|“Well, supposedly, the Blade Cup was made by this guy who collected priceless artifacts. His name was something like, uh, Dutch...no, Clutch. Clutch Powers! Anyway, it gets passed on to each year's winner.”|
Professor Clutch Powers is a famous adventurer. He presumably is the one who created the Blade Cup after presumably finding and retrieving the Fangblade from the Desert Pyramid. He also helped the ninja enter the Ancient Pyramid and release the Pyro Vipers. He was blasted away by the hands of Aspheera and survived despite several injuries.
He was a member of the Explorers Club and collecting priceless artifacts on his adventures, including a Ancient Amulet of Protection. He wrote a book about his adventures with a guide about how to survive booby traps. However, he stopped exploring for ten years.
He discovered the Ancient Pyramid In the Desert of Doom and was interviewed by Gayle Gossip who asked him about what was in the pyramid and he replied stating that he is not going in side because there are booby traps only a ninja could survive.
The ninja came to him and asked him to help them enter the pyramid and he refused. At that moment, he got a call from the leader of the Explorers Club saying that his membership had expired because he had not explored in over ten years. Clutch then decided to help the Ninja enter the pyramid, He helped the Ninja get past a simple suspension bridge. He then told the Ninja not to touch a cobweb because it was a trick wire, However Jay hit it causing Clutch and the ninja to fall down a hill into a room full of spikes. Kai used his fire to destroy several spikes allowing them all to survive before coming across the skeleton of one of Powers' competitors who never came across the chapter of spikes in his book. Cole then used his super strength to let them get through a closing door and into the tomb of Aspheera. They found a wall with puzzle of the Snake Sorceress and Jay and Nya finished the puzzle releasing her. While the ninja fought Aspheera, Clutch Powers escaped and went outside the Pyramid where he was confronted by Aspheera, he taunted her with the ancient amulet of protection. The Snake Sorceress used magic to cause the Pyramid to erupt. Clutch then jumped off the ledge of the pyramid and slid down the side. He was then launched toward Ninjago City on a rock.
Clutch landed in Ninjago City and was found by Lil' Nelson and Antonia who asked him what happened and he told them the ninja were in trouble. He was injured in the accident and was carried off in an ambulance. Knowing this Lil' Nelson and Antonia went to the Monastery of Spinjitzu and warned Wu.
- 100. "Questing for Quests"
- 103. "Boobytraps and How to Survive Them"
- 104. "The News Never Sleeps"
- 110. "Under Siege"
- He was an adventurer in LEGO: The Adventures Of Clutch Powers. His mention in the series is a reference to that movie, although the movie might not be canon to Ninjago.
- He was mentioned by Cole in the episode "The Royal Blacksmiths."
- His name is pun on "clutch power."
- Despite predating Ninjago, 40342 LEGO NINJAGO 2019 Minifigure Set is the first time that Clutch has ever appeared as a minifigure.
- He makes his first on-screen appearance in Questing for Quests.
- He wears an eye patch despite not needing it, and would often switch it from left to right.
- Despite not wearing one in the series, he is the second Ninjago character to have the utility belt piece, the first being Skylor.