At one point in his life, Glutinous lost his legs in an unknown incident and became a scientist who began working for Kalmaar and began making replicas of the Storm Amulet.
After being tasked to reawaken Wojira by Kalmaar, Glutinous spent his time at the Temple of Wojira to create replicas of the Storm Amulet while trying to study on the Wave Amulet. Then he connected electricity cables to Wojira, and tried to awake her up by the replica charged by the jellyfish's electricity, but to no avail. Instead, it caused the marine life and and the Elemental Power of Water to go out of control.
When a Maaray Guard handed out a broken Storm Amulet replica to Glutinous, he realized that the replica burned out like the ones before it. After Kalmaar began to get tired of Glutinous' failed attempts, Glutinous tried to explained to him that he needed more time. Kalmaar, however, yelled at him to try again, so he did, but failed when the Storm Amulet replica broke.
When Nya and Maya broke free, they enter the room Glutinous and two Maaray Guards were in. Glutinous looks around, he sees a tower and climbs up it. After Nya and Maya leave, Gripe tells Glutinous to release the Ripper Sharks so they can go after Nya and Maya.
After Kalmaar gets mad at Gripe for releasing the Ripper Sharks, Glutinous tells Kalmaar that the Hydro Bounty was repaired. When Kalmaar doesn't hurt Glutinous, he soon realized that the ninja are smarter than he thought.
Glutinous swims up to the palace and speaks to Kalmaar and Gripe, saying that the storm belt is the location of the Island of the Keepers where the Storm Amulet might be. Gripe points out that there is nothing in the storm belt but Glutinous says that they must go and Kalmaar agrees.
Glutinous was in the Temple of Wojira, when Kalmaar returned with the Storm Amulet. The scientist was concerned and implored Kalmaar to run more tests, but his patience was thin and the two inserted the amulet onto the serpent’s head. Not long after witnessing this did Glutinous began to realise that this was a terrible mistake.
Glutinous then swam all the way to Ninjago City and emerged in Ninjago Harbor, where he frightened several people, but learned where he could find the ninja. Then he turned himself into the Ninjago City Police.
Later, when the ninja and Benthomaar came to the Ninjago City Police Station, Glutinous waited for them in the interrogation room. Then he told them that Kalmaar had reawakened Wojira and that he was coming into Ninjago City. The ninja thanked to him and left with the Police Commissioner. Glutinous then drank his coffee and he liked it, so he also drank the Commissioner's cup.
After the Great Flood, Glutinous returned to Merlopia and became a senior Merlopian statesperson. When Gripe tried to rule over Merlopia, he went to the Monastery of Spinjitzu to ask for help of the ninja. He explained to them that after King Benthomaar left the kingdom, Gripe was trying to conquer it. Since the ninja agreed to help him and Merlopia, they prepared for the journey and set out with Glutinous on the Hydro Bounty.
Once the ninja were in Merlopia, they were attacked by the Maaray Guards. Since Glutinous was more valuable to them because of his position in the kingdom, he explained to the ninja how to get to the palace and then lured the guards away.
When Glutinous noticed that the ninja were trapped in the tunnel, he unlocked the door for them using a security system he had developed. As Gripe closed in the throne room, Glutinous explained to the ninja that they had to stop him or he would control Merlopia. Although Kai tried to destroy everything, Glutinous wanted to stop him, as the destruction of the throne room would lead to the fall of Merlopia. When Gripe was finally defeated, Glutinous promised the ninja that he would watch over Merlopia until his King returned.
Glutinous is a very nervous and frightened creature that has great respect for his master, Kalmaar. His movement is almost always unnatural and often twitches. Kalmaar was aware of his weakness and fear, so he used it to his advantage and constantly insulted him. However, this later paid off, as Glutinous reformed after waking Wojira and decided to help the ninja by going to warn them. He also has an obvious fondness for coffee.
Glutinous is, like the Maaray Guards, black in color and has an eel-like body and cyan eyes, teeth, glove, body parts, and neck scales. He also wears a black vest with cyan details and gold armor. He doesn't have a left arm, so he has a gold prosthesis instead. However, his most distinctive features are his artificial lower limbs, which are in the shape of an octopus and have six legs attached to a circular base. He has a blue lantern on the back of his limbs with a magnifying glass attached to it, which he can place in front of his eye.
Merlopia's leading scientist is attempting to awaken the sea serpent Wojira for Prince Kalmaar. But as intelligent as Glutinous is, he can't turn his dreams into reality. And his boss? Well, he's just really annoyed!
- Intelligence: Glutinous is very intelligent in his field, as he is a scientist.
- Artificial limbs: Glutinous can use his limbs to swim in the sea and walk.
- Fast swimmer: Despite having artificial limbs, Glutinous is a very good and fast swimmer, as he managed to overtake Wojira by several hours.
- 168. "Five Thousand Fathoms Down"
- 169. "The Wrath of Kalmaar"
- 170. "Long Live the King"
- 173. "The Storm Amulet"
- 177. "The Calm Before the Storm"
- 178. "Assault on Ninjago City" (mentioned)
Behind the scenes
- He is the seventh cyborg character in Ninjago, preceded by Cyrus Borg, Techno Wu, the Mechanic, Iron Baron, Daddy No Legs, and Arkade.
- His name means "sticky."
- Glutinous' physical minifigure has him holding a magnifying glass, where his render in the show has the magnifier attached to his leg implants.
- His minifigure uses a unique torso that features extra detail. However, his torso uses in the show is just the standard Maaray Guard torso, albeit with a gold left arm.
- This is one of the few times in which a character's render in the show is less detailed and unique than a physical minifigure.
- His artificial limbs are very similar to Daddy No Legs', and to a lesser extent, Cyrus Borg's.
- They are also able to swim similarly to a squid's tentacles.
- His appearance and body movements are very similar to Char's, as is his personality, that being of a somewhat nervous underling to a harsher main antagonist.
- Several characters could not remember his name, so they called him various other similar-sounding words. The Commissioner called him "Gelatin," while Jay called him "Globby" and "Gloopy."
- He and Clancee are similar in that both are nervous underlings who eventually defect from their leaders and help the ninja.
- Glutinous apparently has a liking for coffee, as seen when he was drinking cups of coffee (including the Commissioner's cup).
- According to Tommy Andreasen: