|“And now a Ninjago News Special Report: Arcade Apocalypse. Prime Empire. It's not just a video game craze sweeping the city, but something far more sinister. We're receiving reports that players who reach the 13th Level are mysteriously vanishing. Where are these missing players? Who's taking them? And more importantly will I win a Peabody Award for this hard-hitting report? Stay tuned!”|
|— Fred Finely, "Level Thirteen"|
Fred Finely is a reporter for Ninjago City News.
Following the creation of the reality show, Most Ultimate Extreme Ninja Challenge Ever, Finely would become the host, often overseen by the producer Rachel Sparrow. Later, he would start a seventeen-day streak of holding a smile on the show.
A Team Divided (non-canon)
Finely would be seen on TV as a depressed Jay recuperated from his loss at the hands of Suzie Wheeler. Inspired, Jay would enter the Gauntlet of Humility, overseen by Finely. Declaring his seventeen-day smile proudly, Finely would introduce Jay to the Gauntlet, warning him of its increase in difficulty to accommodate Jay's skills. Cheerfully commentating on Jay's performance, he would promptly be covered in the chocolate pudding after Jay fell into a vat of it, causing him to lose his smile and in anger quit his job, stomping off.
Afterward, Finely managed to get a job as a news reporter, reporting on attacks by various threats to Ninjago.
The New Ninja (non-canon)
During the rebuilding of Stiix following the Preeminent's death, Ghost Warriors attacked, and Finely oversaw the ensuing chaos on a chopper, reporting the news on the television. This alerted Nya and the Ninja, who arrived at the city to destroy the spectral entities.
Legend of the Brown Ninja (non-canon)
Dareth somehow acquired a primetime spot on Ninjago's hottest talk show, Fred Finley Live at Five, though, the Ninja declined. Dareth, not giving up, got not just a guest appearance, but for the entire hour. Dareth then convinced the Ninja to do it. A few days later, they air the live show. Fred announced the start of the show, smiled at the camera and did a little dance. The show apparently runs a "Real Reel," which gathers footage from a secret camera, then it takes pieces and puts them together to add drama.
Fred Finely is seen talking to the Pyro Vipers and when the Ninja save him from being eaten alive by an Elemental Cobra, He tells them that Aspheera was headed for the Ninjago Museum of History to find a Scroll of Forbidden Spinjitzu.
Fred Finely was sitting right next to Captain Soto on a bench.
Fred hosts the disappearance of Prime Empire players.
- 106. "Snaketastrophy"
- Until Seliel's reappearance in Way of the Departed, Finely was the only book-exclusive character to make an appearance in another book, instead of staying exclusive to his debut.
- He is also the first book exclusive character to have a minifigure released of him and to stop being a book exclusive character by appearing in the show.
- However, his minifigure was released in a LEGO Ninjago Movie set.
- He also dons a thicker mustache, a red tie, and a different hairstyle on his minifigure.
- As mentioned in Pythor's Revenge and "Snaketastrophy," Gayle Gossip is Fred Finely's rival.
- Alongside Noble, Patty Keys, and Benny, Finely is one of the few citizens in the series to be seen changing occupations.
- In The New Ninja and TV show, Fred's last name is spelled Finely.
- Fred Finely's minifigure appeared in a LEGO Ninjago Movie set, but he didn't appear in the movie.
- According to Finely, he has won eight awards, and it led to this number because of a running gag in "Snaketastrophy" involving Finely winning awards in between his reports.