- You may be looking for a series of shorts.
Ninjago: Core is a subtheme of Ninjago devoted to introducing young children into Ninjago by reimagining old concepts. The first wave was released in winter 2022 (January 1, 2022, in most countries). In 2022, shorts called The Virtues of Spinjitzu reusing some concepts of this subtheme were also released.
These sets do not have an official mascot, but Wu is featured on most of the boxes even though he only appears in only one of them. Seven banners are the collectible items. The set backgrounds are in a cartoonish style, and it seems like they resemble the Mountains of Impossible Height.
- 71757 Lloyd's Ninja Mech
- 71760 Jay's Thunder Dragon EVO
- 71761 Zane's Power Up Mech EVO
- 71762 Kai's Fire Dragon EVO
- 71763 Lloyd's Race Car EVO
- 71764 Ninja Training Center
- 71765 Ninja Ultra Combo Mech
- 71766 Lloyd's Legendary Dragon
- 71767 Ninja Dojo Temple
- 71776 Jay and Nya's Race Car EVO
- 70688 Kai's Spinjitzu Ninja Training
- 70689 Lloyd's Spinjitzu Ninja Training
- 70690 Jay's Spinjitzu Ninja Training
- This subtheme is similar to Ninjago: Legacy, as both are recreating older sets in some way, the difference being that Core does so in a way that is only inspired by the original set and recreates it in a new way with new characters and vehicles, while Legacy is quite faithful to the original and is based on the TV show.
- Both subthemes have a series of shorts featuring the sets. Tommy Andreasen has also stated that, "while it was not a ‘must’ request, we DID make sure that some of these actually make it into the main canon storyline of Ninjago 2022." This is similar to how the Monastery of Spinjitzu (70670 Monastery of Spinjitzu) and Earth Driller (70669 Cole's Earth Driller) were featured in March of the Oni.
- This is the third Ninjago subtheme, the first two being The LEGO Ninjago Movie and Ninjago: Legacy.
- Several sets have EVO in the title. These sets can be "leveled up" by adding additional parts included in the set. These additions are shown on the box-art of each set except for 71776 Jay and Nya's Race Car EVO.
- According to Niek van Slagmaat, "After the specialized launches like Prime Empire and Seabound, the markets asked for a wave with the classic Ninjago identity. We would not get any story continuing content in order to make sure we could get started on 2HY 2022 as early as possible. Thus, Core was born. On top of all that, there was an ask to make sure this line helped recruit younger kids into Ninjago. Between our 4+ and our usual 7+ and up sets, there was a gap. We wanted to have a number of 6+ sets to fill that gap. In order to ensure an appropriate building experience for the 6+ agemark we started a lot of model and element concepts to explore the 3 cornerstones of Ninjago: Vehicles, dragons and mechs."
- When asked if it will be canon to the TV show, Niek van Slagmaat replied that "The short answer is not directly. There will be several shorts featuring some of the models from this wave, but they will not pick up [where Seabound left things.]"
- The designs of the ninja, Wu, and the Dojo Temple were previously seen in Journey to Mastery in 2021.