The informative featured video at the top of the article is provided by the host's Featured Video team and not the editors of this wiki. It may not accurately represent the article and contradict info on the wiki itself, so it should not be taken at face value. Info may become outdated over time.
|Kai||Kai (The LEGO Ninjago Movie)|
Kai is the current Elemental Master and Ninja of Fire, Nya's elder brother, and Ray and Maya's son and eldest child. He and his younger sister worked as blacksmiths in their father's blacksmith shop all their life until they met Master Wu. With his guidance, Kai learned Spinjitzu and discovered his other teammates, Cole, Jay, Zane, and Lloyd, with whom he embarked on many adventures; battling the likes of the Serpentine and the Stone Army.
After Zane's sacrifice to destroy the Golden Master, the ninja parted ways before reuniting to go rescue Zane on Chen's Island. There, Kai grew closer to Skylor, one of the tournament contenders, as they competed in the Tournament of Elements. Ultimately, he allied with the other Elemental Masters to defeat Chen's Anacondrai warriors. After the war ended, Lloyd was possessed by Morro, who escaped the Cursed Realm and released a legion of ghosts. Kai and the ninja battled Morro and his forces before the Cursed Realm was destroyed.
The ninja found fame after saving Stiix, but when Nadakhan returned with the Sky Pirates, Kai was the first of the ninja trapped in the Sword of Souls. Jay freed him and reversed recent events with his final wish. On the Day of the Departed, Kai and Nya fought a revived Chen, who they defeated once more. When the Time Twins returned to Ninjago, Krux tried to convince Kai that Kai's parents were traitors. Kai and Nya reunited with their parents and stopped Krux and Acronix from changing the future. They managed to track them through time and stopped them before Wu sent Kai and Nya back to the present, while Wu ended up lost in the time.
Kai and the ninja later watch over Princess Harumi after she lost her adopted parents. They later discover that she secretly is the leader of the Sons of Garmadon and wants to resurrect Lord Garmadon. Despite the ninja's efforts, Harumi successfully resurrects Garmadon, and shortly after, Kai ends up marooned in the Realm of Oni and Dragons, which is also known as the First Realm, with Cole, Jay, Zane, and the de-aged Wu. Kai and the ninja help save the various dragons from the Dragon Hunters and help the now-teenage Wu regain his confidence and memories. After Iron Baron is defeated by Firstbourne, Wu reclaims the Dragon Armor, in turn allowing them to return to Ninjago. Upon returning, along with his fellow ninja, he takes down Garmadon's Colossus while Lloyd defeats his father, restoring peace to Ninjago once again. Afterward, he along with the other ninja attend the celebration and Kai and Skylor share a moment. When the Oni finally invade, the ninja team up with Lord Garmadon, and Kai and the rest of the ninja fight to defend their home. Kai used his blacksmithing skills to reforge Golden Weapons, using the Golden Armor, and later defeats the Oni by using the Tornado of Creation with the other ninja, Wu, and Garmadon.
Months later, Kai and his friends fight against Aspheera and her Pyro Vipers after accidentally releasing them from their tomb, and Aspheera took away Kai's power, making Kai think that he can't help. After Zane is banished by Aspheera's sorcery, he and the remaining ninja send themselves to the Never-Realm to rescue him, a land ruled by the Ice Emperor. While Lloyd went to find Zane, Kai and the others protected the Ice Fishers of Great Lake, who call Kai the Fire Maker after he relights the Hearth Fire and regains a fraction of his power. After failing to prevent Boreal from freezing the village, Kai makes up for his loss by regaining his full powers in time to destroy the Ice Dragon, discovering that Zane is the Ice Emperor. With Zane having managed to return to his senses and freeing the Never-Realm from its eternal winter, the team reunite together and use Traveler's Tea to head back to Ninjago.
Sometime later, Kai and the other ninja enter the virtual world of Prime Empire, when the legendary arcade game resurfaces and hundreds of gamers are zapped into it. Due to his recklessness, Kai was the first to lose all but one of his lives, and later, he and Cole sacrifice themselves in a race, allowing the rest to win. Eventually, Jay was able to help Unagami and Milton Dyer make amends, releasing Kai and the others trapped in the game.
Kai later traveled to the Kingdom of Shintaro on top of Shintaro Mountain. When he discovers Cole was captured by the evil Skull Sorcerer, he travels underground and helps save him. Zane and Kai later get captured by the Geckles and tames a creature known as a Mino. Zane and Kai try to unite the Geckles and the Munce but end up being captured along with Jay, Nya, Lloyd, and Zane. The Skull Sorcerer sentences them to death, but they are saved by Plundar, a member of the Upply, under Cole's command. Kai helps the other ninja fight against the Re-Awakened and they eventually succeed. Kai, Wu, and the other ninja leave Shintaro, but prepare to go on another adventure.
When Nya lost control of her powers, he stayed behind at the monastery along with Cole while the others went to investigate. Later on, he attempted to stop Kalmaar from awakening Wojira, but ultimately failed and he assisted the other ninja in the fight that followed. He was saddened when Nya left, and attended her memorial.
- 1 History
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Age
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Personality
- 6 Weapons and Abilities
- 7 In the Tournament app
- 8 Vehicles
- 9 Official descriptions
- 9.1 Rebooted
- 9.2 Pilot (2017 Museum gallery)
- 9.3 Season 1 (2017 Museum gallery)
- 9.4 Season 2 (2017 Museum gallery)
- 9.5 Season 3 (2017 Museum gallery)
- 9.6 Season 4 (2017 Museum gallery)
- 9.7 Season 5 (2017 Museum gallery)
- 9.8 Season 6 (2017 Museum gallery)
- 9.9 Season 7 (2017 Museum gallery)
- 9.10 Season 8
- 9.11 2019 (The Legacy of Kai)
- 9.12 2019
- 9.13 2020
- 9.14 Season 13
- 9.15 2021
- 10 Appearances
- 10.1 Sets
- 10.2 Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
- 10.2.1 Pilot episodes
- 10.2.2 Mini-movies
- 10.2.3 Season 1: Rise of the Snakes
- 10.2.4 Season 2: Legacy of the Green Ninja
- 10.2.5 Season 3: Rebooted
- 10.2.6 Season 4: Tournament of Elements
- 10.2.7 Season 5: Possession
- 10.2.8 Season 6: Skybound
- 10.2.9 Day of the Departed
- 10.2.10 Season 7: The Hands of Time
- 10.2.11 Happy Birthday to You!
- 10.2.12 Season 8: Sons of Garmadon
- 10.2.13 Season 9: Hunted
- 10.2.14 Tales from the Monastery of Spinjitzu
- 10.2.15 Season 10: March of the Oni
- 10.2.16 Season 11: Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu
- 10.2.17 Prime Empire Original Shorts
- 10.2.18 Season 12: Prime Empire
- 10.2.19 Season 13: Master of the Mountain
- 10.2.20 The Island
- 10.2.21 Season 14: Seabound
- 10.2.22 Ninjago: Reimagined
- 10.3 Books
- 10.4 Plays
- 10.5 Video games
- 11 Etymology
- 12 Behind the scenes
- 13 Trivia
- 14 Videos
- 15 Gallery
- 16 References
- Main article: Kai/History
Typically preferring red attire, Kai has tall, thick spiky brown hair, shaped like fire, similar to his hair in The LEGO Ninjago Movie. He is often seen with a focused expression on his face, with a scar visible on his right eyebrow and bandage above his left, which has been there for a long time, possibly because he thinks it looks cool. Before Season 8, his hair was a slightly darker shade of brown, his eyebrows were black, his bangs parted to the right and instead of a scar, he had a notch on his left eyebrow. However, he has a scar below his eye in the LEGO sets released prior to Season 8, which is now reflected in the sets and in the show after Season 8 onwards. From Season 11 onward, his hair is more textured with color.
In "Way of the Ninja" and "Endings," Kai wore a white shirt and red pants as well as an orange apron. Since "The Royal Blacksmiths," Kai's civilian attire consists of a red half-zipped up sweater over a maroon shirt with his symbol on the chest and brown pants. Throughout Season 6, he wore a red cap over his hair to conceal his identity. In the pilot and The New Masters of Spinjitzu, it can be observed that Kai has chest hair while wearing pajamas, but in later appearances where his chest is visible, including the appearance of his past self while time traveling to the events of the pilot, the hair is no longer there, possibly due to an editing mistake.
In an anime-styled scene of "The Absolute Worst," Kai's eyes appear to be brown or hazel.
In Prime Empire, Kai's avatar gives him a different look. His hair is now blonde and he has red paint over his eyes, similar to Harumi. He also has a red square print that is half-hidden on his chest and wears a sleeveless red gi with gold bolt-like patterns and dark red diamond-shaped marks on the chest.
For more images on Kai's appearance in his different ninja suits, click here.
Like the majority of his fellow ninja, Kai is currently in his late teens. He is two years older than Nya. However, the ninja do not officially have specific ages, as they are meant to be perpetually in their teenage years for the duration of the show. As of Hunted, he and the other three original ninja were stated to be "grown-up teenagers" by Jay. Misako has more recently referred to Kai as a grown man, implying he is legally an adult as of Seabound.
- Main article: Kai's relationships
Fittingly for his elemental affinity, Kai is very hotheaded, prone to taking action before he thinks things through. He is capable of making careful observations when the need arises, but his emotions often override his caution. His single-mindedness made interaction with his teammates difficult at first (especially due to his worry about Nya), but he eventually learned to work with the other ninja. He can be very cocky at times, sometimes even to the point of selfishness, insisting that he is better than others, gloating about his victory, or yelling about his failures. He seems to have a large ego as he wanted to be the Green Ninja and lead the team.
Later, following the ninja's fame, Kai would end up getting something of a larger head and bigger ego, constantly flirting with girls and enjoying the merchandise styled after him. He indulged in his fame the most out of all of the ninja.
Kai also has something of an overconfident stubborn side, believing that he is in the right until overwhelming evidence to the contrary is presented. This is especially pronounced during Lord Garmadon's stay on the Destiny's Bounty; Kai repeatedly accused the four-armed villain of treachery or plotting despite Garmadon's insistence that saving Lloyd was his primary concern at the time. On the other hand, Kai's stubborn streak lends him incredible determination that allows him to bolster the team's spirit in the face of impossible odds.
Despite having no powers at the time, Kai showed intense loyalty through his determination to protect Lloyd when the latter was possessed by Morro. As time passed, Kai mentally connected his power with his self-worth to a greater degree, at one point hesitating to give up his power to save Lloyd and, at another point, losing hope when his power was taken by Aspheera.
Overall, Kai is tough, brave, confident, passionate ninja. The most prevalent facet of Kai's personality is his good heart and dedication to people he cares about—if someone can earn his friendship, he will stop at nothing to protect them. Much of his stubbornness and recklessness are due to his desire to help his loved ones, either directly or by becoming strong enough to defeat anyone who might threaten them with their plans. In turn, his friends and family work to balance out Kai's more extreme traits, causing him to become a levelheaded mentor for Lloyd by the time he and his comrades begin training the Green Ninja. According to Zane, Kai's desire to protect his friends is just as powerful as his temper.
Unlike his sister, Kai likes to spend time with his parents and doesn't mind it when his mother tends to baby him. He also formed better relationship with Ray while playing video games at the monastery with Cole.
Weapons and Abilities
- Fire: Being the Elemental Master of Fire, Kai can create Fire with his own hands and either throw them, use them as boxing gloves, or make a huge spread of Fire at his opponent. It is also shown that he can withstand high temperatures and walk through fire unharmed. He also has to ability to move fire at will.
- Swords, katanas and blades: Kai favors swords in combat, taking up a curved silver blade against the Skulkin when they attacked his shop.
- Sword of Fire: He used the Sword of Fire as his primary weapon until it was lost, and then switched to wielding regular katanas.
- Elemental Blade: He eventually gained an Elemental Blade that allowed him to harness his fire abilities to an even greater degree.
- Techno Blades: Months after Lloyd defeated the Overlord, Kai, along with the other three ninja (Cole, Jay, and Zane), receive Techno Blades, a weapon which allows the ninja to hack into any electronics.
- Aeroblade: He also has an Aeroblade (along with Cole, Jay and Zane), that can destroy ghosts.
- Kai's Twin Katanas: In Season 8: Sons of Garmadon and in Season 10: March of the Oni he switched to using Kai's Twin Katanas.
- Kai's golden katana: As of Season 11: Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu, Kai uses his golden katana. In Season 13: Master of the Mountain, he uses a shorter sword resembling a hatchet.
In the Tournament app
Kai is a playable character in the Tournament app. His teacher version can be purchased for 50,000 studs, his jungle version can be purchase for 250,000 studs, and his special move is Spinjitzu, much like Jay, Cole, Zane, Master Wu, and Sensei Garmadon.
Kai has owned a variety of different vehicles in his ninja history.
- Fire Dragon
- Fire Dragon (Realm of Oni and Dragons)
- Elemental Fire Dragon
- Blade Cycle
- Kai's bike
- Prototype X-1
- Fire Mech
- Mech Jet
- Katana V11
- Mini submarine
- Kai Fighter
- Mech Jet
The name, Kai, means "strong," "victorious," and "recovery," in three Asian cultures, all of which fit his hotshot attitude in the ninja's battles. His name may also be derived from the Japanese word Akai, meaning "red." In Scottish, Kai's name means "fire"; matching his elemental power. In Japanese, Kai's name also means "ocean," which annotates his mother's and sister's water abilities. In Hawaiian, Kai's name also means "sea", a further link to his mother's and sister's water abilities.
Names Kai originally had were Dante and Ash, with Ash being the name The Hageman Brothers originally suggested. The name was not used because it was already the name of the protagonist of the Pokémon franchise. Ash was later said on LEGO.com to have been a nickname for Kai when he was young, As Tommy Andreasen was the one who wrote this description in 2012, it can be considered canon. Another character similar to Kai ended up using the name Ash, the Master of Smoke.
Behind the scenes
- Kai and Nya's surname is unknown, though it was considered to be "Smith" behind the scenes, but this is not necessarily canon to the show. They were also called this in the 2014 blooper reel.
- Kai kept his original one-sided head-piece for the longest out of all the six ninja lasting until Season 8: Sons of Garmadon. Except for his Stone Armor variant, which was released as an exclusive small set, his Golden Ninja variant, which was released in a Bricktober pack, and his fusion armor variant in 70627 Dragon's Forge, all of his minifigures have featured him with the same scarred face. However, the Stone Armor minifigure includes Kai's show-accurate head without the scar, and in the Dragon's Forge set, Kai has two brand new face prints, one has a confident smirk and the other has an angry facial expression with orange glowing eyes, representing him using one of the Time Blades. In addition, his Golden Ninja variant had a big, toothy smile on it.
- To mirror his movie self's appearance, he now has his scar on the right side of his face as of Season 8.
- Kai's elemental symbol is the Chinese character "平," meaning "flat" or "peaceful."
- According to Vincent Tong in the "Ten Years of Spinjitzu" documentary, Kai was originally supposed to have red hair and freckles.
- Kai's physical minifigure prior to Season 8: Sons of Garmadon had a rubber hairpiece. It was not completely show-accurate, as in the show his hair is thinner and slightly longer in the back.
- Like the other ninja, Kai uses his movie counterpart's hairpiece from Season 8 onward, though it was shortened because Tommy Andreasen didn't like the size of his hair from the movie, and it is also now a shade of reddish-brown instead of dark brown.
- Tommy Andreasen responded to a question about Kai's hair change with "All it takes to change a head of hair is a brisk breeze", though this does not completely explain it as the texture of his hair also changed.
- His hair-headband combo in The Island is the same height as the set version because it is based on a new, slightly different piece.
- The rest of Kai's scar below his eye is missing in Season 11. Tommy Andreasen pointed out that they didn't notice it until it was too late. He said it would appear again in future seasons.
The Trivia on Kai needs to be organized.
- Kai is the first character to speak in the series.
- Before Lloyd, Kai was the main character of the show. The turning point for this was "The Green Ninja", when Kai realized his destiny wasn't to become the Green Ninja, but to protect him.
- However, Kai is still one of the six main protagonists, and often gets a spotlight in the sets more often than other characters such as Cole and Nya.
- In the series, Kai is the only ninja and protagonist who has never defeated a main antagonist alone. Lloyd defeated the Overlord in "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master" and Emperor Garmadon in Green Destiny, Zane defeated the Overlord once again in "The Titanium Ninja", Nya destroyed the Preeminent in "Curseworld, Part II" and Wojira by merging with the sea in "The Turn of the Tide", Jay used his final wish to defeat Nadakhan in "The Way Back", Cole defeated the Skull Sorcerer by using the Spinjitzu Burst in "The Son of Lilly", and Wu prevented the Time Twins from continuing their villainy by losing them in the Time Vortex in "Lost in Time".
- Kai is the fourth ninja to join the team, the last of the original four to claim his Golden Weapon, the fourth ninja to unlock his True Potential, and the third to last to have a love interest. On the other hand, he was the first ninja introduced in the series, the first to tame his respective dragon, and the first ninja to perform Airjitzu.
- He cannot skate, as seen in "Ninja Roll."
- He apparently appears to have a fear of Christmas-related subjects, as shown in "Can of Worms," when the Venomari's venom causes him to see things like Santa Claus, gingerbread men, and elves.
- Since "The Invitation," Kai's had feelings for Skylor, which she initially used against him until she began to genuinely return them. In Season 7, it is shown he visits her, making it possible they are currently still seeing each other.
- In "Green Destiny," he was by her side when she woke up after Garmadon lost his power. Later on, they held hands at the end of the episode, deepening their relationship.
- Kai is mentioned to be aquaphobic during "Stiix and Stones" and to have an extreme fear of water. It is ironic, then, that his sister turned out to be the Elemental Master of Water. However, this is a direct contradiction to "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master," in which he stated he would swim the whole ocean to reach Ninjago City from the Dark Island.
- Ironically, in Hawaiian, Kai's name means "ocean" or "ocean water."
- Despite his apparent aquaphobia, Kai showed no signs of his fear during the course of Seabound.
- However, it is possible Kai has overcome his aquaphobia at some point between Possession and Seabound.
- However, Kai is still shown to not know how to swim as he nearly drowned in "Papergirl" before Antonia rescued him. But it could be possible that Kalmaar knocked him out.
- He considers Lloyd to be like a younger brother. As of Season 5, Kai also becomes somewhat of a guidance figure to Lloyd. This bond between the Red and Green Ninja can be traced to that of the same colors in Chinese mythology and culture.
- Kai appears to holster the Sword of Fire as if he was left-handed, but uses all other weaponry and tools in his right hand; this might mean Kai is ambidextrous.
- This may have been confirmed by Season 8 because Kai uses two katanas in this season.
- Kai and the other ninja (except Nya) can only harness their Elemental Powers by being dependent on Lloyd. This may be because Lloyd shares his Golden Power with them.
- At the end of Season 8, Lloyd loses his powers. However, Kai and the other ninja retain theirs.
- This could mean that they have become more adept at using their powers without Lloyd and do not need to rely on him anymore to use them.
- Kai says he hates technology but can be seen enjoying video games and using his phone to send Chirps. His dislike may have been because he wasn't used to it growing up as a child. He may have learned to adapt.
- He is similar to Krux since both have a hatred for technology, and are the oldest sibling.
- While the website states that he is often one of the leaders of the group, this was never officially part of the show.
- He and Jay are the third and fourth ninja to be believed to be dead (in "Big Trouble, Little Ninjago"). The first is Zane (in "The Titanium Ninja") and the second being Cole (in "Day of the Departed").
- He had freckles when he was younger, as seen in "A Time of Traitors" and "Pause and Effect." However, they were not present when he was temporarily turned into a child along with the other ninja in "Child's Play."
- Tommy Andreasen said he didn't think Kai uses hair gel to maintain his appearance. This makes sense considering Kai and Nya came from a small, poor village that most likely did not have hair gel and his hairstyle was already spiky before he became a ninja.
- He and Zane are currently the only ninja to have their Golden Techno Robe variant as a physical minifigure.
- The Golden Techno Robe Kai figure is in the Ninjago Toys "R" Us Bricktober pack for 2017.
- Kai once forged a weapon known as a Swingana, being half yo-yo, half sword. It was not a big success.
- Kai singed his eyebrows off with the Sword of Fire once, but nobody noticed because he drew them back on with black marker.
- While Kai wasn't experienced with the Staff of Elements which got him corrupted, he was wise at using the Elements against Chen's army.
- After Kai and Nya's parents were kidnapped by Krux, a babysitter named Mrs. Grumbmiller was hired to take care of them, but Kai and Nya would call her Madam Revenge because she made them go to bed early.
- Kai is the second ninja to solely lose their powers due to someone absorbing them, the first being Lloyd.
- Kai has been the mascot of the most Ninjago waves, being the mascot of the sets from the pilot, Season 4, Season 7, Legacy, and Season 11.
- However, Kai's eyebrow notch is absent in his pilot and Legacy mascots.
- Kai is the only character to appear in all Ninjago: Legacy Wave 3 and 5 sets.
- Kai is the only one out of the ninja who has an avatar in Season 12: Prime Empire that doesn't have triangle markings on his avatar body.
- Kai places second behind Jay to have worn every suit, with the exception of the Scuba gear Zane, Lloyd, Nya, and Jay wore in Seabound. Nya and Lloyd did not wear various earlier suits, having joined the ninja team later; Zane did not wear the tournament robes or Digi robes; and Cole did not have an Avatar variant in the show.
- In the "Journey to Mastery" video series on LEGO.com, Kai's journey to mastery is primarily courage.
- Besides the clip from "Superstar Rockin' Jay," all the clips used are from before Season 8.
- Kai is portrayed as the focus character of the sets for Firstbourne, the Destiny's Wing, and the Stone Mech despite not being specifically connected to any of them in the show.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, it is possible that when Ray and Maya disappeared, Kai and Nya were cared for by their friendly neighbors, whom Wu asked for.
- As Kai serves as an older brother figure to Lloyd, he has a habit of ruffling Lloyd's hair, which is seen in "Pirates vs. Ninja," "Winds of Change," and "The Mask of Deception."
- Kai is the only ninja to have stayed human for the duration of the series; Zane is a Nindroid, Jay temporarily changed into a Fangpyre in "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", Cole was transformed into a ghost from "The Temple on Haunted Hill" through "Day of the Departed", Lloyd is part Oni and dragon, and Nya merged with the Endless Sea in "Nyad".
- He appeared as a Minecraft skin in the set 21160 The Illager Raid from LEGO Minecraft.
- He is similar to Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender, because they are both teenagers with dark brown hair and a scar over their eye, they can control and create fire, at least one of their parents (Maya and Ray for Kai, and Ursa for Zuko) was lost in their childhood and later found, both have a younger sister (Nya and Azula), and both learn to control their anger over the course of the series and realize their original goal is the wrong path. He also worked at a tea shop, lost his powers and regained them through a dragon somehow, wields twin blades, and is friends with a prophesied legendary hero who has the ability to wield multiple elements (Lloyd and Aang).
- According to Tommy Andreasen in 2017, Kai is probably the ninja with the least development throughout the series, though he did have significant development in Rise of the Snakes and The Hands of Time.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, if Kai was a YouTuber, his videos would be bad dating tips.
- According to Bragi Schut, if Kai had a secret hobby, it would be practicing one-liners in the mirror. Jay was previously seen doing this before his date with Nya in "Once Bitten, Twice Shy."
- Main article: Kai/Gallery
- "The Gilded Path"
- "The Call of the Deep"
- "The Green Ninja"
- "Winds of Change"
- "Big Trouble, Little Ninjago"
- "The Call of the Deep"
- Choose the Path Play Guide
- https://twitter.com/TommyAndreasen/status/972364767733125120 (link missing context)
- https://www.lego.com/en-us/kids/videos/ninjago/kais-courageous-journey-to-mastery-0a5ba12fe41fa93ff661bdb94c751664 (link unavailable)