|“I'm not your sister, son.”|
|— Maya to Kai in "Pause and Effect"|
Maya is the former Elemental Master of Water, the wife of Ray, and the mother of Kai and Nya, the latter of whom would inherit her abilities. Maya fought alongside the other Elemental Masters and her husband in the Serpentine War. Eventually, the Serpentine were sealed away in various tombs. She sealed the Venomari away in the Toxic Bogs.
Following the War, Krux and Acronix, the two Elemental Masters of Time, betrayed the Elemental Alliance. Ray and Maya would fight the two along with the other masters, but they would fail to defeat them. However, Wu manages to get an idea and asks Ray and Maya to fulfill an important duty. With their skills of blacksmithing and their powers over Fire and Water, Ray and Maya managed to forge four blades out of Chronosteel, with the blades later becoming the Time Blades. After forging the final blade, the work completely exhausted them. Because of this, they didn't participate in the battle with Krux and Acronix at the Monastery of Spinjitzu.
After Wu and Garmadon managed to defeat Krux and Acronix and use the Time Blades to strip the two of their powers, they would lose the blades into a temporal vortex created by the blades, but Krux and Acronix would follow the blades, with Acronix being lost in time while Krux would remain in Ninjago, where he would ultimately start his forty-year plan for revenge. Between this time, Ray and Maya would have two kids, a son named Kai and a daughter named Nya, both of whom inherit the powers of their parents.
In the meantime, Krux would gain a false identity and work at the Ninjago Museum of History, where he would become Dr. Sander Saunders. Krux would befriend Ray and Maya until the day he revealed his identity, holding them at sword point. Saying that if they didn't work for him in creating vehicles, armor, and weapons for his army, Krux would harm Kai and Nya. With no other choice, the two were forced to work under Krux, residing in a blacksmith shop in the Vermillion Swamps, where he and his wife would create thousands of pieces of armor, vehicles, and weapons for the Vermillion. She would also design the outer shell of the Iron Doom, Krux's ultimate weapon.
Ray and his wife were reunited with their children, who learned their parents were forced to into servitude by Krux, who threaten to harm them should their parents disobey him. Ray and his wife made amends with their children, happy to see them after so long but they realized their children were in danger due to them possessing the powers to find the Time Blades, which the Time Twins exploited. Kai and Nya were now forced to help the Time Twins collect the Time blades otherwise they would harm their parents, though Maya and Ray told them to forget about them but were taken as hostages used as leverage to make sure the two Ninja cooperated.
- 1 History
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Gallery
- 5 References
As the Elemental Master of Water, Maya was a member of the alliance of the Elemental Masters during the Serpentine War. She fought along several other powerful masters to fend off the Serpentine attacking Jamanakai Village though she was forced to retreat when the Anacondrai arrived.
Maya later marched into battle with the alliance against the Anacondrai in Birchwood Forest, but due to Chen's manipulation, the Masters turned against each other and the battle was lost. Eventually, she helped win the war by using a Sacred Flute to lock the Venomari into a tomb in the Toxic Bogs.
Maya later married Ray and had two children; Kai and Nya, the latter of whom gained her power of Water. Maya and her family settled in Ignacia, where they made a living at the Four Weapons Blacksmith. They befriended a bumbling museum curator, Dr. Saunders, who later revealed himself to be Krux, who had managed to escape the time vortex. Maya and her husband were forcefully ordered by Krux to make weapons, vehicles, and armor for his Vermillion army, lest he harm Kai and Nya.
Following an adventure on the Dark Island, Wu had a vision of Maya and her husband in the present, apparently being forced to forge something in a shadowy pit, which is later revealed to be working for Krux.
The Hatching (flashback)
Wu told the Ninja about the Time Twins, starting with the Serpentine War and how the Elemental Masters fought back the Serpentine. Shortly after winning the War, the two Masters of Time betrayed the Alliance, leaving them with no choice but to fight back. Overpowered, Ray and Maya forged four Time Blades for the other Masters to use during their next encounter.
A Time of Traitors (flashback)
Kai remembers Ray and Maya introducing him to his newborn sister.
Maya was able to get Kai to stop fighting Ray. Ray explained that since they made the Time Blades, Krux kidnapped them and forced them to work for them or he'll hurt Kai and Nya.
When Nya realized the pause they felt earlier may be the third Time Blade, Ray told them he and Maya hid the fourth one in the Boiling Sea and that only Fire and Water combined could get it. They realized the twins could force them to obtain it for them, but they couldn't leave on time.
Maya tells Kai and Nya that retrieving the Time Blade in the Boiling Sea would be difficult.
When they returned, the twins prevented them from saving Wu. They used the Pause Time Blade on them. They start to plummet into the Boiling Sea until Kai and Nya used the Fusion Dragon.
They arrive close to the Iron Doom, but since they need speed, she grabs Ray and they both jump off.
After Kai, Nya, and Wu followed the twins, Maya introduced Ray and herself as Kai and Nya's parents. There is nothing they can do but wait for their return.
Eventually, they start to notice the city has no technology and that Zane has gone back to his original state.
When technology returned, Ray was getting older. Maya helped support him and told the team that not everything is fixed. She was relieved when Kai and Nya came back and heal him.
Sometime After Season 7
With the Time Twins defeated, Maya and her husband were finally free of their forced servitude and went off somewhere, and have presumably been there since.
- Maya's name is similar to "Aya", Nya's original name in the early stages of the series.
- The name Maya means "water" in Arabic, which makes sense considering what element she formerly controlled.
- Maya, in the present, actually looks younger than she did during the Serpentine Wars, lacking the visible cheekbones.
- There is no in-universe reason for this change, simply being a poor design choice. It can be assumed that she was redesigned to match her Minifigure.
- She still had her original appearance when Krux betrayed her and Ray as seen in "Pause and Effect," which took place around a decade and a half ago. This means Maya had her original appearance for the majority of the time between the Serpentine War and the present, for around two and a half decades.
- One of the citizens of Stiix looks very similar to past Maya, only having a different hair and eyebrow color and different lips.
- In the present day, she has the same face design as Jay's Mother.
- Maya is an unlockable character in The LEGO Ninjago Movie Videogame. Her blind bag can be found in the level "The Lost City of Generals."
- She shares the same necklace as Nya and Delara.
- She is voiced by Jillian Michaels, who voiced two other mothers in the series: Edna, the mother of Jay, and Selma, the mother of Skales Jr.
- Furthermore, Jillian Michaels voices two Elemental Masters, these being Maya and Lloyd.
- On January 24th, 2020, Jillian Michaels announced on Instagram that she will be returning to voice Maya in a future Ninjago installment. It is unknown which season or year she is referring to, however.
- After Season 7, Ray and Maya likely went on vacation or returned to Four Weapons Blacksmith.
- "Pause and Effect"
- Kai and Nya are in their late teens at the time of Season 7 and were very young (3 and 5) when their parents disappeared.