- Not to be confused with the episode.
|“Earlier, when pirates mutinied our ship and locked us in the brig, Captain Soto's journal mentioned they have been looking for a fabled dark island created out of evil itself.”|
|— Lord Garmadon to the Serpentine in "The Stone Army"|
The Dark Island (also referred to as the Island of Darkness) is the sister island of Ninjago. Originally part of the main island, it was split during the battle between the Overlord and the First Spinjitzu Master.
- 1 History
- 1.1 Formation
- 1.2 Pirates vs. Ninja
- 1.3 The Stone Army
- 1.4 The Day Ninjago Stood Still
- 1.5 The Last Voyage
- 1.6 Island of Darkness
- 1.7 The Last Hope
- 1.8 Return of the Overlord
- 1.9 Rise of the Spinjitzu Master
- 1.10 Codename: Arcturus
- 1.11 After the Final Battle
- 1.12 Dark Island Trilogy, Part 1
- 1.13 Dark Island Trilogy, Part 2
- 2 Locations
- 3 Appearances
- 3.1 LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
- 3.1.1 Season 2: Legacy of the Green Ninja
- 3.1.2 Season 3: Rebooted
- 3.1.3 Season 4: Tournament of Elements
- 3.1.4 Ninjago: Decoded
- 3.1.5 Tales from the Monastery of Spinjitzu
- 3.1.6 Season 10: March of the Oni
- 3.1.7 Season 11: Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu
- 3.1.8 Prime Empire Original Shorts
- 3.1.9 Season 13: Master of the Mountain
- 3.2 Dark Island Trilogy
- 3.3 Video games
- 3.1 LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
When the First Spinjitzu Master battled the Overlord for control of Ninjago, the latter's Stone Army threatened to overwhelm the former. In desperation, the First Spinjitzu Master used his powers to split Ninjago in two, with the Overlord's side becoming known as the Island of Darkness. Later, it sank to the bottom of the Endless Sea.
Many years later, a group of pirates, led by Captain Soto, sought the Island of Darkness. They set sail across the Endless Sea in their ship, Destiny's Bounty, but the navigation skills of No-Eyed Pete (or lack thereof) caused them to crash before they ever found the island. Later still, Lord Garmadon discovered mention of the island in Captain Soto's journal and became determined to find it himself.
Lord Garmadon would not actively pursue this goal until after the loss of his Mega Weapon, at which point he informed the Serpentine Generals of the Island of Darkness. Despite Skales' skepticism, the generals accompanied Garmadon as he took a Rattlecopter over the ocean. However, Lord Garmadon was betrayed by Skales and pushed out of the Rattlecopter into the water below.
Ironically, Skales's betrayal led Garmadon to the object of his quest—when he next awoke, he found himself lying on the shores of the Island of Darkness. The Overlord appeared before him and led him through the jungle until Garmadon came upon a large boulder with four hand dials on its surface. Using his four arms, Garmadon turned the dials, causing the full Island of Darkness to rise from the sea.
At the Island, the Overlord has Garmadon scale up a mountain to show him the Celestial Clock.
Zane sends his Falcon to the Island, only for it to be shot down by a Stone Warrior. Later, the Stone Army were shown collecting Dark Matter.
The ninja, having finally arrived on the Island, started to hide their Bounty to ensure the Stone Army can't find them. They later spotted the Temple of Light above one of the mountains.
On the Island, Garmadon laments to the Overlord that he has to battle Lloyd to take over Ninjago. Meanwhile, the ninja are using their new powers, which Wu tells them to stop because it might reveal their location. Later, when the team failed to put the helmet back on the clock in time, they fell off the cliff and into the Endless Sea.
With the Garmatron ready, the Stone Army head to the coast of the Dark Island to fire the weapon at Ninjago. They left the Island through a portal, leaving the ninja behind.
The ninja's hopes are diminished because the Overlord is at Ninjago City and there is no way off the island. When they followed the Falcon, they found the Golden Mech, and the Ultra Dragon came to pick them up.
The ninja went back to the Dark Island to the Temple of Light, where Lloyd gave away his Golden Power to the ninja.
After the Final Battle
Shortly after the Battle of Stiix, Clouse journeyed to the Dark Island, intending to destroy the Temple of Light with the help of the Sky Pirates. Using his magic to influence the Dark Island, Clouse created storms off the coast of the Dark Island which would entrap fishermen long enough for the Sky Pirates to capture them. The fishermen were then taken to Digger's Deep and forced to mine for Dark Matter.
The reports of missing fishermen prompted Misako and Ronin to sail to the Dark Island where they discovered Clouse's plan. They attempted to escape, but Ronin was knocked overboard while Misako was captured by the Sky Pirates. Despite Misako's warnings against doing so, Wu soon led the ninja to go to their rescue, only for the Destiny's Bounty to be caught in a storm that scattered the group. Wu and Lloyd were soon reunited and began traveling inland aboard the damaged Bounty, while Jay and Nya encountered the Sky Pirates and were reunited with Ronin.
Wu and the ninja eventually discovered Clouse and his plans for the Dark Island.
- Temple of Light
- River of Darkness
- Jankikai Jungle
- Shadow Bay
- Mount of Eternal Shadows
- After being separated, the Island of Darkness and the Ninjago mainland appear as the symbol of Yin-Yang, to indicate an equal balance between Light and Shadow.
- Just as the Yin-Yang symbol has a contrasting point in each of its halves, the Island of Darkness has a single area of Light (The Temple of Light).
- The Island of Darkness and Ninjago are both shaped like dragons.
- If the two islands were reunited, the Dark Matter from the Island of Darkness would most likely poison Ninjago.
- This was the first island besides Ninjago to be revealed in the TV series, followed by Chen's Island, Tiger Widow Island, Dyer Island, and the Island of the Keepers.