The following is a list of common questions about Ninjago and their answers given from official sources.
If you are unable to find an answer on this page, please check the relevant individual page(s) that relate to the question topic.
Note: General questions not specifically related to one season more than another are listed first, followed by questions listed by the season order.
- 1 General
- 1.1 Timeline and ages
- 1.2 Elemental Powers
- 1.2.1 Is Lloyd's dominant element Lightning?
- 1.2.2 Why could the ninja only use their powers via the Golden Weapons, even though the other Elemental Masters could use their powers without weapons?
- 1.2.3 Why do the ninja no longer use their True Potential abilities?
- 1.2.4 What is the name of Lloyd's power?
- 1.2.5 Are Wu and Garmadon Elemental Masters?
- 1.2.6 Can more than one person have the same Elemental Power? Why did the Time Twins have two of the same power?
- 1.2.7 Do you need an Elemental Power to do Spinjitzu?
- 1.2.8 Can Lloyd still control the other elements?
- 1.2.9 How does Zane have an Elemental Power if he's a robot?
- 1.2.10 Why do Garmadon and Wu rarely use their powers?
- 1.2.11 What happens when an Elemental Master such as Morro dies while still in possession of an element?
- 1.2.12 Why does Nya no longer seem to create water?
- 1.2.13 Can the ninja be harmed by their own elements?
- 1.2.14 Are Storm and Wave Elemental Powers?
- 1.3 First Spinjitzu Master and related topics and lore
- 1.3.1 Did the First Spinjitzu Master create the entire realm of Ninjago?
- 1.3.2 Do Wu and Garmadon have a mother?
- 1.3.3 Are the Serpentine from Chima?
- 1.3.4 How many realms are there?
- 1.3.5 Are themes such as Nexo Knights and BIONICLE other realms?
- 1.3.6 Why is Lloyd's hair blond when both Garmadon and Misako's hair had brown hair?
- 1.3.7 Are the Oni somehow connected to the Overlord and Great Devourer?
- 1.4 Names
- 1.5 Canon
- 1.5.1 Are the website descriptions canon?
- 1.5.2 Are the comics such as Who is the Phantom Ninja? canon?
- 1.5.3 Is Ultra Agents canon to Ninjago?
- 1.5.4 Are the Tall Tales and Wu's Teas canon?
- 1.5.5 Are the Ninjago Magazine comics canon?
- 1.5.6 Is Way of the Departed canon?
- 1.5.7 Is Ninjago: Decoded canon?
- 1.5.8 Is the Clutch Powers movie canon to Ninjago?
- 1.5.9 Is Ninjago: Reimagined canon?
- 1.6 Other
- 2 By installment
- 2.1 Pilot episodes
- 2.2 Season 1: Rise of the Snakes
- 2.2.1 What are the smaller snakes seen in the Hypnobrai Tomb?
- 2.2.2 Why didn't Lou want Cole to be a ninja?
- 2.2.3 How did Jay use Wind?
- 2.2.4 Is the Great Devourer male or female?
- 2.2.5 Why did the ninja stop using the Tornado of Creation after this season?
- 2.2.6 Why wasn't Wu affected by the Devourer's stomach acids as Pythor was?
- 2.3 Season 2: Legacy of the Green Ninja
- 2.3.1 Why did Zane turn into a kid if he was built with the body of a teenager?
- 2.3.2 Why did Zane say that Nindroids don't dream, even though he was previously seen dreaming?
- 2.3.3 Was the Mega Weapon erased from existence after the ninja went back in time? How is Lloyd still older?
- 2.3.4 Was Zane turned evil along with Cole and Jay?
- 2.4 Season 3: Rebooted
- 2.4.1 What happened to the Ultra Dragon?
- 2.4.2 What happened to the Elemental Blades?
- 2.4.3 Is the Digiverse one of the Sixteen Realms?
- 2.4.4 Did the Serpentine lock themselves underground?
- 2.4.5 If the Serpentine were known to be at war with each other, why were they united?
- 2.4.6 Is the Overlord dead?
- 2.4.7 How did Zane survive?
- 2.4.8 Where are the Serpentine after this season?
- 2.5 Season 4: Tournament of Elements
- 2.5.1 How did Zane and P.I.X.A.L. end up on Chen's Island?
- 2.5.2 Does Zane still have his power source?
- 2.5.3 How did the original Elemental Masters get their powers?
- 2.5.4 How long ago was the Serpentine War?
- 2.5.5 Did the Serpentine fight amongst themselves, or were they united against the Elemental Alliance?
- 2.5.6 Were the Elemental Masters in the Serpentine War the original Elemental Masters?
- 2.5.7 Why did the Anacondrai spell work when Chen didn't have elements such as Wind, Water, and Time?
- 2.5.8 Who is the Elemental Master of Earth who fought against the other Elemental Masters during the Serpentine War, and why did he betray them?
- 2.5.9 Who is the Elemental Master seen riding an Elemental Dragon during the Serpentine War?
- 2.5.10 Are Elemental Dragons different depending on the user?
- 2.6 Season 5: Possession
- 2.6.1 What is the Morro Dragon?
- 2.6.2 How did Morro create lightning?
- 2.6.3 Why didn't Cole see his reflection?
- 2.6.4 How did Lloyd obtain Garmadon's robes when Garmadon was chained up?
- 2.6.5 Why was Cole not affected by the water from Nya's True Potential?
- 2.6.6 Did Nya use the Spinjitzu Burst technique?
- 2.7 Season 6: Skybound
- 2.7.1 Are the White Nindroids reprogrammed Nindroids from Rebooted?
- 2.7.2 Is Nya related to Delara?
- 2.7.3 Did Nadakhan change the past so Jay was adopted?
- 2.7.4 Was Jay always planned to be adopted?
- 2.7.5 Why was Jay abandoned?
- 2.7.6 Why did Cole turn gray before going into the Djinn Blade?
- 2.7.7 Were Griffin Turner and Karlof in the Djinn Blade?
- 2.7.8 Did Skybound happen?
- 2.7.9 Does Jay still own Cliff Gordon's estate?
- 2.7.10 Why haven't Jay and Nya told the other ninja about Echo Zane and the events of Skybound?
- 2.8 Day of the Departed
- 2.9 Season 7: The Hands of Time
- 2.10 Season 8: Sons of Garmadon
- 2.10.1 What happened to Airjitzu and the Elemental Dragons?
- 2.10.2 Do the ninja look different in Sons of Garmadon because of time travel?
- 2.10.3 Will the ninja change back to their original designs?
- 2.10.4 Why did Lloyd's eyes change color?
- 2.10.5 Why does Kai have a bandage?
- 2.10.6 What happened to Yang and the Temple of Airjitzu?
- 2.10.7 Where did Ray and Maya go?
- 2.10.8 Why do Ultra Violet and Killow have gray skin?
- 2.10.9 Is Mr. E Echo Zane?
- 2.10.10 Did Harumi really ever love Lloyd?
- 2.10.11 If the ninja lost their powers in Possession because Lloyd was possessed, why do they still have them in this season when Lloyd loses his powers?
- 2.11 Season 9: Hunted
- 2.12 Tales from the Monastery of Spinjitzu
- 2.13 Season 10: March of the Oni
- 2.13.1 Why does Skybound have a mural if it never happened?
- 2.13.2 Why is there no Day of the Departed mural?
- 2.13.3 Is the Yin-Yang promise Ninjago's version of marriage?
- 2.13.4 Is the Omega one of the original Oni?
- 2.13.5 How did Cole survive his fall?
- 2.13.6 Why were characters able to hold the Golden Armor?
- 2.13.7 What happened to the Golden Weapons since the end of this season?
- 2.13.8 Why did the Hageman Brothers leave?
- 2.14 Season 11: Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu
- 2.14.1 Is Ninjago a new show from Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu onward?
- 2.14.2 Why did the animation studio change?
- 2.14.3 Why did the intros change?
- 2.14.4 Why did they stop saying episode numbers?
- 2.14.5 Why was P.I.X.A.L. able to use the Scroll of Forbidden Spinjitzu?
- 2.14.6 Does time move faster in the Never-Realm?
- 2.14.7 How do Akita and Kataru still appear young if Zane took over the Never-Realm decades ago?
- 2.14.8 Do Lloyd and Akita have feelings for each other?
- 2.14.9 Was Nya planned to have a bigger role in the finale?
- 2.15 Season 12: Prime Empire
- 2.16 Season 13: Master of the Mountain
- 2.16.1 Why are seasons 12 and 13 considered to be one season on platforms such as Netflix?
- 2.16.2 Is Spinjitzu Burst exclusive to Masters of Earth?
- 2.16.3 Do Cole and Vania have feelings for each other?
- 2.16.4 What is the origin of the Skull of Hazza D'ur and the Re-Awakened?
- 2.16.5 Is Cole colorblind?
- 2.17 The Island
- 2.18 Season 14: Seabound
- 2.19 Ninjago: Reimagined
- 2.19.1 Are all shorts animated by one animation studio?
- 2.19.2 What is "Golden Legend" trying to reimagine?
- 2.19.3 Is "Golden Hour" animated by WILFilm ApS?
- 2.19.4 What is LEGO World Builder?
- 2.19.5 What was Uday Kataria's original idea for "Golden Hour?"
- 2.19.6 Why at the end of "Golden Hour" is still not known what happened to the Time Twins?
- 2.19.7 Why does the crack on the wall of the monastery in "Golden Hour" look like the symbol of the Royal Family?
- 2.20 References
Timeline and ages
How old are the ninja?
Within the show, the ninja were confirmed by Jay to be "grown-up teenagers" in "The Gilded Path." In "The Call of the Deep," Misako says that Kai is a grown man, implying he is legally an adult, which likely applies to the other ninja as well.
While the creators have given some statements which may allow for a clearer picture of the ninja's potential ages, they are not necessarily canon, and more recently Tommy Andreasen no longer states their possible ages in detail beyond "Whatever you like." Keep in mind that it is unknown if he would still like for his prior words on the matter to be considered.
At the time of the pilot episodes, Kai, Jay, and Cole were around sixteen and Nya was around fourteen. Three or four years passed between Legacy of the Green Ninja and Skybound. As of Hunted, Kai, Jay, and Cole were at most nineteen and Nya was at most seventeen as Jay stated that they were still teenagers at that point. That took place some time before March of the Oni, which in-universe was at least 6 months prior to Season 11.
How old are other characters?
- Wu and Garmadon are at least multiple thousands of years old. While Kai stated in "Ancient History" that Aspheera was entombed a thousand years ago, as Aspheera herself stated in "Snaketastrophy" that she was entombed for thousands of years, which was confirmed to be the case by Tommy Andreasen. Wu and Garmadon's age is not clear beyond this.
- The First Spinjitzu Master and Mystake at least predate the land of Ninjago, as they migrated from the Realm of Oni and Dragons.
- Misako is at least in her late fifties, because during the Serpentine War, which took place 40 years ago for The Hands of Time, she was old enough to be have mutual romantic feelings for Wu and Garmadon, who were physically in their late teens at the time.
- The Overlord is presumably around the same age as Ninjago or older (it's unconfirmed whether he existed before Ninjago's creation), while the Stone Army was a little younger, as they were created by the Overlord to combat the First Spinjitzu Master for ownership of Ninjago.
- Clouse is at least in his late fifties because he was around Wu and Garmadon's physical age during the Serpentine War.
- Chen is a bit older than Clouse, which can be seen from his age lines in the time of the Serpentine War, and he was a master of Clouse and Garmadon, so he must have had some experience. Assuming he was around thirty at the time of the Serpentine War, he could have been around seventy years old during the Tournament of Elements.
- Ray and Maya are at least sixty years old because they appeared to be young adults and have age lines on their faces at the time of the Serpentine War.
- Nadakhan is over two hundred years old, as the era of the pirates took place two hundred years ago, although it is not clear how long he had lived before the battle with Captain Soto.
- Acronix and Krux were young adults during the Battle for All of Time, and in the present day, Krux was forty years older. Krux was presumably in his sixties in The Hands of Time, and Acronix, who hadn't aged at all, was presumably 20 to 30 years old.
- Harumi was a young teenager during the Sons of Garmadon, because she was a young child of around 9-10 years old during the attack of the Great Devourer, and at least a few years passed between the Rise of the Snakes and the Sons of Garmadon.
- Akita and Kataru are at least seventy years old because they were children when the Ice Emperor took control of Never-Realm.
- Vex is older, appearing as a young adult at that time, though in both cases it is worth noting that Formlings age differently than humans.
- Lilly was possibly around thirty years old during the flashback in "Dungeon Crawl!," because during the Serpentine War, her father still had his Elemental Powers, meaning she wasn't born at the time. As the flashback of Lilly and young Cole took place several years before the pilot episodes, she may have been around thirty in the flashback.
The following are primarily based on creator statements and thus may not be canon.
- P.I.X.A.L. was possibly three or four years old as of Skybound and "Day of the Departed," meaning she was four or five years old as of Sons of Garmadon, as it was stated in "The Mask of Deception" that a year had passed since the events of The Hands of Time.
- Ronin is in his late thirties.
How long ago was Garmadon banished to the Underworld?
Why did Wu and Garmadon age so rapidly?
There are two or three possible reasons for why Wu and Garmadon aged so quickly between "Battle Between Brothers" and the beginning of the series despite having been young for so long. In a live-chat on the Eljay Johnsen Show, Tommy Andreasen confirmed a fan's theory that one reason may be that Wu and Garmadon share an intrinsic connection of some sort that was severed by Garmadon being banished to the Underworld. He also said another explanation could be tea. He also hinted it has to do with Wu and Garmadon being apart from each other and from the Golden Weapons, as Garmadon was banished to the Underworld and Wu hid the weapons shortly after.
Is Lloyd's dominant element Lightning?
No. Though this is the case on his Character Card and is stated in a video on LEGO's YouTube channel, the card statistics are not relevant to the show and the video was made by someone who did not know the series well.
Why could the ninja only use their powers via the Golden Weapons, even though the other Elemental Masters could use their powers without weapons?
The ninja could always use their Elemental Powers without weapons, but they relied on their weapons too much, which made them weaker when they lost access to them. Misako mentions that the powers are inside them when Zane says they can not use their powers without Golden Weapons in "The Last Voyage."
Why do the ninja no longer use their True Potential abilities?
The ninja no longer use their True Potentials because those abilities must be maintained over time, and when they regained their powers in "Codename: Arcturus," they did not regain them to the extent that allowed them to use their True Potential abilities.
What is the name of Lloyd's power?
Lloyd's elemental essence is referred to in various different ways throughout the series. It has been called Energy in "The Day of the Dragon" and green power in "The Titanium Ninja, while Chen referred to Lloyd as the "Master of Power" in "Ninja Roll." However, Tommy Andreasen has said that in his opinion, referring to Lloyd as the "Master of Energy" would be incorrect, As for "Power," "Master Chen was a criminal and a liar. His word is hardly anything to consider canon." However, Lloyd does call himself the "Master of Energy" in his "Meet the Ninja" video, the subtitle for his section in the play guide for Choose the Path is "Lloyd (Green Ninja/Master of Energy)", and a video on LEGO.com calls him "The Elemental Master of Energy". In The Book of Elemental Powers it is also called Energy.
Are Wu and Garmadon Elemental Masters?
Can more than one person have the same Elemental Power? Why did the Time Twins have two of the same power?
Not usually, because parents lose their powers when they pass them onto their children, as explained in "Pause and Effect." The Time Twins were an exception to this because their powers were easily divisible. However, mechanisms such as time travel and Amber allow two users of the same power to exist through technicalities.
Do you need an Elemental Power to do Spinjitzu?
No. A number of characters without Elemental Powers, such as Misako, Doubloon, and Aspheera, have been shown to do Spinjitzu. The only requirements for learning Spinjitzu are "A master and lot of training."
Can Lloyd still control the other elements?
No. Formerly, Fire, Lightning, Earth, Ice were also one of Green Ninja's powers and Lloyd uses in "Island of Darkness." But Lloyd can no longer control Fire, Lightning, Earth, and Ice, as he gave those powers back to the ninja at the Temple of Light in "Codename: Arcturus."
How does Zane have an Elemental Power if he's a robot?
In the Sons of Garmadon episode, "Snake Jaguar," it was explained that Zane gained his Ice power when an ill Elemental Master of Ice came by the hidden workshop and passed his power onto Zane, though the exact mechanism of this is unknown.
Why do Garmadon and Wu rarely use their powers?
Wu knows not to overuse his powers, or he may not even have powers at all besides creating his dragon. At least after his initial redemption, Garmadon swore not to use his powers, explaining why he created the Art of the Silent Fist as a substitute for fighting. It's unknown why he was not shown to use Destruction much in the first two seasons.
What happens when an Elemental Master such as Morro dies while still in possession of an element?
Why does Nya no longer seem to create water?
Nya can still generate water, as seen on Ninjago Museum of History, battling the Pyro Vipers and in The Island. But controlling pre-existing sources of water requires less energy, so she will draw from her surroundings if given the choice. Nya can also not control water in extremely hot or cold environments: In "The Belly of the Beast," she couldn't draw water from the air due to the low humidity of the Desert of Doom, and in the second half of Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu, she had trouble controlling ice in the Never-Realm.
Can the ninja be harmed by their own elements?
Yes, enough of an element can harm the master of that element.
Yes. Although Storm and Wave has slightly different characteristics than other Elemental Powers, The Book of Elemental Powers recognizes them as Elemental Powers.
Did the First Spinjitzu Master create the entire realm of Ninjago?
No. The common statement of "The First Spinjitzu Master created Ninjago" refers to the landmass, not the realm. The Temple of Light and Golden Peaks existed before the rest of the land was created, and the realm existed before the First Spinjitzu Master created the landmass. Wojira also existed and ruled the seas before land creation, suggesting that originally in Ninjago, there was only the ocean where the Merlopians lived.
Though a silhouette of a woman was included on Lloyd's family tree in The Book of Spinjitzu, it's unclear whether the First Spinjitzu Master had a wife or not. It's possible Wu and Garmadon did have a mother and that the First Spinjitzu Master was not able to create life on his own, meaning the First Spinjitzu Master could have had the idea to have children from observing the populations he brought into Ninjago.
Are the Serpentine from Chima?
It's possible the Serpentine originated from Chima, but it is not confirmed. The blue orb on Pythor's chest is a possible hint at this. In fact, the reason there was no snake tribe in Legends of Chima was specifically because there were already snake people in Ninjago.
How many realms are there?
Though there is conflicting information on whether there are sixteen or seventeen realms, the most recent source has stated that there are seventeen (now fifteen due to the destruction of the Cursed Realm and Djinjago).
Are themes such as Nexo Knights and BIONICLE other realms?
No. Only Chima is confirmed to be another realm in the world of Ninjago. Other locations such as Knighton (from Nexo Knights), Hidden Side, LEGO Island, and the 2015 Bionicle reboot are not part of the 16 realms. However, Ninjago and Legends of Chima do exist as fictional worlds within the world of Nexo Knights. See more information here.
Why is Lloyd's hair blond when both Garmadon and Misako's hair had brown hair?
It is reasonable that Lloyd has blond hair, because the way hair genetics works is that even if both parents have brown hair, the child can have blond hair due to recessive genes, as Wu is shown to have a similar hair color to Lloyd. It also sometimes skips generations, not necessarily parent to child. Either way, Tommy Andreasen has said not to worry about this because the series has several fantasy elements, so different hair colors are not unimaginable. The same applies to Kai and Nya's family, though that too can be explained by recessive genes.
Are the Oni somehow connected to the Overlord and Great Devourer?
What is Garmadon's first name?
What is Wu and the First Spinjitzu Master's last name?
What are the ninja's last names?
Lloyd Garmadon and Jay Walker are the only ninja to have confirmed surnames. Zane's surname is most likely Julien, though it is not confirmed. Kai and Nya's surname was considered "Smith" behind the scenes, though this is not necessarily canon to the show. Though Cole does not have an official last name, Kirby Morrow jokingly suggested "Cole Steel."
The names "Cole Bucket" and "Zane Roberts" were also given in the 2014 blooper reel, but these are not canon: the video is meant to be humorous and not in the same universe as the TV show, and Tommy Andreasen and the voice actors have acknowledged these specific last names to be unreliable/irrelevant.
Why did Wu's title change from "Sensei" to "Master"?
Because "Sensei" has different meanings in different countries that could possibly cause issues in the future, the word was replaced with "Master" starting when the movie would have originally been released. Because of this, Wu is now "Master Wu," and this extends to other characters referred to as "Sensei" such as Garmadon, Yang, and so on.
Are the website descriptions canon?
The exact canon status of LEGO.com varies. Tommy Andreasen has said that, while he may not personally like some of the website's additions to the lore of the show, the information on the website is most likely canon, though it "Depends on how false the info on the website is." However, he has indicated that some facts originating from the Rebooted character descriptions are not true, while at least one of the facts is true.
Are the comics such as Who is the Phantom Ninja? canon?
Though the Greg Farshtey comics are not necessarily canon, they can be considered canon if they don't contradict the series. For example, Kingdom of the Snakes is non-canon, while Who is the Phantom Ninja? can be considered canon.
Is Ultra Agents canon to Ninjago?
No. Though the designs of Mr. Pale and Tox are taken from Ultra Agents characters, the two themes are not in the same universe. The character designs were taken from the theme to provide fans with the opportunity to obtain more Elemental Masters in minifigure form.
Are the Tall Tales and Wu's Teas canon?
Are the Ninjago Magazine comics canon?
Like the Greg Farshtey comics, the Ninjago Magazine comics can be considered canon if they don't contradict the TV series. However, the Mother Earth comic has been confirmed to be canon even though it contains timeline errors when compared to the TV series.
Is Way of the Departed canon?
Way of the Departed is not officially canon. This allows Tommy Andreasen more creative autonomy in writing the story. However, it is written to not contradict canon and supplies answers for the show for fans who do consider it canon, and it may be considered canon once completed.
Is Ninjago: Decoded canon?
Tommy Andreasen has stated it could potentially be canon, but he has not seen it, so it's not confirmed. However, one of the Ninjigma's riddles is quoted on a page from the upcoming book, The Book of Elemental Powers. It is likely this book will be considered canon, which would confirm Decoded is canon.
Is the Clutch Powers movie canon to Ninjago?
Is Ninjago: Reimagined canon?
According to Tommy Andreasen, the canon status of these shorts is up to interpretation. According to Chris Wyatt, "Golden Legend" is non-canon, and "With one big exception, the Legacy shorts are just "what ifs." When asked about which short is the big exception, Wyatt clarified that it was "Golden Hour."
Why did the design of the Destiny's Bounty change in Season 8 and later in Season 13?
Neither of these design changes are explained in the show but Tommy Andreasen said the reason for this change is that "the on-screen Bounty looks like the one which is currently available to obtain and play with". This may indicate that, like the ninja's design changes for Season 8, there is no real explanation for this within the world of the show. However, since Bounty was last seen damaged in Season 7, the ninja probably returned to it and repaired it, making the changes before Season 8.
Why is Kai's scar not present in the show?
Did Wu use Creation in the pilots?
How do beings end up in the Underworld?
Beings end up in the Underworld by being warriors who commit disgraceful acts in battle.
Do the skeletons have Elemental Powers?
How do Samukai and the other skeleton generals look like they do if they were humans once?
Samukai and the other Skulkin generals may have been an earlier evolution of humans, explaining their different head shape. Samukai may have gained four arms simply by adding a few extra bones to his body.
What are the smaller snakes seen in the Hypnobrai Tomb?
Why didn't Lou want Cole to be a ninja?
It's mostly implied in the episode that Lou wanted Cole to be a dancer simply because of family tradition. However, it's also possible that Lou additionally didn't want Cole to be a ninja because it would remind Lou of his deceased wife or because he didn't want Cole to end up like her.
How did Jay use Wind?
Is the Great Devourer male or female?
Why did the ninja stop using the Tornado of Creation after this season?
Why wasn't Wu affected by the Devourer's stomach acids as Pythor was?
Why did Zane turn into a kid if he was built with the body of a teenager?
Zane was most likely turned into a child like the rest of the ninja due to the "Weird magic with the Mega Weapon." It's also possible that Dr. Julien had initially built a smaller body for Zane.
Why did Zane say that Nindroids don't dream, even though he was previously seen dreaming?
Was the Mega Weapon erased from existence after the ninja went back in time? How is Lloyd still older?
No. Only some events were erased, and the pilot episodes still happened as they were originally shown. This is why, for example, Lloyd is still older from the Tomorrow's Tea and why Captain Soto and his crew still exists in the present. See more information here.
Was Zane turned evil along with Cole and Jay?
What happened to the Ultra Dragon?
The Ultra Dragon returned to the Realm of Oni and Dragons and was killed by the Dragon Hunters, with its skulls then being used as Iron Baron's throne. Its departure was later shown in "Green and Gold" where it returned to the Spirit Coves before crossing over to the Realm of Oni and Dragons
What happened to the Elemental Blades?
Is the Digiverse one of the Sixteen Realms?
Did the Serpentine lock themselves underground?
Acidicus explained in "The Curse of the Golden Master" that the Serpentine locked themselves underground, but this contradicts what was stated both before and after this episode about their being drive underground by the Sacred Flutes. According to Tommy Andreasen, Acidicus most likely meant that it was the Serpentine's own fault they were locked underground, due to their wrongdoings.
If the Serpentine were known to be at war with each other, why were they united?
While Acidicus' tale makes it seem that the Serpentine all worked together, they were stated in "The Snake King" to have been at constant war with one another. Andreasen explained, "Most of the tribes don't really like each other. They just had the same leader and goals."
Is the Overlord dead?
No. The Overlord can never fully be destroyed, as he is part of the balance. His spirit is currently recovering from his defeat and waiting for the right vessel. He is likely still in Ninjago.
How did Zane survive?
Zane was able to survive because his consciousness vanished into the Digiverse when his body was destroyed, as his consciousness went into the system in the form of a power surge. In other words, in the same way the Overlord survived his initial defeat at the hands of the Golden Ninja, Zane was able to survive in the system and rebuild himself from there.
Where are the Serpentine after this season?
The Serpentine are still mostly living underground for the reasons stated in "The Curse of the Golden Master," which are that they have reformed and no longer desire to "meddle in the affairs above." However, they have helped the ninja from time to time, such as in the episodes "The Corridor of Elders," "Secrets Discovered," and "Ancient History." They did not help out in Hunted, however: as explained in "How to Build a Dragon," they saw how the Time Twins had treated the Vermillion and decided to "sit this one out."
How did Zane and P.I.X.A.L. end up on Chen's Island?
Ronin was paid by Chen to capture Zane, and P.I.X.A.L. was captured along with him. This idea comes from Shadow of Ronin, which has some aspects that are canon to the TV series despite being an overall non-canon game.
Does Zane still have his power source?
How did the original Elemental Masters get their powers?
How long ago was the Serpentine War?
Did the Serpentine fight amongst themselves, or were they united against the Elemental Alliance?
The Serpentine fought amongst themselves before Chen united them.
Were the Elemental Masters in the Serpentine War the original Elemental Masters?
Why did the Anacondrai spell work when Chen didn't have elements such as Wind, Water, and Time?
Who is the Elemental Master of Earth who fought against the other Elemental Masters during the Serpentine War, and why did he betray them?
The Past Elemental Master of Earth seen in the flashback in "Spellbound" is Lilly's father and Cole's grandfather. He turned against the Elemental Alliance because he was hypnotized by a Hypnobrai.
Who is the Elemental Master seen riding an Elemental Dragon during the Serpentine War?
Currently, the identity of the blond-haired, gray-outfitted Elemental Master seen in the flashback in "Spellbound" is not known. It's possible he was the past Master of Form, but this is not confirmed.
Are Elemental Dragons different depending on the user?
What is the Morro Dragon?
How did Morro create lightning?
Why didn't Cole see his reflection?
In "Infamous," Cole gained the ghost ability to become invisible, explaining why he did not see a reflection in the ice labyrinth. However, it's also possible that the ice was showing a point when he was fading away in "Day of the Departed" or something else. It's worth noting that the reflections did not show a random point in the future; rather, they showed important future moments in the ninja's lives.
How did Lloyd obtain Garmadon's robes when Garmadon was chained up?
Why was Cole not affected by the water from Nya's True Potential?
Cole was not effected because the amount of water touching him was not a considerable enough amount to kill a ghost.
Did Nya use the Spinjitzu Burst technique?
When a fan theorized that Nya's True Potential was the Spinjitzu Burst due to its similar appearance and Nya being surrounded by her element, Tommy Andreasen responded that this "has just gotten us all to reconsider that whole thing." If this is true, it would mean an Elemental Master does not need to know Spinjitzu to perform the Burst.
Are the White Nindroids reprogrammed Nindroids from Rebooted?
Did Nadakhan change the past so Jay was adopted?
Was Jay always planned to be adopted?
No. The idea originated during Skybound's development.
Why was Jay abandoned?
"Cliff Gordon was a bit of a womanizer," which prevented him from staying around to be part of a family.
Why did Cole turn gray before going into the Djinn Blade?
The reason Cole turned gray before being trapped in the Djinn Blade is unknown. Tommy Andreasen stated he hated the reason for this and won't say why. He has also said it could be "Nadakhan toying with Cole's feelings" or "Just some Djinn magic … or because Clancee’s wish wasn’t completely sincere."
Were Griffin Turner and Karlof in the Djinn Blade?
Did Skybound happen?
Does Jay still own Cliff Gordon's estate?
No. He is still waiting for his inheritance in the mail.
Why haven't Jay and Nya told the other ninja about Echo Zane and the events of Skybound?
Jay and Nya haven't told the other ninja about Echo Zane because it would require explaining the entire story of the events to them. One reason they may not want to tell the other ninja about it is because the trauma associated with the events makes it a difficult topic to discuss. Additionally, Jay has not told the ninja about his relation to Cliff Gordon because he has no evidence to prove this, as his inheritance letter has not been delivered to him yet.
When did Nya learn Spinjitzu?
Though Nya performed Spinjitzu in "Return of the Overlord," this was due to the Dark Matter's power over her. She did not learn it herself until between Skybound and "Day of the Departed," meaning her red Spinjitzu from the Tournament of Elements intro is non-canon.
Why was Cole fading?
How did Cryptor return if he was a robot?
What is the Earth Punch?
Do other elements have a similar elemental punch ability?
What is Cole's scar?
What are the designs around the Time Twins' eyes?
Though the colored detailing around the twins' eyes was simply a designer's choice with no specific explanation, one possibility is that they are tattoos and Krux wore makeup to cover his when he was disguised as Dr. Saunders.
What happened to Jay's mother?
What is Jay's mother's name?
Why was Ray not as affected by the Reversal Blade as Wu was in Sons of Garmadon?
Ray was only lightly tapped by the Reversal Time Blade, and Wu is the son of the First Spinjitzu Master, so the effects were not the same. However, in "Golden Hour" it was shown that Wu turned younger because he has been subjected to more prolonged exposure of the reversal energy inside the Iron Doom, contradicting what was said in the earlier tweet.
What happened to Airjitzu and the Elemental Dragons?
The ninja no longer use Airjitzu and Elemental Dragons because it would make the characters overpowered. A possible answer for Airjitzu's disappearance is given in the non-canon novel, Way of the Departed, where it's said that Airjitzu draws on dark magic and should no longer be used. Way of the Departed also hints that Wu's disappearance is connected to the Elemental Dragons' disappearance. As of Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu, it would seem that the ninja (at least Lloyd, Nya, and Zane) have fears holding them back once more, as seen by their reflections in the Mirror of Fears in "The Explorers Club." This would presumably prevent them from conjuring their Elemental Dragons.
Do the ninja look different in Sons of Garmadon because of time travel?
No. Though Cole theorizes the ninja's appearance changes were caused by time travel, this is not the true explanation. These changes were caused by factors outside the show and there is no in-universe reason for them.
Will the ninja change back to their original designs?
Most likely not. Tommy Andreasen made tweaks to the new designs to fit the show as much as possible, but overall he did not have control over the change, and the change had to be made for the show to continue.
Why did Lloyd's eyes change color?
The change in Lloyd's eye color is connected to his power, as his eyes become black once more when he loses his powers in "Big Trouble, Little Ninjago," and they return to green when he regains them in "Green Destiny." It is likely connected to his maturing with age. This was also hinted at in the first chapter of Way of the Departed, where Cole says "Lloyd’s eyes have started changing after Master Wu went missing. He trains alone so intensely, and he is really connecting with his powers ... whatever it is."
Why does Kai have a bandage?
Kai likely has a bandage because he thinks it looks cool.
What happened to Yang and the Temple of Airjitzu?
Where did Ray and Maya go?
After The Hands of Time, Ray and Maya most likely went on vacation or returned to Four Weapons Blacksmith. In Chapter 3 of Way of the Departed, it's stated that they went on a tour of Ninjago.
Why do Ultra Violet and Killow have gray skin?
Is Mr. E Echo Zane?
No. While Mr. E was originally going to be Echo Zane during the development of the season, the concept was scrapped because it took too much time in the story. As such, it is not canon to the TV series.
Did Harumi really ever love Lloyd?
No, not really.
If the ninja lost their powers in Possession because Lloyd was possessed, why do they still have them in this season when Lloyd loses his powers?
Why does Teen Wu look different than he did in previous flashbacks?
Teen Wu looked different in this season because the circumstances surrounding is growth were very different.
Is Harumi dead?
Harumi is dead, though like other characters who were presumed dead, it's possible she could come back if there was another great story idea for her.
Is Iron Baron dead?
Iron Baron was not dead when last we saw of him, he was merely frozen in magma. However, he would presumably not survive long without food, water, or air.
Did Lloyd use the Art of the Silent Fist against Garmadon?
Yes, but the crew decided not to reference it by name because the reference was too far back.
Are these shorts canon?
Though the shorts are canon, the events shown in the flashbacks/visions/daydreams are not fully accurate, as "they are saturated by the ninja's current state of mind and self image." This means the ninja remember themselves in a different way, explaining why they have their current appearances in past time periods. For example, "Samurai X-Treme" and its visions of Harumi and her parents may not have happened the same way at all.
Why does Skybound have a mural if it never happened?
Though there is no confirmed answer, it's possible that Jay and Nya told Wu about it. This is supported by the fact that The Book of Spinjitzu was written by Wu before he was lost in time, and the book chronicles the events of Skybound.
Why is there no Day of the Departed mural?
Is the Yin-Yang promise Ninjago's version of marriage?
No. For example, Misako mentions that she is married to Garmadon, meaning marriage exists in Ninjago but is a different thing. Beyond this, not much is known at this time and will not be known unless revealed in the show. "Queen of the Munce" implies that the Yin-Yang Promise is more equivalent to betrothal, and in an "interview," Nya says that it's "pretty much [an] engagement in Ninjago."
Is the Omega one of the original Oni?
How did Cole survive his fall?
In the words of Bragi Schut, "The NGTV building is built in tiers. When Cole fell off the ladder he did not fall all the way to ground level. He hit one of the outcroppings and broke through a skylight." Tommy Andreasen also mentioned how Garmadon was able to jump into the darkness without a parachute in "Into the Breach," implying the fog is thick.
Why were characters able to hold the Golden Armor?
What happened to the Golden Weapons since the end of this season?
After the ninja did the Tornado of Creation in this season, the Golden Weapons lost their power, as they can be seen powering down. They may now be on display similar to how they were in "Battle Between Brothers."
Why did the Hageman Brothers leave?
When asked why they left the show, the Hageman Brothers stated, "If Ninjago has any chance to live on, it needs new voices, new stories, new characters. It’s been in for nearly 10 years. So proud. But also for us, it was time to move on. Also 11 minute stories, man."
Is Ninjago a new show from Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu onward?
Unclear. It is produced under a different studio and no longer includes "Masters of Spinjitzu" in the title. Some sources such as Cartoon Network and the trailer for The Island give the installments produced by WildBrain new numbering. However, there are also sources that refer to it as the same, such as a video on the LEGO YouTube channel from a different region which refers to "Secret of the Wolf" as Season 11 Episode 23 and the title of the blooper reel for Master of the Mountain which refers to Master of the Mountain as "Season 13." The writers have also referred to Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu as the eleventh season. Tommy Andreasen has stated that while it is "kind of a new series," "Whether it's a new or the same series doesn't matter much. It's still Ninjago."
Why did the animation studio change?
Why did the intros change?
The intro format was reworked to allow for more time for the story, as the episode runtime was cut in half.
Why did they stop saying episode numbers?
The episode numbers stopped being announced because it would be too intimidating to new fans if they felt they had to catch up on over a hundred episodes before watching the new ones.
Why was P.I.X.A.L. able to use the Scroll of Forbidden Spinjitzu?
Does time move faster in the Never-Realm?
No. When Zane was banished to the Never-Realm by Aspheera, he was transported decades into the past as well.
How do Akita and Kataru still appear young if Zane took over the Never-Realm decades ago?
Formlings age differently than humans.
Do Lloyd and Akita have feelings for each other?
It is not confirmed whether Akita and Lloyd have feelings for each other. While the Ninjago honest trailer referred to Akita as Lloyd's girlfriend, this was a humorous video not meant to be taken seriously.
Was Nya planned to have a bigger role in the finale?
Tommy Andreasen wanted Nya to take control of Boreal with her powers in "Awakenings" instead of crushing it with ice. However, there were too many moments in the episode, so the scene had to be cut.
How did the Teapot of Tyrahn end up in Ninjago City?
Is Prime Empire a realm?
Have NPCs become humans or androids?
The NPCs most likely did not become androids like Zane or P.I.X.A.L. when they traveled to the real world, but rather, their code was turned into genetic material, the opposite of how the ninja were able to enter Prime Empire by becoming code.
Why are seasons 12 and 13 considered to be one season on platforms such as Netflix?
Seasons 12 and 13 were sold to the broadcaster as one season. Even though they are two separate stories and are considered separate seasons, selling them as one season was simpler than as two separate seasons.
Is Spinjitzu Burst exclusive to Masters of Earth?
Though Wu states in "Masters Never Quit" that the Spinjitzu Burst has only been performed by an Elemental Master of Earth surrounded by his element, it's possible other Elemental Masters could do the martial art, but this will only be confirmed if it's shown in official material such as the TV series.
Do Cole and Vania have feelings for each other?
What is the origin of the Skull of Hazza D'ur and the Re-Awakened?
Their origin is currently unknown and only Tommy Andreasen knows it.
Is Cole colorblind?
In "The Skull Sorcerer," Cole described the Skull of Hazza D'ur as red instead of green. This could mean he is colorblind, as Bragi Schut stated, "I wouldn’t be surprised if he was." However, it's not confirmed. But it is possible that he just didn't remember the Skull well in the rush of events.
Why is this called Season 3?
Because Ninjago is considered a new show by some sources starting with Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu, and because Prime Empire and Master of the Mountain were sold to distributors as one season (see above), The Island can be considered the third season (possibly in combination with Seabound) of this new series.
Is The Island a season?
It depends on whom you ask. LEGO refers to it as Season 3, Bragi Schut considers it to be Season 14 alongside Seabound, and Tommy Andreasen considers it a 44-minute episode, but mostly he doesn't care and says it's up to the viewer.
Why isn't The Island a sixteen-episode season?
Tommy Andreasen said, "We can only hammer in the nails we're given." This implies the length of The Island was due to budgetary constraints or similar issues.
Is Seabound season 14 or 15?
According to Bragi Schut, it is season 14 and season 15 will be released in 2022.
Is Cole's smaller role in the season caused by the death of Kirby Morrow?
No. According to Tommy Andreasen the reason why Cole had a smaller role in this season is that "Cole just had a season dedicated to him, so we thought it was fair to focus elsewhere. Seabound was written and recorded before Kirby Morrow's untimely passing."
Why are Kalmaar's eyes a different color in the show than in the sets?
According to Michael Knap the reason why Kalmaar had yellow-green eyes in the show while in the sets they are blue-pink is that "we did not have the option to make the eyes yellow and the tv show need more detail."
Has Wojira's appearance been planned since Sons of Garmadon where she was mentioned?
No. According to Tommy Andreasen "That’s just how we think. If puzzle pieces connect, we connect them."
Are all shorts animated by one animation studio?
No. According to Chris Wyatt, they worked with different animation studios from around the world to make the short films. "Golden Legend" was animated by Sun Creature Studio, "Gold Rush" was animated by Taiko Studios, both "A Day in the Life of a Golden Ninja" and "Sweatin' to the Goldies" were animated by WildBrain and "Golden Hour" was animated by CC Pixels.
What is "Golden Legend" trying to reimagine?
According to Tommy Andreasen, "It is what Ninjago could have been if we were in a different mood when we conceived it."
Is "Golden Hour" animated by WILFilm ApS?
No. Despite the similarities to WILFilm's animation style, the short is animated by CC Pixels.
What is LEGO World Builder?
LEGO World Builder is a website powered by Tongal. It brings fan and creator communities together to collaborate and develop original stories, shows and more, alongside the LEGO creative team. It was used by Uday Kataria to create an original idea for the story of "Golden Hour."
What was Uday Kataria's original idea for "Golden Hour?"
Kataria's original idea would have involved the ninja splitting up and going to different points in the past to correct alternate realities that resulted from various changes to events from previous seasons.
Why at the end of "Golden Hour" is still not known what happened to the Time Twins?
Why does the crack on the wall of the monastery in "Golden Hour" look like the symbol of the Royal Family?
According to Uday Kataria, the crack is a reference to the fact that the Royal Family seemingly appeared out of nowhere in Season 8, and it suggests that their existence was caused by this change to the timeline.
List of canon installments · List of censorship · List of characters · List of cast and characters · List of catchphrases · List of connections with other LEGO themes · List of episodes · List of set-only vehicles