|"While we're stuck waiting, why don't you tell us who's really under there?"
Cole's grandfather was a member of the Alliance; fighting alongside the other Elemental Masters against the serpentine tribes during the first Serpentine War. However, Chen manipulated him during a crucial battle in Birchwood Forest into turning against the other masters and ensuring victory for the Anacondrai, controlling the Master of Earth with Hypnobrai hypnosis.
Pause and Effect (flashback)
During Ray and Maya's explanation to their children, Cole's grandfather is shown with the other Masters despite his betrayal, meaning all animosity between him and the other Masters had ended. He helped battle the Time Twins.
- 40. "Spellbound" (flashback; no lines)
- 65. "The Hands of Time" (painting)
- 66. "The Hatching" (flashback; no lines)
- 67. "A Time of Traitors" (painting)
- 72. "Pause and Effect" (flashback; no lines)
- He shares several physical traits with characters from both Ninjago and other LEGO themes:
- He uses designs from two LEGO The Lord of the Rings characters: Aragorn's face and Gimli's torso.
- He and Chen have the same symbol on the belts of their torsos.
- He has the same helmet as the Golden Master.
- He has the same torso as two of the samurai warriors pictured in the Battle for All of Time painting.
- In one of the flashbacks in "The Hatching", Wu mistakenly refers to Cole's grandfather as "Metal".
- When asked about how Cole's grandfather fought against the other Elemental Masters, Tommy Andreasen responded that the answer would be in his non-canon novel, Way of the Departed. This came true around a week later, when he released Chapter 9 of the story which mentioned that Chen "cleverly used manipulation, deception, dark magic and the hypnotic powers of the snakes to turn Elemental Masters against each others."
- Regarding his age, Tommy Andreasen stated, "You need to be less than 20 to become a parent. Less than 40 to be a grand parent. A grand parent doesn't need to be an old person."
- This means that even without the confirmation that this character is Cole's grandfather, it could be assumed with a high level of certainty that this was the case. As revealed in "The Hands of Time," the Serpentine War took place around forty years before the start of the series, so if the Master of Earth fathered a child shortly after the war, that child could have gone on to become a parent in around twenty years. In another twenty years, however, Cole would already be a teenager, eliminating the possibility of a second generation existing between Cole and the unnamed Master of Earth.
- He is the only known Master of Earth who is not known to have unlocked the Spinjitzu Burst.
- He is the only known parent in the series who may have outlived their child, as his status is unknown, meaning he could still be alive after Lilly's death.