Kirby Robert Morrow (August 28, 1973 - November 18, 2020) was a Canadian voice actor. He was the voice actor for Cole, Cole's father Lou, Bizarro Cole, Mr. Pale, Gravis, as well as other various minor characters that appear in LEGO Ninjago.
His unexpected passing was announced by his brother, Casey Morrow, via Facebook on November 19, 2020. After two days, he said they "do not have any official news on what happened and won't for about a week or so," but he promised to inform all as soon as they can. In the LEGO Group's statement on Twitter, it was confirmed that he had finished his lines for the 2021 episodes, which will be dedicated to his memory. He died eight days later than his father, Tom Morrow. Many other people, who had previously worked with him, also honored him via Twitter and Instagram. Sam Vincent also wrote a song dedicated to him.
On November 30, 2020, it was revealed that Kirby Morrow passed away due to a "long history of alcohol addiction." The website also mentioned that he struggled with mental health, due to him not being happy if his fans aren't happy.
In early December 2020, Casey Morrow set up a scholarship fund to honor Kirby's legacy by providing opportunities for aspiring actors who otherwise may not have access to a performing arts education.
- His other voice acting roles included Van Fanel (The Vision of Escaflowne), Tommy Tukyuk (Yvon of the Yukon), Miroku (Inuyasha), Shirako Takamoto (Hot Wheels: Acceleracers), Trowa Barton (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing), Rad White (Transformers: Armada), Hotshot (Transformers: Cybertron), Goku (Dragon Ball Z, the Canadian dub), Teru Mikami (Death Note), and most notably Cyclops/Scott Summers (X-Men: Evolution), Michelangelo (Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation), Anakin Skywalker and General Grievous (LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales), Jay (Class of the Titans), and Jesus (At Jesus' Side).
- He studied theater at Calgary's Mount Royal University.
- Kirby Morrow has worked with Vincent Tong and Kelly Metzger before, with all three voicing characters in Death Note.
- When asked what he would prefer as Cole's last name, given the lack of surname for Cole, he jokingly said that he liked the name "Cole Steel."
- He disapproved of Cole's last name being Bucket.
- Kirby Morrow voiced three Elemental Masters in the series, these being Cole, Mr. Pale, and Gravis (Episode 37).
- He had wanted to become a lawyer ever since he was 13.
- He related to Kai and Jay the most.
- Kirby Morrow originally auditioned for the role of Jay (known as Ren at the time) before receiving the role of Cole.
- The only episode in the first ten seasons not to feature him was "The Last Resort," as Cole was trapped in the Djinn Blade at the time.
- After he sang as Cole in Sons of Garmadon, Kirby would not stop singing, to the extent that it annoyed his family.
- https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKNXGAjnDow/ (47:03)