Following the Serpentine War, Chen and his disciple Clouse were exiled to the island. While there, Clouse cloaked the island with his Dark Magic and Chen secretly began building up his criminal empire while also starting a chain of noodle houses in Ninjago. Many years later, Chen would launch a second attempt to divide the Elemental Masters, this time through the Tournament of Elements, an event which was held on the island.
After receiving the invitation to compete in the tournament, the ninja entered Chen's ferry along with Garmadon. Upon arriving at the island, the ninja discovered they weren't the only ones with elemental powers. The ninja would compete against the other Elemental Masters throughout the Tournament, before Chen's true plans were unveiled, prompting the competitors to unite and fight him and his army.
The ninja gained control of the island after overwhelming Chen's warriors, but after the Anacondrai transformation spell was completed, the warriors regained control of the island and left the ninja there by taking the remaining Blade-Copters. Despite this, the ninja and their allies managed to escape using their Elemental Dragons.
- 1 Arenas
- 2 Other locations
- 3 LEGO.com description
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 References
This arena was used on the second day of the tournament for the duel between Gravis and Griffin Turner. A Jadeblade was placed at the top of the cherry tree, evenly matching the power of Gravity against Speed. A stand was constructed nearby where Chen and the other spectators can observe the duel.
This arena was used for the second round during the battle between Kai and Ash. It was comprised in a rocky area of the island where a flimsy wooden bridge was placed precariously over a pool of lava. A small stand was constructed nearby, which was filled with the Elemental Masters during the fight.
During the battle, Kai destroyed the bridge and the Jadeblade fell onto one of the rocks.
- Main article: Chen's Coliseum
Below the island is a series of underground tunnels connecting the palace, dungeons, noodle factories, and Anacondrai Temple. Due to their maze-like nature, it is easy for one lacking knowledge of the way to become lost. The tunnels are filled with booby-traps including giant swinging axes. Clouse's pet serpent lurks in the caverns.
- Main article: Anacondrai Temple
- Main article: Noodle factory
- Main article: Crystal Caves
Located off the west coast of NINJAGO Island, this is the secret headquarters of Master Chen’s operation. When Chen was exiled to this island after the Serpentine War, Garmadon and Wu were not aware until very late that Chen was building a criminal empire. During his reign here, the entire island was cloaked by Clouse’s magic and visits were by invitation only. Chen’s army of Anacondrai worshippers was located here, as well as his tournament arena. Geographically diverse, with a volcano, mountains and waterfalls, those allowed to visit here soon discovered they could never leave without Chen’s permission. The infamous Tournament of Elements was held here.
Chen’s Coliseum was a large arena designed to host gladiatorial-style matches. It was located near Chen’s Palace and was the site of the battle between Jay and Cole.
- 35. "The Invitation"
- 36. "Only One Can Remain"
- 37. "Versus"
- 38. "Ninja Roll"
- 39. "Spy for a Spy"
- 40. "Spellbound"
- 41. "The Forgotten Element"
- 42. "The Day of the Dragon"
- LEGO Ninjago: Tournament (non-canon)
- Ninjago Rush (non-canon)
- LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin (non-canon)
- LEGO Dimensions (non-canon)
- The Anacondrai designs on the outside of Chen's Palace appear to be stylistically inspired by Aztec art.
- At some point after the Tournament, Ronin must have traveled to the Island and stolen many artifacts, including the Jadeblades, the Vengestone net, the Blade Cup, and Clouse's skull ink jar, as they were all seen in Ronin's pawn shop.
- This was the second island besides Ninjago to be revealed in the TV series, preceded by the Dark Island and followed by Tiger Widow Island, Dyer Island, and the Island of the Keepers.
In other media
- Dark Island Trilogy, Part 3 Wu's Journal