learned that Aspheera wanted to overthrow King Mambo V, they stole their father's scrolls and placed them on their staffs. Then they trained in the woods for a while, and Wu managed to break the huge rock in half with the help of staff. As they walked into the pyramid, they hung the staffs on their backs along with the scrolls. Then they broke into the pyramid and defeated Aspheera with the staff and the scroll. Wu could have killed her, but he recovered in time and threw the staff to the ground, and Garmadon did a moment later. When Wu visited Aspheera in her cell, he had staff on his back, even though he and his brother were going home.
After possessing Lloyd, Morro goes to Steep Wisdom tea shop looking for Master Wu and the Staff. After a battle between the ninja and Wu, the staff is dropped over some dust, revealing the engraved symbols. Both Wu and Morro are surprised at this, and the struggle continues. Master Wu manages to retrieve the staff, and he, the ninja, and Nya escape on the Destiny's Bounty.
Morro chases the Destiny's Bounty on his dragon to get the staff back. He lands on the ship and attacks the ninja. While Jay, Cole, and Nya (as Samurai X) try to fend him off, Wu, Kai, and Zane brought it to their quarters in an attempt to print the symbols on parchment paper. However, despite their efforts, Morro gains the staff and flies it away. Luckily, Wu managed to make an imprint of the message before giving up the staff, which is later deciphered by Misako, who reveals that the first symbol means "Airjitzu."
Later that night, Morro walks into a bar, where he lays out the staff on some chalk, revealing the symbols. He then summons Wrayth, who may have helped him figure out the first symbol.
The ninja see that the last symbol on the staff refers to the First Spinjitzu Master's tomb.
The ninja, Morro, and his Ghost Warriors go to the Tomb of the First Spinjitzu Master. After the ninja complete the first challenge, the second challenge appears to be to obtain the First Spinjitzu Master's other staff. They try extremely hard to get it but no matter how hard they try, it is impossible. Then Cole realizes that they have to think about the clue, "A Spinjitzu Master cannot," meaning that since they are all Spinjitzu Masters, they were never meant to get the staff.
When the stranded ninja go to save Faith, Wu holds a metal staff in his hand as a weapon.
When Wu regains his memories, he is attacked by the Dragon Hunter with metal staff, which Wu takes from her when he defeats her and defends himself against other hunters. However, when Iron Baron urges him to give up, Wu does so and throws the staff to the ground.
When Mystake fights Garmadon, she creates a staff to attack the emperor.
When the ninja talk to Wu and he sits on the porch of the monastery, his staff leans against the door behind him.
Later, when Wu talks to the ninja about balance while standing on long bamboo sticks, he blows up his cup of tea and grabs it at the end of his staff and balances with it. Then he throws the cup with the staff and grabs it in his hand and drinks.
Later, when he seems to walk in the clouds, he holds his staff with both hands.
As Wu walks around the courtyard and thinks, he leans on his staff.
When Wu talks to Kai, Nya and Jay about the balance in the monastery, he balances with the staff on his hand. When the portal opens in the sky and Firstbourne flies out of it, Wu's staff falls. He then picks it up and runs down the stairs. When Faith notices, he throws the staff to the ground, where he leaves it lying.
When Wu talks to Faith in the monastery, he keeps his staff until the ninja and Garmadon arrive. When his brother throws the Golden Armor into his hands, Wu is forced to drop his staff and let it fall to the ground. When the ninja stand in front of the walls of the monastery, Wu comes to them from the gate, leaning on his staff, so that he can also fight Oni. When the enemies arrive, Wu points to the gate for the monks to close and then stands in a fighting pose with the staff. Wu then does Spinjitzu with the staff to save Nya. Later, when they retreat to the monastery, Wu keeps his staff while doing Spinjitzu and together with the others he creates the Tornado of Creation. When Oni are defeated, Wu's staff remains lying in the courtyard, but he has it again during the ninja's ceremony in the monastery.
Prior to Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu
Within six months of the Oni's invasion, Wu acquired a new staff, which, unlike the bamboo staff, is made of ordinary wood with a white fabric for a better grip. Wu procures more such staff and hangs them on the wall in his room in the Monastery of Spinjitzu.
When Wu finds the ninja using the Bell of Divinity as a hot tub, he gets angry and pisses Lloyd by his staff as he farts in the water. He then points out the ninja as softened, and when he calls them to the monastery, he continues with it. When the ninja go to talk in the courtyard with him, he sweeps the ground. When asked how they can stop him from setting up traps, he throws a broom at the pillar supporting the monastery, where he has a leaning staff. This bounces off the pole and hits him directly in his hand. He then jumps into the air and strikes the ground with the staff, creating a great wave of energy that throws the ninja to the ground. When fighting them, he only uses his staff to successfully defend against their attack.
When Lloyd comes to Wu's room to get a quest tip from him, three spare staffs are hung on the wall behind the master. When Lloyd leaves the room, he hits the door so hard that all the staffs fall to the ground.
When the ninja arrive in the courtyard with their luggage, Wu asks them what's going on while holding the staff. He keeps it in his hand in the lift to the hangar bay and even though he is with P.I.X.A.L. at the garage door when the ninja leave.
When Kai, Cole, Jay and P.I.X.A.L. talk to Wu in his room, there are three spare staffs on the wall. Later, when the monastery siege begins, Wu holds his staff in hand and uses it to blast a stone into Pyro Viper, who is trying to climb the wall of the monastery. Later he holds the staff in the hangar bay.
Wu holds his staff when he is with the ninja in the hangar bay.
When the ninja are hiding in hangar bay, Wu keeps his staff in his hands. When Zane rescues him for the banishment to the Never-Realm, Wu's staff falls out of his hand and falls to the ground next to him.
When Wu enters his room followed by the ninja, he picks up his staff, which is leaning against a wall near the door, and then lays it on the floor next to the locker where Aspheera's staff is hiding. When the ninja convince him to go to the Never-Realm in the morning, he starts meditating while his staff is lying next to him and the other three are on the wall behind him.
Wu takes his staff to Shintaro and holds it in his hand on Destiny's Bounty during their journey. When he is attacked by a Dire Bat, he falls down and the staff falls with him on a deck. It probably falls out of the ship when the mast is broken and the ship is tilted to the side.
Wu takes his staff on an expedition to an uncharted island. As he, Misako, Clutch Powers and his interns explore the jungle, Wu has his staff slung on his back under his cape. When they are attacked by the Stone Guardians, he takes his staff to his hand, twists it a few times in the hand and is ready to fight. As they try to escape, Wu blow up his staff and grabbs it again for a more comfortable hold. After being captured by the Keepers, Wu is likely to lose his staff in the jungle.
When Wu entered the courthouse, he had his staff in his hand. Later he would use the staff to knock Cole after he was meditating on concrete bricks.
During Nya's training with Maya in the courtyard, Wu's staff leans on one of the monastery's support pillars. When Nya does not do the movements properly, her mother picks up the staff at great speed, thus improving her daughter's movements.
As Kai trains with Ray in the courtyard of the monastery, Wu jumps on a golden dragon statue in the middle, where he stands while holding staff.
Later, when Kai, Cole, Ray, Misako and Wu break into the Explorer's Club, Wu still holds his staff. When they manage to answer the riddle of the Sphinx, they go inside the club, Wu holds the staff. When King Kalmaar breaks into the club and challenges Wu to give him the Storm Amulet, Wu twists the staff in his hand several times and prepares to fight. He then hits Kalmaar in the face and twists the staff again. Kalmaar tries to take the Amulet from him, but Wu defends himself with the staff. When they fight again, Wu defends himself with an attack by the staff. Kalmaar wraps his tentacle around the staff and throws Wu to the other side of the room, knocking the master's staff out of his hands. However, Wu does not give up and stands on the corner of the staff lying on the ground, which jumps right into his hands. The two then run towards each other and collide.
When Kalmaar escapes from the club, Wu attacks him while holding the staff. When Kalmaar fired by the trident at Cole, Wu jumped in front of him and covered the attack with staff, but fell to the ground. When he was attacked by the other Merlopians, he stood up and fought.
When Kalmaar came to the harbor and imagined the destruction of Ninjago City, Wu ran up to him along the pier and kicked him in the chest while holding the staff. When Misako attacked Kalmaar, but failed andhe aimed his trident at her, Wu was startled and jumped on the trident so that Kalmaar could not fire. However, when the Merlopians threatened Kai, Cole, Ray, and Kalmaar headed for Misako, Wu threw his staff to the ground and surrendered.
Later, when Jay unties thse five, Zane throw the staff at Wu. Wu then twisted it over in his hand and attacked the Merlopians.
When Wojira used the Fury of the Storm and threw Jay and Wu away, the blue ninja took Wu's staff from the ground, which fell out after Wu falls. He then jumped on the head of Wojira, where he fought with Kalmaar. After a brief fight, however, he was defeated and the staff fell into the ocean that covered the city.
Bo staff is a sand-brown bamboo staff with a slightly enlarged section near one end. Since Season 11, Wu has been using a new staff that is made of a different darker wood, it has not enlarged one end and there is a white fabric in the middle of the staff for a more comfortable grip. There are notches around the perimeter at both ends of the staff.
In the sets, the staff is brown without an enlarged one end, although on one side of the staff is a thicker part. In 71702 Golden Mech, the staff is sand-brown color to look more like its counterpart in the show.
Techno Wu uses bo staff made of black wood or metal with red markings.
When you don't have the words, use a Really Big stick to get your point across. It may not be pretty, but - POW - it works. It's very effective, 'cause no one likes to get hit with a Really Big Stick.[link unavailable]
Some weapons just never go out of style. Sensei Wu swears by the ancient Nin-jô. Simple and classic, this staff knows no limits in the hands of the trained Ninja.[link unavailable]
- Staff of Dragons
- Staff of the First Spinjitzu Master
- Driftwood bo staff
- Blinding Staff
- Iron Baron's staff
- Fangdam's Golden Staff
- Gold-Bladed Saw Staff
- Lightning staff
- Deepstone Staff
- Ceremonial staff
- A bo staff comes with Master Garmadon in 70750 Ninja DB X, but he is never seen in the carrying one in Season 4. He also wields one in the Ninjago history mural.
- A bo staff is also used in The LEGO Ninjago Movie where it also serves as a flute.
- Although originally designed as a weapon, it is sometimes used as a walking stick.
- In 71702 Golden Mech, bo staff is a sand-brown color that more closely matches its counterpart in the show where it's a bamboo staff. In all other sets, however, the staff is of the usual brown color, even in later sets.
- In the Ninjago history mural, Garmadon's staff is the same as in the sets, although his staff is bamboo staff in the show.
- However, during the duel of Garmadon and Wu in "Once Bitten, Twice Shy," Garmadon used the staff that is included in the sets.
- In Season 11, Wu turns out to have at least three spare staffs.
- In 71718 Wu's Battle Dragon, the staff is changed to consist of two short sticks that are connected by a gun-metal handle. This staff probably represents Wu's staff from Season 11, although the handle is gun-metal and not white.
- A bo staff is available in brown, sand-brown, black, white and gold color.
- A bo staff is the name of the same staff in real life.
- The martial art with bo staff is called Stick-fighting.
- In "Big Trouble, Little Ninjago" baby Wu uses a small bo staff as reference to his older counterpart.
- According to the Character Encyclopedia New Edition, the staff appeared in more than 800 LEGO sets.
- As shown in The Island, Wu can place his staff under the cape on his back, just as the ninja can place weapons on their backs.
- According to Ninjago Magazine, Wu upgraded his staff in the Realm of Oni and Dragons by adding gold handles and dragon teeth. This staff never appeared in the show but appears in 891945 Young Wu.
- On the cover of The Uncharted Island, Wu uses a bamboo staff in green, instead of his classic staff, which he has been using since Season 11. This is probably an error.
- According to the Character Encyclopedia Updated and Expanded, Garmadon uses his staff for berating students instead of fighting.
- This can be seen as true in "The Art of the Silent Fist" when Garmadon hits Jay with his staff for him to settle down.
- In both the first episodes of the pilot episodes and March of the Oni, the bo staff appears shortened in one scene.
- Prime Empire is the only season where the staff does not show up at all.
- Despite the fact that in the flashback in "The Golden Weapon" Wu had his staff with him when he met Cole on the tallest mountain of Ninjago, in the extended flashback in "The Jade Princess" he has no staff.
- During the ninja's meeting with Hutchins at Borg Tower in "The Mask of Deception," a bo staff is stored under a glass case. According to Tommy Andreasen, this is probably not the staff of the First Spinjitzu Master, nor does it have any historical value.
- During the show, Wu demonstrates a technique with the staff in several episodes, in which he twists the staff in his hand several times to catch it better. He uses it in "Winds of Change," "The Hands of Time," "Pause and Effect," "Lost in Time," "Wasted True Potential," "Uncharted," "Riddle of the Sphinx," Papergirl," and Master of the Sea."
The images on Bo staff need to be organized.