This template has been added to the following article because some or most of the images added here are not up to Ninjago Wiki standards.
For further help and advice, please visit the image policy to see what quality images the wiki expects.
|“You're an explorer. All you do is adventure!”|
“No. All I did was adventure. Now all I'm gonna do is cash big checks for writing books about those adventures.”
|— Lloyd and Clutch in "Under Siege"|
Professor Clutch Powers, also known as Doctor Powers, is a famous adventurer and suspended member of the Explorers Club. He most likely is the one who created the Blade Cup after probably finding and retrieving the Fangblade needed for the cup from the pyramid. He helped the ninja enter the pyramid and accidentally release Aspheera. He was blasted away by the hands of Aspheera and survived despite several injuries, including a broken leg.
- 1 History
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Gallery
- 5 References
Clutch was a member of the Explorers Club and collecting priceless artifacts on his adventures, including an Amulet of Protection and a Scroll of Forbidden Spinjitzu. He wrote a few books about his adventures, such as Boobytraps and How to Survive Them and Famous Places That I Will Find Before Anyone Else, the latter of which mentioned the Heart of the Mountain in Shintaro.
Eventually, Clutch stopped exploring for ten years.
He discovered the pyramid in the Desert of Doom and was interviewed by Gayle Gossip who asked him about what was in the pyramid and he replied stating that he is not going inside because there are booby traps only a ninja could survive.
The ninja came to him and asked him to help them enter the pyramid and he refused. At that moment, his assistant, Dwayne, alerted him to a call from Cecil Putnam, saying that his membership had expired because he had not explored in over ten years. Clutch then decided to help the ninja enter the pyramid, he helped the ninja get past a simple suspension bridge. He then told the ninja not to touch a cobweb because it was a trick wire, However, Jay kicked it, causing Clutch and the ninja to fall down a ramp into a room full of spikes. Kai used his fire to destroy several spikes allowing them all to survive before coming across the skeleton of one of Powers' competitors who never came across the chapter of spikes in his book. Cole then used his super strength to let them get through a closing door and into the tomb of Aspheera. They found a wall with a puzzle of the Snake Sorceress and Jay and Nya finished the puzzle releasing her. While the ninja fought Aspheera, Clutch Powers escaped and went outside the Pyramid where he was confronted by Aspheera, he taunted her with the Ancient Amulet of Protection. The Snake Sorceress used magic to cause the Pyramid to erupt. Clutch then jumped off the ledge of the pyramid and slid down the side. He was then launched toward Ninjago City on a rock.
Clutch landed in Ninjago City and was found by Nelson and Antonia who asked him what happened and he weakly told them that the ninja were in trouble. He was injured in the accident and was carried off in an ambulance. Knowing this Lil' Nelson and Antonia went to the Monastery of Spinjitzu and warned Wu.
At the hospital, it is shown that Clutch has a concussion and a broken leg before asking a nurse to raise his bed. Later, while writing a memoir, Lloyd, Nya, and Zane visit him, requesting his help on finding the second Scroll of Forbidden Spinjitzu, but after telling them that it was with the Explorers Club, he refuses to help them further, going as far as claiming he was feeling lightheaded, causing the nurse and some orderlies to kick the three ninja out, clicking his tongue at the angered Lloyd.
While walking on the streets in Ninjago City, Clutch Powers discovers the Teapot of Tyrahn. As he walks off-screen, he rubs the teapot. A flash of light is seen, but it is unknown what followed.
Clutch Powers is seen watching Jay in his Blue Dragon.
- 100. "Questing for Quests"
- 103. "Boobytraps and How to Survive Them"
- 104. "The News Never Sleeps!"
- 107. "Ninja vs Lava" (pictured)
- 110. "Under Siege"
- 113. "A Cold Goodbye" (pictured)
- 117. "The Absolute Worst" (pictured)
- 129. "Would You Like to Enter Prime Empire?" (no lines)
- 140. "Stop, Drop and Side Scroll" (pictured; pixelated)
- 144. "Game Over" (no lines)
- 145. "Shintaro" (pictured)
- He was an adventurer in LEGO: The Adventures of Clutch Powers. His appearance in the series is a reference to that movie, although it is not canon to Ninjago. This Clutch is a different take on the character.
- The Czech version of Season 11 is the only one where Clutch is voiced by the same voice actor as in the movie.
- Cecil Putnam's comments in "Boobytraps and How to Survive Them" that Clutch has "not explored in over 10 years" is a nod to his film, which was released in 2010. However, the statement is not technically true in terms of real-life dates, as only nine years had passed between the film's release and the television premiere of this episode.
- He was mentioned by Cole in the episode "The Royal Blacksmiths", which aired seven years before his first physical appearance in "Questing for Quests".
- His name is a pun on "clutch power", the force that keeps LEGO bricks together.
- It's possible he was the one to bring the Giant Stone Warrior back up from the bottomless pit between "The Stone Army" and "The Greatest Fear of All".
- Despite predating Ninjago, 40342 LEGO NINJAGO 2019 Minifigure Set is the first time that Clutch has ever appeared as a Minifigure, and so far he has only appeared in Ninjago sets.
- He wears an eye patch despite not needing it, and he often switches it from left to right.
- He is the second Ninjago Minifigure to have the utility belt piece (originating from Batman from The LEGO Batman Movie), the first being Skylor from the Hunted set 70651 Throne Room Showdown.
- However, his belt piece is recolored and printed on in the series, unlike Skylor, whose belt was a separate piece in the series.
- Like Misako before the fifth season, Clutch's LEGO Minifigure lacks the pocket prints on his trousers in comparison to his appearance in the show.
- While Clutch's hair and torso are near identical to his 2010 counterpart in the movie LEGO: The Adventures of Clutch Powers, his legs are now dark tan, while in the film they were blue.
- Clutch's current appearance also has facial hair, having some stubble and sideburns.
- According to Ian James Corlett, he has been voicing Clutch Powers again.
- Clutch is similar to Johnny Thunder from LEGO's Adventurers theme, in that they are both classic LEGO adventurer characters who have later been released in other LEGO themes with more modern, updated designs.
- Vania appears to be a fan of Clutch Powers, as she mentioned his books in "The Real Fall" and "Masters Never Quit."
- She often quotes some of the lines from his books.
- His hairpiece is Lloyd's and Garmadon (young)'s old hairpiece, just with different coloring.
In LEGO Ninjago
The images on Clutch Powers need to be organized.
- "The Explorers Club"
- "Boobytraps and How to Survive Them"
- "Masters Never Quit"
- "The Royal Blacksmiths"
- Character Encyclopedia New Edition