King Kalmaar was the king of the Merlopians and the ruler of the Endless Sea. Due to his hatred for humans, Kalmaar became obsessed with reawakening a sea serpent known as Wojira so he can use her powers to destroy the surface world.
As years went by, Kalmaar was still searching for Wojira until he once managed to find a sea scroll depicting the Temple of Wojira. With the help of his adoptive brother, whom he used, he got to the temple, stole the Wave Amulet from his kind and began experimenting with models of the real Storm Amulet in order to reawake Wojira.
When he learned the position of the real Storm Amulet from Nya, Kalmaar killed his father and blamed it on the ninja so he could become king of Merlopia. After he became king, he went on a quest to find the Storm Amulet for his main goal. Once he did, he was able to reawaken Wojira and take control of her with his trident. However, during his assault on Ninjago City, Kalmaar was ultimately devoured by Wojira after Benthomaar destroyed his trident, which resulted in him losing control of the sea serpent.
- 1 History
- 1.1 Prior to Seabound
- 1.2 Between A Big Splash and Unsinkable
- 1.3 Five Thousand Fathoms Down
- 1.4 The Wrath of Kalmaar
- 1.5 Long Live the King
- 1.6 Escape from Merlopia
- 1.7 The Storm Amulet
- 1.8 Riddle of the Sphinx
- 1.9 Papergirl
- 1.10 Master of the Sea
- 1.11 The Calm Before the Storm
- 1.12 Assault on Ninjago City
- 1.13 Nyad
- 1.14 The Turn of the Tide
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Weapons and abilities
- 5 Vehicles and Creatures
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Etymology
- 9 Behind the scenes
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Gallery
- 12 References
Prior to Seabound
Years ago, Kalmaar and Trimaar wandered around in the Endless Sea when Kalmaar saw a shipwreck. While there, Kalmaar tried to get Trimaar to tell him more about Wojira until Trimaar saw Benthomaar being attacked by eels. After Trimaar fought the eels off, he introduced Kalmaar to Benthomaar, the newest member of their family. As years went by, Kalmaar ignored Benthomaar whenever he tried to please him.
Eventually, Kalmaar discovered that Wojira was in a temple at the Tartarus Trench and told his father about it. Trimaar, however, forbid Kalmaar into going there due to the trench being dangerous and filled with poisonious sulphur vents. Soon, Kalmar told Gripe that he needed someone that could help him swim through the Tartarus Trench safely, so he got Benthomaar to swim through there by saying that he was sorry for not seeing that he is part of the family.
Once they went to the Tartarus Trench, Benthomaar and Kalmaar swam passed the vents and eels and made it to the Temple of Wojira. After Benthomaar saved Kalmaar from eels, Kalmaar revealed to him that he still doesn't consider him as his brother and that it was only an act. He told him to go. Benthomaar obeyed saying that he hopes Kalmaar gets his wish.
Between A Big Splash and Unsinkable
After returning the Wave Amulet to Wojira, he tasked Glutinous and some of the Maaray Guards to use replicas of the Storm Amulet as a replacement for it. However, instead of awaking Wojira, it created an energy pulse that caused the marine life and Nya's powers to go out of control.
Kalmaar continued to make futile attempts to awaken Wojira with faux amulets along with some of the Maaray Guards. Glutinous explained that he needed more time, but Kalmaar yelled at him to try again. However, it failed, causing the following energy pulse to reveal Nya and Maya's location by making the former glow. Then, Kalmaar saw Nya and Maya, and began to shoot at them by using his trident. After seeing Nya using a water blast on the Maaray Guards after he powered down Maya's APS suit, he was surprised to find out that she was a Master of Water and soon resisted the water blast. He then knocked out Nya and took her and Maya as his hostages.
Kalmaar was listening to Nya and Maya telling each other about the Keepers and the Storm Amulet. He then ask for the Island of the Keepers' location from Nya but was by Gripe. Gripe told Kalmaar that King Trimaar needed him at Merlopia. He and Gripe then leave and return to the palace. He then arrived at the throne room and Trimaar asked Kalmaar if he was responsible for sinking the Hydro Bounty. Kalmaar then declined and his adoptive brother, Benthomaar agreed. Trimaar said that if he finds out if Kalmaar was lying, he will be mad. After Kalmaar left the throne room, he then told Gripe to make Nya and Maya tell him more about the Island of the Keepers.
Glutionus found Kalmaar and told him that the Hydro Bounty was working and didn't get destroyed. Kalmaar then started to think that the ninja were smarter than he thought. After the ninja told Trimaar about Wojira, Kalmaar interrupted. He then argued with Trimaar and said that with Wojira, they could destroy Ninjago and the rest of the surface. Enraged by Trimaar saying that he would not accept this and that he's his father and king, Kalmaar blasted him with his trident, fatally injuring him. He then cried for help and frameed the ninja of attacking Trimaar. Benthomaar ran in and asked Kalmaar if Trimaar was truly injured but Kalmaar told him it sadly is. Kalmaar said that Benthomaar should comfort Trimaar while Kalmaar then said that he will honor his legacy by getting rid of the ninja. He ordered Gripe to release the Ripper Sharks on the ninja. Gripe then came and saw Kalmaar, who declared himself as "King Kalmaar."
After Benthomaar told a group of Maaray Guards that Kalmaar was asking for them, Kalmaar told the group that Benthomaar is helping the ninja. He, Gripe, and the other Maaray Guards then follow the ninja through the city of Merlopia. They destroy part of Merlopia and follow the ninja, shooting torpedos at them. Benthomaar and the ninja block off part of the area, preventing Kalmaar and the others from advancing.
Glutinous came and told Kalmaar that he may have discovered the location of the Storm Amulet and says that the island is in the storm belt. Gripe said nothing was there but Kalmaar corrected him. Kalmaar, Gripe, and Maaray Guards travel to the Island of the Keepers and see the Hydro Bounty. When the ninja return with the fake Storm Amulet from Mammatus, the Merlopians ambush them in the Hydro Bounty. They ask for the Storm Amulet and Nya tells Jay to give it to them, despite Kalmaar knowing that the amulet was fake. He then destroyed the Hydro Bounty and headed to the Explorers Club.
After the Trial By Sphinx, Kai, Ray, Wu, Cole, and Misako go to a room where they meet Clutch Powers. Kalmaar and the other Merlopians broke down the wall and demanded the Storm Amulet from Clutch. Clutch gave it to Wu and him and Kalmaar fight. Kalmaar and Wu pushed each other back and continue fighting.
After Nelson and Antonia rode around Ninjago City mentioning events like Unagami's invasion and Aspheera, they see Kalmaar break out of the Explorers Club with the Storm Amulet. Kai started fighting him and the Storm Amulet rolled over to Antonia. After Antonia got away with the amulet, Kalmaar and the Maaray Guards chased to get it. Antonia and Nelson got cornered by them but they rode off a ramp. Kalmaar jumped down and got in a truck. He started chasing them but Kai jumped in with him. They drove off another ramp and fall in the sea. Kalmaar emerged and grabbed the Amulet, then asked Antonia if she was a ninja, an Elemental Master, a mystic, an Oni, a Serpentine, or a Vermillion, but Antonia said she is just a papergirl. Surprised by this, Kalmaar laughed at her, saying that he underestimated humans due to his encounter with her, and then dove into the sea and swam away.
At Ninjago Harbor, Kalmaar started imagining the fate of Ninjago once Wojira awakens until he was interrupted by Wu. However, he was able to capture him and the others after he overpowered them. When Kalmaar attempt to drown them, he realized that the other group managed to return to Ninjago to stop him. During the battle, Kalmaar battled Nya and Benthomaar until he decided to get away with the Storm Amulet. During the getaway, he tried to blast Nya with a torpedo, who managed to dodge it and take the Storm Amulet from him. Unbeknownst to Nya, she actually took the fake Storm Amulet from the Island of the Keepers while Kalmaar got away with the real one.
After Kalmaar awakens Wojira with the Storm and Wave Amulets, he takes control of her by using his trident then takes her to Ninjago City as his first act of destroying the surface world. Two days later, he and Wojira were able to get to Ninjago City and created a tsunami to flood the city.
Kalmaar started to do whatever damage he could do to Ninjago City by commanding Wojira. During his assault, he commanded Wojira to go after the Destiny's Bounty. He eventually was challenged by Nya and the two lunged into battle.
Kalmar started his battle with Nya until he was able to beat her, forcing Nya to retreat. While going after Nya, Kalmaar spoted the Destiny's Bounty and went after it, but soon realized that the ship was on auto pilot and send out a search party to look for the ninja.
During the search, Gripe informed Kalmaar that they found the Police Commissioner. When Kalmaar questioned the Police Commissioner where the ninja are, he threatened him with his trident until Wojira sensed something. Once Kalmaar realized that Wojira sensed Nya, he continued his battle with her.
During his reign and command over Wojira, he faced off against Nya. While fighting, he eventually ended up having to fight an enraged Jay due to the fact that he seemingly killed Nya in mid-battle. He soon blasted Jay off of Wojira's head, and later fought Benthomaar, who subsequently broke his trident, freeing Wojira from his control. Despite having his trident destroyed, Kalmaar attempted to take control of Wojira again, but the serpent instead threw him into the air and then swallowed him whole, killing him.
Kalmaar is a cruel person who has little regard for anyone except himself and his goals. He is willing to do whatever it takes to get what he wants, even going as far as to killing his own father to carry out his plans of awakening Wojira. Kalmaar heavily despises humans, and while the other Merlopians were happy to coexist with them, Kalmaar did everything in his power to commit mass genocide against humanity.
He is also quite manipulative and exploits off of others, as he uses his adopted brother, Benthomaar to pass through the poisonous vents to get to the Temple of Wojira. Afterwards, he shows no gratitude for his brother's assistance and instead insults Benthomaar by saying he will never see him as family, showing his cold-hearted nature.
While he is very arrogant, Kalmaar does not underestimate his enemies when they actually pose a threat to him. He also developed some degree of respect towards Antonia for being a "mere papergirl" who was able to keep the Storm Amulet away from him the longest. His arrogance adds to his short temper, as he is not tolerant of failure and will become incredibly angry if things do not go his way.
Kalmaar is shown to be very intelligent and seems to have knack for learning new things, specifically over the legends of Wojira. Despite this, Kalmaar does not seem to understand sarcasm, as shown when he exchanged remarks with Kai in a truck while fighting him.
Kalmaar has purple skin with a pink tinge. He has small tentacles around his mouth that resemble a short mustache. From the sides of his head, two skin formations emerge at the top, with five growths connected by translucent blue membranes. The same formation is also on the back of his head. He has fairly large green eyes with yellow irises and black reptilian pupils. In the sets, however, his eyes are blue with pink irises and blue pupils. He has a number of small sharp teeth in his mouth. His chest and abdomen are bright blue with marked abdominal muscles and he has five tentacles instead of legs. He wears an unbuttoned purple vest with pale pink and blue trim and two chest pockets. He also has a gold belt around his waist with several gold chains topped by a sharp formation. He has the same chains on his chest, as well as gold gloves. As king, he wore the golden crown of the king of Merlopia on his head.
As a teenager, his formations on his head were slightly smaller, as were the tentacles on his face. He did not have chains on his body at the time, although he had the same belt. The shirt he wore was fastened with a gold buckle and had sleeves with the same hem as the shirt he later rebuilt on his vest as he grew up. He also didn't have gloves.
Weapons and abilities
- Tentacles: Kalmaar has physically capable tentacles able to destroy Benthomaar's spear. He is also able to easily disarm his opponent using his tentacles as they act as a secondary pair of arms.
- Suction cups: Kalmaar has suction cups on his tentacles that allow him to stick onto walls and physical surfaces.
- Hand-to-hand combat: Kalmaar is able to perform hand-to-hand combat very well.
- Amphibious survival: Kalmaar is able to survive on both land and on water.
- Intelligence: Kalmaar is very intelligent, with his father even referring to him as "the scholar."
- Manta ray calling: By producing a sound using his mouth, he is able to call over manta rays.
- Trident: Kalmaar owns a powerful trident that is able to shoot powerful electrical bolts capable of murdering someone or injuring them.
Vehicles and Creatures
- Kalmaar's chariot
- Kalmaar rode it after he became king.
- It first appeared in "Escape from Merlopia."
- Manta rays
- Due to his hatred of humans, Kalmaar sought to awaken Wojira so he could use her to destroy Ninjago and the rest of the surface world.
- She first appeared in "The Keepers of the Amulet," albeit pictured.
- Main article: Kalmaar's relationships
- 168. "Five Thousand Fathoms Down"
- 169. "The Wrath of Kalmaar"
- 170. "Long Live the King"
- 171. "Escape from Merlopia"
- 172. "The Tale of Benthomaar" (flashback)
- 173. "The Storm Amulet"
- 174. "Riddle of the Sphinx"
- 175. "Papergirl"
- 176. "Master of the Sea"
- 177. "The Calm Before the Storm"
- 178. "Assault on Ninjago City"
- 179. "Nyad"
- 180. "The Turn of the Tide"
- 79. Sea Monsters!
- LEGO Brawls (non-canon)
In some languages, "kalmar" means squid. His name could also be a play on the word calamari, which is a type of squid dish. Nya also refers to Kalmaar as "Calamari".
Behind the scenes
- According to Bragi Schut, Kalmaar is one of Ninjago's worst villains.
- He also replied that Kalmaar will be tough to top for future Ninjago villains.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, Kalmaar is his favorite WildBrain villain. He also noted that his motivation is basically racism.
- Giles Panton, his voice actor, considers Kalmaar one of his "mains."
- His name is also similar to that of Tommy Kalmar, one of the crew members in charge of the franchise.
- His name is also similar to that of Kalmah, one of the Barraki warlords from BIONICLE.
- Interestingly, both characters are antagonists in their respective lines' ocean-themed storylines and have squid characteristics (Kalmaar is a humanoid squid; Kalmah had tentacles and used squid as weapons).
- His face resembles that of Gill-Man's from The Creature from the Black Lagoon.
- He is similar to the Squid Warrior from LEGO Atlantis, as they are both based on squid, have tentacles instead of legs, have mustache in the form of the tentacles, live underwater and use a trident as a weapon.
- He is also similar to Pythor:
- Both of them have purple as their main color scheme.
- They have a British accent.
- They both first appear in the fourth episode of the season where they serve as the main antagonist.
- They both wish to awaken a giant serpent: Wojira and the Great Devourer respectively.
- Coincidentally, both were devoured by the ones who they wished to re-awaken.
- However, Pythor awakened the Great Devourer in the penultimate episode, whereas Kalmaar awakened Wojira earlier.
- He is similar to Aspheera, as both were able to overthrow a person of a higher rank (Trimaar and Mambo V).
- He is also similar to Vangelis:
- They served as the evil member of their families.
- They brought back a creature that was known for terrorizing people: Wojira and Grief-Bringer.
- They tricked their own guards by telling tell them that the ninja were the enemies: the Maaray Guards and the Army of Shintaro.
- They both also have backstory about working together with some of the ninja's allies (Benthomaar and the Upply) to find something important (the Temple of Wojira and the Skull of Hazza D'ur), but later betray them after they found it.
- They seek glory for their kind, despite lying to them: the Merlopians and the Sky Folk.
- He is also similar to Scar from The Lion King, who wanted to overthrow his brother Mufasa and become king, but unlike him, Kalmaar is the older son of King Trimaar, and he kills him by injuring him.
- His motivations and colors appear to be a reference to the Aquaman villain Ocean Master/Orm Marius, due to him being the tyrant ruler of an undersea kingdom wanting to wage war on the surface and Orm primarily wears purple as Ocean Master.
- His name and the last name of Tommy Kalmar are homophones.
- While he has yellow-green eyes in the show, in the sets they are blue-pink. He also has gold armor in the sets.
- According to Michael Knap the reason for this is that "we did not have the option to make the eyes yellow and the tv show need more detail."
- His father, King Trimaar, has similar eyes in the show as Kalmaar in the sets.
- Because of this, his headpiece is technically more accurate to Trimaar than it is to him.
- Like Wojira, Kalmaar has several teal spots on his face on his minifigure that did not appear in the show.
- His minifigure's blue sections are more teal rather than in-show cyan.
- He is the second prince to appear in Ninjago, the first being Nadakhan.
- He is fourth main antagonist that doesn't appear in the first episode of their season, the first three being Pythor, the Preeminent, and Vangelis.
- He is the first character to kill a sapient character onscreen in a WildBrain episode.
- He is the first character to commit parricide (killing of a parent), as well as the first to commit regicide (killing of a king) onscreen.
- He speaks with a British accent.
- He is the tenth known king in Ninjago, the first nine being Pythor, Skales, Khanjikhan, Nadakhan (in an alternate timeline), Mambo V, Grimfax, Atta the Ratta, Vangelis and Trimaar.
- He is the third child of a monarch that is shown to succeed their parent, the first being Nadakhan (in an alternate timeline) and the second being Vania.
- He knows of Oni, Serpentine, and Vermillion.
- He knows how to drive, albeit poorly.
- He has received several nicknames from the ninja, like "Calamari" from Nya and "Tentacles" from Kai.
- Kalmaar's voice actor, Giles Panton, often replies to people on Twitter with mini-videos talking in the voice of Kalmaar.
- Kalmaar is the first main antagonist in the WildBrain era to appear in every episode of their season from their debut onwards.
- According to Giles Panton:
- Kalmaar is one of the eight main antagonists not currently known to be alive, the other six being Chen, Morro, the Preeminent, the Time Twins, Harumi, and the Omega.
- He is the fourth most frequently appearing main villain in a single wave, as he was released in up to three sets with exactly the same appearance. The first three are Garmadon, Vex and Unagami.
- Main article: Kalmaar/Gallery
- "The Tale of Benthomaar"
- "The Wrath of Kalmaar"
- "Long Live the King"
- "The Storm Amulet"
- "Five Thousand Fathoms Down"
- "The Turn of the Tide"