|“You're an explorer. All you do is adventure!”|
“No. All I did was adventure. Now all I'm gonna do is cash big checks for writing books about those adventures. Cha-ching!”
|— Lloyd and Clutch|
Professor Clutch Powers is a famous adventurer and suspended member of the Explorers Club. He most likely is the one who created the Blade Cup after probably finding and retrieving the Fangblade needed for the cup from the Desert Pyramid. He helped the Ninja enter the Ancient Pyramid and accidentally release Aspheera. He was blasted away by the hands of Aspheera and survived despite several injuries, including a broken leg.
He was a member of the Explorers Club and collecting priceless artifacts on his adventures, including an Amulet of Protection and a Scroll of Forbidden Spinjitzu. He wrote a few books about his adventures, one of which is a guide about how to survive booby traps, called Boobytraps and How to Survive Them. As well as a book to find famous places called Famous Places That I Will Find Before Anyone Else.
Eventually, he went to the desert pyramid, found one of the four Fangblades, and turned it into the Blade Cup. However, he stopped exploring for ten years.
He discovered the Ancient Pyramid in the Desert of Doom and was interviewed by Gayle Gossip who asked him about what was in the pyramid and he replied stating that he is not going inside because there are booby traps only a Ninja could survive.
The Ninja came to him and asked him to help them enter the pyramid and he refused. At that moment, his assistant, Dwayne, alerted him to a call from Cecil Putnam, saying that his membership had expired because he had not explored in over ten years. Clutch then decided to help the Ninja enter the pyramid, he helped the Ninja get past a simple suspension bridge. He then told the Ninja not to touch a cobweb because it was a trick wire, However, Jay hit it causing Clutch and the Ninja to fall down a hill into a room full of spikes. Kai used his fire to destroy several spikes allowing them all to survive before coming across the skeleton of one of Powers' competitors who never came across the chapter of spikes in his book. Cole then used his super strength to let them get through a closing door and into the tomb of Aspheera. They found a wall with a puzzle of the Snake Sorceress and Jay and Nya finished the puzzle releasing her. While the Ninja fought Aspheera, Clutch Powers escaped and went outside the Pyramid where he was confronted by Aspheera, he taunted her with the Ancient Amulet of Protection. The Snake Sorceress used magic to cause the Pyramid to erupt. Clutch then jumped off the ledge of the pyramid and slid down the side. He was then launched toward Ninjago City on a rock.
Clutch landed in Ninjago City and was found by Lil' Nelson and Antonia who asked him what happened and he weakly told them that the Ninja were in trouble. He was injured in the accident and was carried off in an ambulance. Knowing this Lil' Nelson and Antonia went to the Monastery of Spinjitzu and warned Wu.
At the hospital, it is shown that Clutch has a concussion and a broken leg before asking a nurse to raise his bed. Later, while writing a memoir, Lloyd, Nya, and Zane visit him, requesting his help on finding the second Scroll of Forbidden Spinjitzu, but after telling them that it was with the Explorers Club, he refuses to help them further, going as far as claiming he was feeling lightheaded, causing the nurse and some orderlies to kick the three Ninja out, clicking his tongue at the angered Lloyd.
While walking on the streets in Ninjago City, Clutch Powers discovers the Teapot of Tyrahn. As he walks off-screen, he rubs the teapot. A flash of light is seen, but it is unknown what followed.
Clutch Powers is seen watching Jay in his Cyber Dragon.
- 100. "Questing for Quests"
- 103. "Boobytraps and How to Survive Them"
- 104. "The News Never Sleeps"
- 107. "Ninja vs Lava" (pictured)
- 110. "Under Siege"
- 117. "The Absolute Worst" (pictured)
- 129. "Would You Like to Enter Prime Empire?"
- 140. "Stop, Drop and Side Scroll" (pictured; pixelated)
- 144. "Game Over"
- 145. "Shintaro" (pictured)
- He was an adventurer in LEGO: The Adventures Of Clutch Powers. His appearance in the series is a reference to that movie, although it is not canon to Ninjago. This Clutch is a different take on the character.
- He was mentioned by Cole in the episode "The Royal Blacksmiths" which first aired a whole seven years before his first physical appearance in "Questing for Quests."
- His name is a pun on "clutch power", the force that keeps LEGO bricks together.
- Despite predating Ninjago, 40342 LEGO NINJAGO 2019 Minifigure Set is the first and only time that Clutch has ever appeared as a minifigure.
- He makes his first on-screen appearance in "Questing for Quests."
- He wears an eye patch despite not needing it, and would often switch it from left to right.
- He is the second Ninjago Minifigure to have the utility belt piece, the first being Skylor from the Hunted set 70651 Throne Room Showdown.
- However, his belt piece is recolored and printed on in the series.
- Like Misako, his LEGO Minifigure lacks the pocket prints on his trousers in comparison to his appearance in the show. Although in the fifth season and onwards, Misako's trousers lacks the pocket prints in the show as well.
- While Clutch's hair and torso are near identical to his 2010 counterpart in the movie LEGO: The Adventures of Clutch Powers, his legs are now dark tan, while in the film they were blue.
- Clutch's current appearance also has facial hair, having some stubble and sideburns.