Master of the Sea is the twelfth episode of the fourteenth season of Ninjago and the 176th episode overall. It aired on April 28, 2021, paired up with "Papergirl." It released in the US on November 19, 2021, alongside The Island and the rest of the episodes of Seabound.
Extended: Benthomaar tells Nya the tale of Nyad and how she defeated Wojira - at the same time back in Ninjago City, Master Wu, Kai, Cole, Ray and Misako attempt to keep Prince Kalmaar from making off with the Storm Amulet. Nya and the others arrive just in time to turn the tide of the battle and drive away Kalmaar and his forces to secure the Storm Amulet... or do they?
In the beginning, when the First Spinjitzu Master came to the realm of Ninjago. He sees the evil serpent, Wojira and that if life was going to blossom in Ninjago, she must be stopped. He eventually gathered the Keepers and Merlopians to fight against the sea serpent. But Wojira was too powerful, then Nyad, the first Elemental Master of Water came to battle and tried to take down Wojira but failed. She then merged with the ocean to stop Wojira, unfortunately in the process she could not revert back to her original form and disappeared. Then the First Spinjitzu Master, gave the Wave Amulet to the Merlopians, while he gave the Storm Amulet to the Keepers. And there was peace. Then the First Spinjitzu Master created Ninjago. After the story, Benthomaar goes over Kalmaar’s plan, and Lloyd hopes that the other Ninja have stopped Kalmaar from getting the Storm Amulet.
Next scene, Kalmaar with his guards is walking to his chariot. Kalmaar stops for a while to imagine Ninjago City under the waves. But Wu runs and kicks Kalmaar. The king tells his guards to attack the master, but Kai, Cole, Ray and Misako help him fight the Maaray Guards. They put up a good fight but fail and are captured. Kalmaar tells Gripe to drop the anchor in the water and drown the Ninja, after doing so, the Hydro Bounty appears. Kalmaar is shocked at this and a battle is ignited. Kalmaar and Nya face off in battle with Benthomaar jumping in to help. Kalmaar tries to use Benthomaar but fails and Benthomaar is struck in the back by Gripe. There, Kalmaar starts to retreat.
Benthomaar tells Nya to chase after him and does, chasing him on a whale, which Kai questions. A few minutes later, an explosion is made in the ocean. Nya comes out of the ocean, Benthomaar asks what had happened, and she tells him that Kalmaar got away but isn’t getting far without the Storm Amulet, the Ninja celebrate as they have saved Ninjago from evil once again. In the Monastery of Spinjitzu, Nya is showing Benthomaar around and asks if he would like to stay. Benthomaar is overjoyed and agrees. They come in the room to find the former and current masters of Fire playing Prime Empire saying tearful goodbyes, which Nya questions. She then meets her mom, who also has to leave.
In another room. Benthomaar and the rest of the Ninja were playing pool. Bentho asks where the Storm Amulet is at to which Lloyd tells him that they made friends in high places. It was decided that they hid the amulet at Shintaro Mountain. Cole, Vania and Hailmar watch as the amulet would be hidden forever. As the gates close, one of the parts fell off, showing that the amulet was the fake.
- Benthomaar - Cole Howard
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Gripe - Brian Drummond
- Hailmar - Brian Drummond
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Kalmaar - Giles Panton
- Lloyd - Sam Vincent
- Maya - Jillian Michaels
- Misako - Kathleen Barr
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- Ray - Vincent Tong
- Vania - Sabrina Pitre
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
- Nyad (flashback)
- First Spinjitzu Master (flashback)
- Maaray Guards
- Battle of Nine Days (flashback)
- Amulets of Wojira
- Prime Empire
- Harpoon guns
- Benthomaar's spear
- Benthomaar's arrows
- Endless Sea
- Island of the Keepers (mentioned)
- Shintaran Ridgebacks
- Giant spiders
- Sky Folk
- Manta rays
- Dolphins (flashback)
- Islanders (flashback)
- Oni/Dragon/Human hybrids
- Sea serpents (flashback)
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- Narrator: Nya
- In the Japanese version of the episode, the narrator is Benthomaar instead of Nya.
- The title of this episode is very similar to the title of Season 13.
- During April 2021, Tommy Andreasen changed his Twitter name to "Ninja! What does that even mean?" for a brief period as a way of hinting at one of Kalmaar's lines in this episode.
- According to Bragi Schut, the dialogue where Kalmaar says he's leaving with the amulet is "some classic [Chris Wyatt] and [Kevin Burke] humor!"
- This episode marks the first appearance of Vania, Hailmar, Korgran, Fungus, Plundar, Adam, Murtessa, Gulch, Chompy, and Shintaro Mountain since "The Son of Lilly."
- This is the first time the ninja are shown to play billiard located in the relaxation room in the monastery.
- When fighting the Merlopians on the Hydro Bounty, Zane can be seen wearing his Armor gi.
- In the same scene after he and P.I.X.A.L. flip over the Hydro Bounty for a split second P.I.X.A.L. completely disappears.
- Vania is still credited as a princess, although she became a queen in "The Son of Lilly."
- When Jay runs to the Hydro Bounty's railing to find out what's wrong with Nya, Wu holds his staff. However, when Nya emerges from the sea, the staff disappears.
For the gallery of the episode, click here.