- 1 History
- 1.1 Prior to Seabound
- 1.2 The Tale of Benthomaar (flashback)
- 1.3 Prior to Five Thousand Fathoms Down
- 1.4 Five Thousand Fathoms Down
- 1.5 The Wrath of Kalmaar
- 1.6 Long Live the King
- 1.7 Escape from Merlopia
- 1.8 The Storm Amulet
- 1.9 Papergirl
- 1.10 Master of the Sea
- 1.11 Assault on Ninjago City
- 1.12 Nyad
- 1.13 The Turn of the Tide
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Weapons
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Behind the scenes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
Prior to Seabound
The Tale of Benthomaar (flashback)
After Kalmaar got mad at Trimaar for not letting him entering the Tartarus Trench, Gripe told him that he agreed with Trimaar about the trench being dangerous. When Kalmaar stated he needed someone to swim through the Tartarus Trench so he could get to the Temple of Wojira, Gripe thought that he meant himself and questioned it.
Prior to Five Thousand Fathoms Down
While Kalmaar was threatening Nya with his trident, Gripe startled him and informed him that Trimaar requested his presence at the palace. Later, Gripe was ordered by Kalmaar to make Nya and Maya tell him where the Island of the Keepers at so they could get the Storm Amulet. However, after Nya and Maya escaped, Gripe ordered Glutinous to release the Ripper Sharks after them.
After Trimaar learned that Kalmaar intended to awaken Wojira, he ordered the Maaray Guards to bring in Kalmaar and Gripe to him. Once the two arrived, Gripe listened to Kalmaar and Trimaar's argument until he saw Trimaar being fatally shot by Kalmaar. He then ordered the other Maaray Guards to capture the ninja and later announced Kalmaar as the new king.
Kalmaar, Gripe, and the other Merlopians walked through the docks at Ninjago Harbor, but Wu, Kai, Cole, Ray and Misako got in their way. Kalmaar ordered Gripe and the other Maaray Guards to attack them.
During Kalmaar's assault on Ninjago City, Gripe and the Maaray Guards attacked the ninja and Benthomaar. During the battle, Benthomaar tried to tell the Maaray Guards about the truth of Trimaar's death, but Gripe prevented them from knowing.
After Kalmaar ordered the Maaray Guards to look for the ninja, Gripe took him to the Police Commissioner, thinking that he knows where the ninja are. After taking him to the Commissioner, he told him that he might be a king.
After Kalmaar seemingly killed Nya, Gripe and the other Maaray Guards attacked the ninja while Kalmaar fought against Jay and Benthomaar. However, after Wojira was freed from Kalmaar's control and ate him, Gripe and the other Maaray Guards escaped.
Gripe is very obedient and loyal to his master, Kalmaar. He is his Merservant and commander of the army of the Maaray Guards, so he often gives orders and determines tasks. He also has a reasonable fear of Kalmaar, and prefers to hide from him that Nya and Maya have fled so that nothing will happen to him.
Gripe is also a little foolish, as he had the Ripper Sharks released on Nya and Maya, rather than catching them alive. He also once dropped an anchor on his foot instead of into the sea. He seems to be quite nervous in Kalmaar's presence, and whenever he accidentally interrupts him, he apologizes.
As the Merservant of Kalmaar, he was somewhat corrupt as he was aware of Kalmaar's villainous actions and voluntarily helped him with them, even when Kalmaar killed his father. He was even willing to deceive his people when Benthomaar tried to convince them that Kalmaar had killed the king. However, he also seems to have a human side, as he did not want to destroy his kingdom by attacking the ninja.
Like other Maaray Guards, Gripe is black in color and has an eel-like body with legs and light green eyes, teeth, gloves, body parts, and neck scales. He wears big golden armor with a shoulder pad on his right shoulder over a black vest with light green details.
- Trident: Gripe owns a powerful trident that is able to shoot powerful electrical bolts capable of injuring someone.
- 168. "Five Thousand Fathoms Down" (no lines)
- 169. "The Wrath of Kalmaar"
- 170. "Long Live the King"
- 171. "Escape from Merlopia"
- 172. "The Tale of Benthomaar" (flashback)
- 173. "The Storm Amulet"
- 175. "Papergirl"
- 176. "Master of the Sea"
- 178. "Assault on Ninjago City"
- 179. "Nyad"
- 180. "The Turn of the Tide"
Behind the scenes
- His voice is similar to that of Axl from Nexo Knights, likely because they have the same voice actor.
- A running gag within Seabound is Gripe startling Kalmaar, and him denying him being startled.
- His name means "to complain about something in a persistent, irritating way", or "to grasp something tightly".
- He has a smaller version of the shoulderpads on the Hero armor.
- He is the only Maaray Guard who is confirmed to know that Trimaar was killed by Kalmaar and not by the ninja.
- He is similar to Char, because they are both leaders of the respective armies with a different color scheme than the others of their kind, have the same head mold, similar body movements and are voiced by Brian Drummond.