|"While we're stuck waiting, why don't you tell us who's really under there?"
This article's title is being used as a placeholder. If a proper name is given, this template can be removed.
|“Where there is Light, there will always be Shadow!”|
|— The Overlord to Lloyd, "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master"|
Darkness, also referred to as Shadow, is an elemental essence in Ninjago. It is the second most powerful essence in Ninjago, generally associated with the color dark purple, the opposite of Golden Power.
Lord Garmadon revealed that he sought the Golden Weapons not to conquer Ninjago, but to escape the Underworld and find a means to control the combined power of the four weapons. When Samukai was overwhelmed by the weapons' power and transformed into a portal, Garmadon used it to travel to a dimension where Darkness had overcome the Light.
Misako explained that Darkness came about as a natural counterbalance to Light, and the Overlord was its main manifestation. When the First Spinjitzu Master separated Ninjago into two halves, most of the Darkness (including the Overlord) were trapped on what would come to be known as the Island of Darkness.
- Umbrakinesis - It allows the user to manipulate, control, generate, and shape Darkness (also Shadow).
- Umbrakinetic Flight - It allows the user their elemental power to propel themselves up. As seen in "Return of the Overlord," the Overlord used this ability to combat Lloyd Garmadon by using it as an advantage to quickly head back into the battle.
- Darkness Materialization: The user can create organic or inorganic matter out of darkness and even give them a soul or life. The Overlord used this ability to create his own Stone Army.
- Absolute Darkness - It allows the user to create a field of absolute impenetrable darkness and possibly spread darkness everywhere. As seen in "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master," the Overlord (in Dragon form) trapped Lloyd inside the sphere of darkness.
- Darkness Tentacles - Allows the user to create tentacles of darkness. In "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master", the Overlord creates the tentacles to collect energy so he and the Stone Army invade Ninjago.
- Darkness Breath - Only displayed by the Overlord, the user can breathe darkness and shadow commonly to attack or corrupt people.
- Corruption Inducement - Gives the user the ability to corrupt people and their environment (as displayed by the Garmatron and the Overlord's dark breath attack). Symptoms of corruption include the destruction of morality, glowing purple eyes, and sickly pale gray skin.
- Dark Beam Emission - Only displayed by the Overlord, the user can project beams of darkness, usually to attack an adversary.
- Shadow Ball Projection - The user can generate balls of darkness, commonly to trap or attack an adversary.
- It is nearly identical to Destruction.
- As Destruction is the counterpart to Creation, Darkness seems to be the counterpart to Golden Power.
- It seems Darkness is an "essence" like Creation and Destruction.
- This power is most likely called Darkness, but this is not confirmed. Things relating to the Overlord that are called "darkness" or "shadow" could either mean this literally or in a metaphorical sense. "Darkness" was also capitalized in Wu's journal in the Dark Island Trilogy.