|“I wonder who that was.”|
“Someone who didn't stop in time.”
“Hmm... Hageman. A competitor. He was good. Very good. But, he didn't read my book. And it cost him his life.”
|— Zane, Kai, and Clutch Powers, "Boobytraps and How to Survive Them"|
Over a decade ago, Hageman was a competitor of Clutch Powers and was held in high regard by his fellow explorer. At some point, Hageman explored the pyramid using Clutch's guidebook for advice, but he failed to read to the part that covered avoiding traps. He tripped over the web and fell to a spiked floor where he met a grisly end via impalement.
After Jay accidentally set off the cobweb trap, Kai destroyed the spikes from the trap, and the ninja and Clutch Powers stumbled upon Hageman's skeleton. As Clutch remarked his competitor's demise, claiming he didn't read his book, Zane found the book on the ground and told Clutch that Hageman did read it, though Clutch realizes he stopped on chapter 8. Clutch then throws the book aside, hitting Hageman's skeleton and causing it to fall apart.
Managing to escape the lava at first, the ninja came across Hageman's skeleton before using his climbing gear to go up the still-sloped stairs while Hageman's skeleton melted from the rising lava.
- Hageman's deceased status may be a reference to how the Hageman Brothers have stopped writing for Ninjago.
- Clutch Powers complimenting Hageman as a good competitor is almost similar to what Indiana Jones said about Forrestal in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Like Forrestal, Hageman died by spikes.
- His loincloth has the same appearance as the cloth on the Ghost Warriors' armor.
- The melting of his skeleton by lava is similar to the way lava melted Morro's skeleton in "The Crooked Path".