|“Behold, Dromaeosaurid Theropod Grundalicus, otherwise known as the Grundle. Although now extinct, in its time it was the most fear and dangerous creature in all of Ninjago, with claws that could slice through steel, and heightened senses that could detect its prey from miles away. It could track the stealthiest of Ninja, and once it had picked up your scent, there was no hiding from it.”|
|— Garmadon to the Serpentine in "Child's Play"|
Grundles (short for Dromaeosaurid Theropod Grundalicus and alternatively spelled as Grundals) were reptilian predators that once roamed Ninjago. By the time Lloyd was being trained to master his powers, the species was long extinct, with a skeleton on display in the Ninjago Museum of History. Using the Mega Weapon, Lord Garmadon revived the beast's skeleton and it attacked the ninja before it was eventually destroyed by Lloyd, who turned older in the process.
- 1 History
- 2 Abilities and attributes
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
Ghost Story (flashback)
Several years later, the Grundle species would eventually go extinct, under unknown circumstances.
Lord Garmadon attempted to resurrect the Grundle with the power of the Mega Weapon, seeking to use it as the ultimate anti-ninja weapon. The ninja interfered with the ritual, causing them to be reverted to children—unfortunately for them, the Grundle was still revived and began stalking the city in search of its prey.
With their fighting skills reduced with their age, the ninja were helpless against the Grundle, but Lloyd took them to Rufus MacAllister's comic book store, where he felt that they could find some defense against the beast. Using light-up illuma-swords, the ninja were able to keep the Grundle at bay for a time, but the prehistoric monster eventually knocked the weapons from their hands.
The ninja were only saved by the arrival of Nya and Master Wu, who had brought age-increasing Tomorrow's Tea with them. Despite being in range of the tea's effect, Lloyd threw the tea at the Grundle, undoing the time-reversal spell that had revived it and de-aged the ninja. The Grundle collapsed into a pile of bones once again, and the ninja were restored to their former selves - along with Lloyd, who was now a teenager.
A comic about the Grundle is seen on the floor of Lloyd's room.
A miniature Grundle skeleton is seen as part of Chen's trophy collection.
A statue of the Grundle was part of the ninja exhibit at the Ninjago Museum of History.
Lloyd and Harumi are chased by a Grundle, this time in green. While the Grundle chases both of them, they fall into a crack in the ground. The Grundle then could not get to them and it walked away.
Abilities and attributes
The Grundle is fast, powerful, and resilient, having a hide immune to ordinary weapons. However, it is a nocturnal creature, and thus very vulnerable to light - even the relatively meager light projected by toy illuma-swords is enough to make it flinch.
Its claws can tear through metal and its senses are keen enough to track even a ninja. It constantly secretes large amounts of viscous green ooze from its mouth—presumably some type of poison—but its effects are unknown.
- 18. "Child's Play"
- 80. "The Quiet One"
- It resembles a large theropod dinosaur such as Giganotosaurus or Tyrannosaurus, rather than a dromaeosaurid.
- As seen in "Ghost Story," Grundles were still alive during the era of the Serpentine War (as Wu's flashback took place around the same time as Garmadon's flashbacks in "Spellbound") but went extinct sometime afterwards.
- The appearance in "The Quiet One" could mean that some sort of Grundle species is still alive in Primeval's Eye. The name of the jungle also refers to this fact.
- Though the name "Grundalicus" would presumably be shortened to "Grundal," the name is generally spelled as "Grundle." While Tommy Andreasen and captions for "Child's Play" spell it as "Grundal," subtitles are not an official source and often have errors, while Andreasen has said to trust official publications over his names for things. Meanwhile, the word is spelled as "Grundle" on a sticker in the 70657 Ninjago City Docks set (translated in Ninjargon), the LEGO.com description for the Mega Weapon, and the Dark Island Trilogy, Part 1 Episode Guide.
- Grundles can have different colors, of which red, brown-green and green are known so far.