|Dragons||Elemental Dragons||Dragon Mechs|
|“Our father used to tell us stories about the dragons, that they were mystical creatures that belong to both worlds and buried between them.”|
|— Nya, "Weapons of Destiny"|
The legendary beings are in tune with Elemental properties, due to many being masters of the four Elements of Creation. They are said to be connected to both Ninjago and the Underworld, enabling them to travel between the two worlds at will.
The dragons seen in Ninjago were descended from the dragons of the Realm of Oni and Dragons. The Firstbourne had all of the Elemental Powers of her spawn, and her offsprings constantly waged war against their arch enemies, the Oni (who were beings of Destruction, the polar opposite of Creation). When a child was born, the two sides fought over him until he left the realm. The child also struck a friendship with the Firstbourne when he tried to stop the war.
Later, that same child (the First Spinjitzu Master) would grow up to empower a group of humans with the powers he gained from the Dragons, the Elemental Masters. Together, the Elemental Masters and the First Spinjitzu Master would go on to protect Ninjago from the forces of evil that encroached on it.
Master Wu placed each dragon to guard one of the Golden Weapons, each in tune with its elemental properties. The dragons guarded the weapons for many years until an increase in Skulkin activity led Master Wu to believe that the weapons had to be retrieved before they could fall into Lord Garmadon's hands.
The four ninja had to avoid each of the dragons as they recovered the four Golden Weapons. When the Weapons were stolen by Garmadon, they discovered that the dragons only wanted to protect the Weapons, and would gladly aid the ninja in their quest. Afterward, each ninja kept the dragon matching their elemental properties as a pet, in addition to using them for transportation. This allowed the dragons to continue guarding the Weapons, as the four ninja wielded them in defense of Ninjago. As Jay decided to visit his parents, all four dragons were molting and had to leave the ninja. The ninja had to go on the journey to Ed & Edna's Scrap N Junk on foot.
During their time in the Spirit Coves, the dragons morphed into the Ultra Dragon. It appeared during the fight against the Great Devourer and nearly defeated the creature. It briefly served as Lloyd's personal transportation until he mastered the Golden Dragon, most notably in "Ninjaball Run."
During "Lessons for a Master," Firstbourne gave the Marooned Ninja dragons that correspond to their elemental powers. They use them to get out of the Realm of Oni and Dragons and into Ninjago. They also use the Dragons during "Green Destiny," where the dragons save the ninjas' allies from the Sons of Garmadon and used them against the Colossus.
Known Types of Dragons
There are eleven known types of Dragons:
- Ultra Dragon
- YinYang Dragon
- Wind Dragon
- Ghost Dragons
- Shintaran Ridgebacks
- Firstbourne (The Mother of all dragons)
- Ultra Dragon (Lloyd's Ultra Dragon; deceased)
- Bandit (YinYang Dragon)
- Stormbringer (Lightning Dragon)
- Stormbringer's Baby (Lightning Dragon)
- Slab (Earth Dragon)
- Wind Dragon
- Fire Dragon
- Ice Dragon
- Boreal (Ice Emperor's Ice Dragon; destroyed)
- Grief-Bringer (Skull Sorcerer's dragon; deceased)
- Chompy (Vania's Shintaran Ridgeback)
- Jungle Dragon
- First Spinjitzu Master (of Oni descent; deceased)
- Dragons do not have the power of Creation itself but do through their being types of Dragons that correspond to the four elements of Creation.
- The only elements they possess are the four elements of Creation and Wind. It is unknown what the origins of the other elements are, or why the only secondary element they control is Wind.
- All the seasons in the series have either a dragon or an Elemental Dragon appear.
- If Nya had a dragon as the original four ninja did, it may have been named "Flow".
- In Ninjago, there are also wild dragons without a specific element, such as Shintaran Ridgebacks or Grief-Bringer.
- Several dragon skulls resembling those of the original four dragons, Ultra Dragon, and Golden Dragon are seen in the Oni land, but no dragons with these head shapes are seen alive in Hunted or any subsequent episodes.