Fred Finely is a reporter for Ninjago City News. He first appeared in A Team Divided.
Following the creation of the reality show Most Ultimate Extreme Ninja Challenge ever, Finley would become the host, often overseen by the producer Rachel Sparrow. Later, he would start a seventeen-day streak of holding a smile on the show.
Finley would be seen on TV as a depressed Jay recuperated from his loss at the hands of Suzie Wheeler. Inspired, Jay would enter the Gauntlet of Humility, overseen by Finley. Declaring his seventeen-day smile proudly, Finley would introduce Jay to the Gauntlet, warning him of its increase in difficulty to accommodate Jay's skills. Cheerfully commentating on Jay's performance, he would promptly be covered in chocolate pudding after Jay fell into a vat of it, causing him to lose his smile and in anger quit his job, stomping off.
Afterwards, Finley managed to get a job as a news reporter, reporting on attacks by various threats to Ninjago.
During the rebuilding of Stiix following the Preeminent's death, Ghost Warriors attacked, and Finley oversaw the ensuing chaos on a chopper, reporting the news on the television. This alerted Nya and the Ninja, who arrived at the city to destroy the spectral entities.
Dareth somehow acquired a primetime spot on Ninjago's hottest talk show, Fred Finley Live at Five, though, the Ninja declined. Dareth, not giving up, got not just a guest appearance, but for the entire hour. Dareth then convinced the Ninja to do it. A few days later, they air the live show. Fred announced the start of the show, smiled to the camera, and did a little dance. The show apparently runs a "Real Reel," which gathers footage from a secret camera, then it takes pieces and puts them together to add drama.
- Finley is the only book-exclusive character to make an appearance in another book, instead of staying exclusive to his debut.
- He is also the first book exclusive character to have a minifigure released of him, and to appear in the TV show.
- Alongside Noble and Patty Keys, Finley is one of the few citizens in the series to be seen changing occupations.
- In The New Ninja and TV show, Fred's last name is spelled Finely.
- Fred Finley's minifigure appeared in a Lego Ninjago Movie set, but he didn't appear in the movie.