Five Thousand Fathoms Down is the fourth episode of the fourteenth season of Ninjago and the 168th episode overall. It aired on April 11, 2021, paired up with "Unsinkable." It released in the US on November 19, 2021, alongside The Island and the rest of the episodes of Seabound.
Extended: Realising that the power source may be their only way to get the Hydro Bounty running, Nya and Maya use underwater APS suits to travel to the energy source. Reaching an ancient temple, they discover a new villain called Prince Kalmaar, who is attempting to awaken an ancient evil - when he discovers Maya and Nya, he zaps them before they can escape.
In the sunken Hydro Bounty, Nya and Maya are trying to fix the engine, Maya continually asks questions about the parts of the engine, to Nya’s annoyance and she remarks how Maya and Ray left her and Kai. Maya remarks how Nya already knows how they were taken away from them. Nya understand but tells her mother that she isn’t a child anymore and that it’s too late for her. Nya finds the boys sneaking around and asks if they heard everything. Lloyd and Jay lie but Zane tells the truth and Jay sticks a plunger in his face. She returns to the driving area and tells P.I.X.A.L. that the engine can’t be fixed. The rest of underwater ninja come inside with Jay suggesting that he should just zap the battery but P.I.X.A.L. shoots down the idea. Zane confirms that Jay could be seriously hurt if he were to do that. Maya comes in with her own theory and asks if they could use the energy source they were chasing as a battery. P.I.X.A.L. agrees with the theory and shows the Ninja the APS suits. Nya jumps in one along with Maya.
They are deployed into the ocean. Midway to the Temple of Wojira. Nya is blown by one of the geysers, but Maya grabs her, after doing so Maya wants to talk her about the choices that were made when Maya and Ray abandoned their kids. Nya says that’s ok but Maya tells Nya that she doesn’t understand because she never had to make a huge sacrifice and hopes that she doesn’t have to, she tells Nya that sometimes bad choices are the only choices that can be made and “that’s how the cookie crumbles”. They continue swimming and find Wojira’s Temple. At the gates, Nya asks if Zane can read the language on it. Zane doesn’t understand it and goes through all databanks to find the language. Maya and Nya jump out their suits and start walking in. They find Maaray Guards and hide behind some polls. Kalmaar comes in the temple and is impatient with Glutinous, telling him to hurry up. Zane finally finds out the identity of the sleeper and tells the others it’s Wojira, they all gasp at this. P.I.X.A.L & Zane warn Nya and Maya, telling them to escape. Unfortunately, by this time another fake amulet was tested on Wojira, only to fail but reveals Nya and Maya. Kalmaar is angry at this and shoots at them, he misses and Nya and Maya start making their escape. Kalmaar gets his soldiers to chase them.
Maya and Nya jump in their suits and start running but Kalmaar shoots Maya down. Nya goes back for her and grabs some water to slow down the Merlopians. Kalmaar sees Nya controlling Water and grabs on to the gates to stop the impact of the water. While most of the Maaray Guards are pushed back, Nya checks on Maya but is attacked by Kalmaar and is unconscious from the blast. Kalmaar walks to Nya’s suit and remarks how long it took for them to be united and says with them together, his plan might be completed and starts to laugh maniacally.
- Glutinous - Sam Vincent
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kalmaar - Giles Panton
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Maya - Jillian Michaels
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- P.I.X.A.L. - Jennifer Hayward
- Zane - Brent Miller
- Amulets of Wojira
- Manifestation Gate (mentioned)
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- Narrator: Maya
- In the Japanese version of the episode, the narrator is Lloyd instead of Maya.
- Altough they made a small cameo in "Unsinkable," this episode marks the full physical appearance of the Merlopians: namely Kalmaar, Glutinous, and Gripe.
- Wojira makes her second physical appearance in the series, last being seen in "The Tooth of Wojira."
- This is the first episode to not feature Cole and Kai since "The Darkest Hour" and "The Ascent" respectively.
- This episode marks P.I.X.A.L.'s longest streak of appearances since the Fire Chapter in Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu, appearing in 3 consecutive episodes.
- Zane references being attached to the Manifestation Gate in "The Prodigal Father."
- It is revealed in this episode that the energy pulses that were disrupting Nya's powers were coming from Kalmaar and the other Merlopians attempting to awaken Wojira with a faux-amulet in place of the Storm Amulet, which was at the Island of the Keepers.
- This is the first episode where no land appears except the Temple of Wojira, which is underwater.
- Zane's eyes flickering is reminiscent of "Corruption," when he tries to power up the Titan Mech.
- Maya's phrase of "the cookie crumbles" was used in "The Last Hope" by Cole, after Kozu kidnapped Nya. However, its use in this episode was not an intentional callback.
- "That's the way the cookie crumbles" is a phrase in English vocabulary said when something slightly unlucky has happened that could not have been prevented and so must be accepted.
- This episode is not the first time someone has called the ninja surface-dwellers. Skales first called them that in "The Curse of the Golden Master."
- The episode's "previously" segment features a scene from the episode itself, specifically Nya and Maya emerging from the water upon discovering the temple. This marks the first instance of using unseen footage in the previously segment in the show's history.
- P.I.X.A.L.'s shoulder pads go missing while she informs Nya and Maya about the APS suits.
- When the APS suits are damaged, water cracks appear and disappear at random.
- When Jay asks if he can recharge the battery by zapping it, his right eyebrow is translucent.
- As Nya and Maya enter the Temple of Wojira, a Maaray Guard holds a trident without a handle.
- Although Gripe appears in the scene where Kalmaar enters the sanctum, when Kalmaar begins to threaten Glutinous, Gripe is replaced by another Maaray Guard for the rest of the episode.
For the gallery of the episode, click here.
- File:Ninjago–Five Thousand Fathoms Down–7’09”.png
- File:Still gripe.png and File:No gripe.png