Dark Magic, also known as Dark Arts, is the dark counterpart of Magic. Similar to the lighter version of the ability, it is generally associated with purple, but also with green and dark blue, except, as the name suggests, darker and more evil. Clouse, the servant of Chen, is the only confirmed user of Dark Magic, although another possible user could also be Bansha, as she was a sorceress. Master Yang is another user when he used the Yin Blade to open a rift to the Departed Realm, similar to how Clouse opened the portal to the Cursed Realm. According to Mystake, the Oni could manipulate their Destruction to summon a powerful Dark Magic. The other users of Magic cannot possess the Dark version of it unless they learn it from a powerful source.
Spells are what ties up with magic; many of them being written in Clouse's Spell Book. However, the book was burnt by Lloyd as a tribute, and in remembrance, of his father.
Prior to the series
Note: These events are listed in no particular order
Centuries before the ninja arrived to Shintaro, the powerful sorcerer Hazza D'ur created the city inside Shintaro Mountain using Dark Magic. At one point after that, he was vanquished, but the Dark Magic still remained in his skull, allowing his soul to persist.
Later on Nineko learned that the only way that she could be better than the First Spinjitzu Master was by becoming immortal, so she study Dark Magic and used her new abilities to drained the life out of the crops from Komala's village, but instead caused the crops to turn black and die.
While searching for the key to immortality, Master Yang's studies led him to discover the Yin Blade. Experimenting with its mystical, life-giving properties, he used it to restore the life of deceased flora, before attempting to use its magic on himself in order to achieve immortality. However, the experiment was flawed, and instead, it resulted in him and his students becoming ghosts, trapped between the realms of the living and departed and unable to leave the Temple of Airjitzu. The Yin Blade then disappeared until it was placed in the Ninjago Museum of History.
Prior to Master of the Mountain
Some years ago, Vangelis learned that in the Dungeons of Shintaro there is the powerful artifact of Dark Magic, the Skull of Hazza D'ur and therefore on tasked the Lowly to retrieve it so it could be destroyed and keep Shintaro safe.
The adventurers managed to overcome all the traps and enter the restricted cave, where Hazza D'ur's skull was placed on a pedestal under a large statue. Korgran tried to take it with his hands, but the skull immediately came to life and tried to possess him with the Dark Magic. However, Korgran managed to drop the skull and it remained dormant. Later, when Vangelis took the skull, Hazza D'ur's soul then appeared in the skull again and began to laugh with Vangelis.
When Lloyd tried to get the Jadeblade, Clouse used Dark Magic to revive Anacondrai symbol on the carpet, which then caught Lloyd's leg and held him. However, Garmadon jumped on Clouse and broke his spell.
When Lloyd almost won the Thunderblade, Chen ordered Clouse to use Dark Magic for sabotage, but Garmadon jumped on him and prevented him from doing so.
As Garmadon fought Clouse in the jungle, the sorcerer used Dark Magic to open a portal to the Cursed Realm, where he tried to banish Garmadon, but was defeated and banished instead.
When Pythor brought the Book of Spells to the Destiny's Bounty, Lloyd used a spell to banish Garmadon to the Cursed Realm instead of the Anacondrai generals. They then cursed the Anacondrai Cultists and enlarged Pythor to his original size.
When the ninja entered the Temple of Airjitzu, Yang used Ghost Magic to scare them. For example, he let the door handles rattle, let the water flow out of the sea picture, created the illusion of Morro, and transferred the entire temple to the Ethereal Divide. When the ninja managed to escape besides Cole, Yang used magic to turn him into a ghost.
When Wu, Nya and Misako were at the Endless Sea near the Tomb of the First Spinjitzu Master, Bansha used Ghost Magic to control Misako and fight Wu through her. However, her spell was interrupted by Nya.
When Cole stole the Yin Blade and went to the Temple of Airjitzu, confronting Yang with the weapon and attempting to attack, he accidentally shatters a jar containing an exit from the Departed Realm and activates it, freeing the souls of Samukai, Kozu, Cryptor, Chen, Morro, Eyezor, Zugu, three Nindroids, and two Stone Swordsmen and Stone Scouts, releasing them onto Ninjago, where they all possessed mannequins of themselves at the Ninjago Museum of History.
Triumphant with the presence of the Yin Blade and the souls of past villains to distract the rest of the ninja, Yang proceeded to seize the weapon from Cole with the help of his deceased students and explained his plan to use the eclipse's Dark Magic to catalyze the powers of the Yin Blade and cut a rift through reality that would allow him to escape from his state of limbo.
With the Yin Blade in hand, Yang proceeded to go to the roof of his temple and activated the artifact, using its reality-warping powers to open the Rift of Return. However, Cole, confronting him, attacked Yang, forcing the latter to defend himself with the Yin Blade. He succeeds, slicing apart Cole's weapon in the process. However, when Cole's friends arrived to support him, he unlocked and used his RX powers to attack Yang, who attempted to shield himself with the Yin Blade. Unable to withstand the assault, the Yin Blade was shattered by Cole's attack, and with its destruction and the ending Yin-Yang Eclipse, causing the Rift of Return to close as a result.
When the ninja corneed Mr. E in front of the Mask of Deception's display case, he brought along the Oni Mask of Vengeance and put it on, where it gave him two additional arms and swords. Mr. E fought off the ninja, eventually knocking them down after utilizing the mask's power to use Jay's Lightning against them.
Mr. E used the Oni Mask of Vengeance to fight the ninja while trying to escape. When fighting Lloyd, the latter managed to knock the mask of Mr. E's head, undoing the effects on him.
Killow used the Oni Mask of Deception to lift rocks into the air in an attempt to crush Zane during the bike race after finding out he was a spy, trying to make him lose the race. However, Zane managed to dodge all of his attacks, forcing Killow to escape with the mask while Mr. E fought Zane.
Killow used the Oni Mask of Deception's telekinetic powers to create a bridge of rocks over a trench for the Sons of Garmadon to cross in order to reach the crashed Destiny's Bounty. After reaching the Bounty, Killow and Mr. E both put on the Oni Masks of Deception and Vengeance respectively, when confronting the ninja.
Lloyd and Harumi managed to locate the Oni Mask of Hatred within the Oni Temple. Harumi attempted to grab it, but a Dark Magic made it so she couldn't. She then explained to Lloyd that someone with Oni blood can obtain the mask. Later, Harumi caught it while she managed to use her knife to hold onto the side of the platform. Armed with the Oni Mask of Hatred, Harumi put it on, using its powers to jump back onto the platform. Lloyd questions what the mask did to her, where she reveals that it has made her invincible to all forms of damage. After a very brief fight, Harumi revealed to Lloyd that she wanted him to feel the pain she has felt following the death of her parents by having Lord Garmadon destroy Lloyd. Harumi then proceeded to flee from the temple with the mask, utilizing her invincibility to destroy the temple in an effort to destroy Lloyd.
Harumi soon regrouped with the Sons of Garmadon, where she took off the Oni Mask of Hatred as Killow rejoiced that they now have all three. Later, the ninja and Sons of Garmadon fought Crabby, with Mr. E and Killow utilizing the Oni Masks of Vengeance and Deception to help fight the beast.
Killow and Ultra Violet used the Oni Masks of Deception and Hatred to fend off the Ninjago City Police while Harumi and the other Sons of Garmadon members help finalize the Temple of Resurrection within the Royal Palace.
Later on, Mr. E, Killow, and Ultra Violet all placed the three Oni Masks into position at the ceremony. The masks then levitated from their hands, floating in a triangle formation. As Harumi recited the ritual, the three masks lighted up, connecting each other with beams of Dark Magic, which soon created a rift to the Departed Realm. Eventually, the ninja arrived to stop the resurrection of Lord Garmadon, where they were successful in rescuing Lloyd and Misako and preventing Harumi in finishing the ritual. Despite this, however, the ninja were too late; Lord Garmadon was reborn.
Harumi would use the Oni Mask of Hatred after she confronted the now powerless Lloyd and Toddler Wu on a rooftop. She would continue to chase Lloyd while using the mask's powers to her advantage. After Lloyd escaped Harumi with Nya, Misako, and P.I.X.A.L. in the same fashion Mr. E did prior, Harumi took off the mask while angrily looking towards Lloyd.
Mr. E utilizes the Oni Mask of Vengeance while confronting the leading members of the Resistance following the discovery of the ninja's survival.
During the Sons of Garmadon's surprise attack on the Resistance's headquarters, Harumi and Killow utilized the Oni Masks of Hatred and Deception respectively, effectively using their powers to help overpower the Elemental Masters.
After Harumi was captured by the remaining members of the Resistance, the Oni Mask of Hatred was discovered by Skylor and Mystake amongst Harumi's possessions. Skylor questions if Lloyd should use it as a substitute for his missing powers, but Mystake warns of the mask's Dark Magic. However, Lloyd simple throws the mask on the ground in front of Harumi, realizing that it would be part of her plan if they used the mask.
As Skylor gained control over the Colossus, a small Sons of Garmadon team lead by Ultra Violet and Killow arrive in the streets to apprehend the remaining members of the Resistance. Ultra Violet put on the Oni Mask of Hatred in order to combat the Colossus, but Skylor used the massive creature to swat Ultra Violet across the city.
Furious, Killow proceeded to put on the Oni Mask of Deception and used its telekinetic powers to levitate three cars in order to damage the Colossus. However, it simple pushed away the cars, causing them to fall and pin Killow onto the ground, knocking off the mask from his face. As he desperately reached out for it and grabbed it in his hand, the mask cracked and fell apart, destroying it.
Just before Ultra Violet could finish off Nya with the Oni Mask of Hatred, Lloyd and Dareth arrived in their armored vehicle, ramming into the invulnerable Ultra Violet and sending her flying into a brick wall, destroying the Oni Mask.
Garmadon and Lloyd ran into the clouds to run away from Oni. Soon P.I.X.A.L. dived into the clouds to help them. Meanwhile, trying to save anyone left from the clouds, Cole fell in and the clouds surrounded him.
Cole tried to run through the clouds to get to the Earth Driller. He almost fell ill to it but made in time.
The Skull Sorcerer had the Skull of Hazza D'ur with him and used its Dark Magic to punish the Munce and Geckles after they stopped working. Cole entered the Skull Keep and defeated the Re-Awakened to stop Vangelis, who used the Skull of Hazza D'ur to reassemble the Re-Awakened.
The Skull Sorcerer uses the Skull of Hazza D'ur to revive the previously defeated Awakened Warriors and defeat the ninja.
While Cole and Lloyd were looking for the Blades of Deliverance so they could know if the Skull Sorcerer was the one who stole them, they instead found the Skull of Hazza D'ur and were confronted by the Skull Sorcerer, who used the ancient relic's magic to attack them. Lloyd and Cole were able to knock the Skull of Hazza D'ur out of the Skull Sorcerer's hands and escape. The Skull Sorcerer regained possession of it, and used the skull to attack Cole while chasing after him.
While warning Wu and Vangelis about the Skull Sorcerer, Cole mentioned the Skull of Hazza D'ur to them, but said that it glowed red instead of green. Vangelis, however, corrected Cole by revealing the Skull of Hazza D'ur to them and his identity as the Skull Sorcerer. After he and Cole were attacked by Vangelis, Wu told the others that they had to get the Skull of Hazza D'ur to defeat him.
After Cole, Wu, and Vania fell into the pit, Vangelis put the Skull of Hazza D'ur away before blaming the incident on Chompy, changing his appearance back to normal.
After Vangelis learned that the ninja were convincing the Munce and Geckles to have a truce meeting, he used the Skull of Hazza D'ur's necromancy to transform into the Skull Sorcerer and resurrect Grief-Bringer.
The skull was with the Skull Sorcerer as he taunted the ninja and telling them of his next intentions. When the Skull Sorcerer was battling Cole during the battle for Shintaro Mountain, he used the Skull of Hazza D'ur shoots beams at him while it revived the Re-Awakened.
The Skull Sorcerer continued to use the Skull of Hazza D'ur to fight Cole and then used it to destroy the Blades of Deliverance. Eventually, the Skull Sorcerer used the skull to overwhelm Cole, who soon unlocked the Spinjitzu Burst and destroyed the Skull of Hazza D'ur. This in return destroyed Vangelis' source of power and reverted the revived skeletons back to bones.
- Mystokinesis - The user can manipulate dark magic and create spells and possess objects. In "Spellbound," it was shown to be both offensive and defensive, being that Clouse was able to protect himself from Garmadon. Also can use magic spells to attack or defend (like in "The Corridor of Elders," when Lloyd uses a spell to bring back the spirits of Anacondrai generals).
- Transmogrification - Allows the user to alter the appearance of objects, shown when Clouse transforms some of the training objects in his fight with Garmadon. This is also seen when the Anacondrai Cultists transform into Anacondrai by the use of Clouse's Book of Spells.
- Dark Magic Blast - The user can release dark magical energy over a specific target causing great damage or delivering great shock waves of force.
- Dark Magical Beam Emission - Some users of magic can create a potent beam composed of concentrated magical energy.
- Dark Magical Creation - Allows the user to create dark creatures and other dark technology from their own imagination and put it to life under their control.
- Dark Elemental Manipulation - Allows the user to manipulate all the elements/powers/abilities into a strong darker version. Ex. Clouse fighting Jay with his stone mech or using Nature as darkened elements with his Dark Magic.
- Dark Magic Animation - Allows the user to animate statues, sculptures, drawings into very powerful dark creatures under their control.
- Wish Granting - Allows the user, usually a djinns, to grant wishes to another or his/herself by yellow sparks or blasting magical energy ball.
- Realm Travel - As displayed by the Realm Crystal, it has the power to travel through most realms, and some magical rituals allow the user to travel freely through all of the realms.
- Teleportation - This allows to the user to teleport whenever and wherever they desire via magical smoke/dust/mist or teleporting quickly. The Oni are also known to manipulate their Destruction and Dark Magic in a form of black clouds to teleport.
- Shapeshifting - This allows the user to shapeshift into any creature via magical smoke/dust/mist. Garmadon and the Oni are able to use this to shapeshift and Nineko was able to turn into a cat.
- Dark Magic Enchantment - It allows the user to conjure a powerful spell by chanting in an ancient tongue as demonstrated by Clouse as he repeatedly chants incantations to cast powerful spells. This ability can also empower dark magic user as Lord Garmadon said that Dark Magic in the Realm of Madness made him stronger, thus, giving him his four arms.
- Dark Portal Creation - This was seen when Clouse chanted a foreign incantation to open a portal to the Cursed Realm in an attempted to banish Garmadon but ended up being banished there himself by the latter. A user can also open up portals to other realms by use of incantations.
- Necromancy - This allows the user to bring back the dead in the form of re-awakened skeletons, such as the Re-Awakened or Grief-Bringer.
- Turning into the evil - When touched with a dark magical artifact like the Skull of Hazza D'ur, it turns the user's appearance and character into evil.
- Permanent shapeshift: Using Dark Magic, Nineko has permanently turned into an anthropomorphic cat.
- Summoning monsters: Using Dark Magic, Nineko can summon monsters from various parts of the island of Ninjago.
- Living hair: Using Dark Magic, Nineko can revive her hair to fulfill her tasks.
- Control over beings: Using Dark Magic, Nineko can curse anyone to accomplish her tasks, although the cursed may take precedence over the original target of her command before furthering her mistress.
- Creating the Warriors of Felis: Using Dark Magic of her umbrella, Nineko can create rain cats called the Warriors of Felis.
- Oni (using Destruction)
- Yang (with the Yin Blade; formerly)
- Hazza D'ur
- Vangelis (with the Skull of Hazza D'ur; formerly)
Briefly via the Book of Spells
- Wu (used in banishing Garmadon before giving it to Lloyd)
- Lloyd Garmadon (used in banishing his father to free the Anacondrai generals' spirits)
- Chope and Kapau (used to transform the Anacondrai Cultists into Anacondrai)
Via the Oni Masks
- Harumi (Oni Mask of Hatred)
- Ultra Violet (Oni Mask of Hatred)
- Killow (Oni Mask of Deception)
- Mr. E (Oni Mask of Vengeance)
- Realm of Madness (gave Garmadon extra arms and the strength to wield all four Golden Weapons at once)
- According to Tommy Andreasen, Garmadon could still use dark magic after he was purged of evil, but he wouldn't do so unless necessary.
- In "The Temple on Haunted Hill", Yang seemed to have used dark magic to make water in a picture look real, and he also seemed to have trapped Kai, Jay, Cole, and Zane inside the Ethereal Divide.
- Dark magic is associated with several colors, depending on how it is used.
- Classic dark magic are associated with purple.
- Magic that is related to the Cursed Realm in some way is associated with blue.
- Necromancy and advanced forms of dark magic are associated with green.
The images on Dark Magic need to be organized.