|“But you must release all the people you took. They are living beings, like yourself. And they deserve freedom.”|
|— Milton Dyer, to Unagami|
|Season 12, Episode 16|
|Air date|| April 26, 2020 (Australia)|
May 2, 2020 (Asia)
|Written by||Bragi Schut|
|Directed by||Wade Cross|
"The Temple of Madness"
Having finished the creation of the Manifestation Gate, Unagami enters Ninjago, terrorizing the citizens, including The Mechanic and his henchmen and hunting for his creator, Milton Dyer. Jay follows him out of the gate on the Cyber Dragon, meeting Zane, P.I.X.A.L., Dyer, and Wu. Jay helps P.I.X.A.L. free Zane from the Manifestation Gate. Begging Zane to wake up, the latter does so and is happy to see Jay again. Asking where everyone else was, Jay tells them the
others that the other Ninja got cubed. He then forms a plan for Dyer to meet Unagami at the top of Borg Tower. Asking if Unagami really could have a change of heart, Jay explains to Wu that instead of being evil, he is just confused by anger. Milton blames himself for what is happening around them, as well as making Unagami upset, which Jay confirms. He also tells them to get Dyer to the tower while he lures Unagami there as he hops back on the Cyber Dragon. When being asked how Jay tells them he has no idea as he dons his hood and takes off.
Getting above the city, Jay tries to find Unagami. Meanwhile down below, Red Visors and Whack Rats are spawned and terrorize civilians. Back in the air, Jay hears the Empire Dragon's roar in anger as he causes an explosion, wanting to find his maker. Jay heads over and tackles the Empire Dragon before he could
harm two of the Mechanic's Henchmen in a noodle truck. Unagami then chases Jay and eventually pins him down. Jay then zaps him with a bolt of lightning from his hands, due to regaining his powers, being out of Prime Empire. They then take off back into the skies, where Jay continues to lure Unagami to Borg Tower.
In the streets of Ninjago, Wu, Zane, P.I.X.A.L, and Dyer run towards Borg Tower to meet with Jay. Zane is easily able to freeze the Red Visors near and Milton stops to take a look at what had been created as a result of his actions. Meanwhile, Okino protects two citizens from two members of the Whack Rats.
Back with the others, Zane and P.I.X.A.L block off Ritchie from causing havoc and take his car to ride into the tower lobby. While Jay lures Unagami up the tower, Milton Dyer tells everyone he's never been to Borg Tower before while they ride in the elevator. Zane comments that they come here often before they feel the destruction Unagami caused to the tower.
Unagami manages to strike at the Cyber Dragon's left thruster, sending it flying onto the helicopter pad and dissipates, leaving Jay to stand on his own two feet. Unagami, in his dragon form, lands in front of him and roars at Jay. Instead of fighting, Jay starts to console him, saying that he could relate to Unagami being abandoned by his creator, as Jay had been adopted and never knew his biological parents. Unagami, turning back into his ruler form and attempts to bring the conversation to an end, pointing his spear at Jay, however, Dyer appears, wanting to speak with his creation.
Unagami seems to soften upon this and waits. Dyer tries to allow Unagami to understand that what he was doing was not his intended purpose--to instill joy, and not fear and suffering. Dyer tells Unagami that he never understood what he had created, that he had feelings, and was as real as himself. Dyer takes the
blame on himself, saying it was entirely his fault, and Unagami was merely doing as he was told and asks to make amends. He asks Unagami to come home, telling him that he would finish his programming and answer his questions. Unagami starts to glitch and change his appearance, showing who he really is: a child who felt lost and betrayed.
Unagami, after turning into a child, accepts his maker's proposal and agrees to return with Dyer, who requests that he release those trapped in Prime Empire, as they are living beings just like them. Unagami accepts but he declares he will release the game characters to give them a chance at life and freedom if they wish. Dyer compliments him on his quick learning of compassion.
The Manifestation Gate then released all those who were previously cubed and the others once trapped in the game,
Jay reunites with Nya and kisses her, and the other Ninja all gather around and ask what happened, as they only remember their time in the game up until they were cubed. Jay says he'll explain everything later, as it’s a long story. After the Red Visors and Whack Rats return to the game since Ninjago doesn't impress them, the ninja ask about Unagami. Jay replies that he's "where he belongs", with Dyer, and like everyone else formerly trapped in the game, is happy to be home.
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Lloyd - Sam Vincent
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- Ritchie - Sam Vincent
- P.I.X.A.L. - Jennifer Hayward
- Unagami/Empire Dragon - Dean Redman, Zion Simpson
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
For the transcript of this episode, click here.
- Narrator: Jay
- The title is a reference to games where the player is either defeated (runs out of lives, health bar depleted, hit points (HP) reach zero), fails any type of mission: such as stealth, timed, raced, and QTEs, or like in arcade games, doesn't press 'Continue' after 10 seconds.
- The Ninja, all cubed players, and various NPCs escape Prime Empire and return to Ninjago.
- Kai, Cole, Lloyd, Nya, Lil' Nelson, Scott and various other players from Ninjago (including Okino's masters from "I am Okino" and the dancers from "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back") return to their physical form prior to entering the game.
- Okino, Racer Seven, Anthony Bruton Nelli, Hyper-Sonic, Unagami and numerous other NPC characters from Prime Empire (including the Chrome Domes and the Ballistic Missiles) arrive and remain in Ninjago.
- Lil' Nelson can be seen with his mother Roise upon exiting the warehouse.
- This confirms that Roise was also trapped in Prime Empire, as Lil' Nelson mentioned her playing the game in Gayle Gossip: A Closer Look.
- The Red Visors and Whack Rats also arrive in Ninjago, yet many willingly return to Prime Empire, if not all.
- Despite having the characters from Prime Empire, this is the second episode not to feature the Prime Empire video game. The first being "Ninjago Confidential", the episode before Game Over.
- This is the third season finale to have the final confrontation take place on Borg Tower, the first two being "The Titanium Ninja" and "Green Destiny."
- It is the sixth season finale where the final battle takes place in Ninjago City. The first was in Season 1 against The Great Devourer, Season 2 and Season 3 both faced The Overlord and Seasons 8 and 9 against Harumi and Lord Garmadon.
- The Mechanic, Antonia, Clutch Powers, Gayle Gossip, and Vinny all make cameos in the episode.
- Milton Dyer and Unagami make amends at the end of the episode, similar to Wu and Morro in "Curseworld, Part II".
For the gallery of the episode, click here.