The informative featured video at the top of the article is provided by the host's Featured Video team and not the editors of this wiki. It may not accurately represent the article and contradict info on the wiki itself, so it should not be taken at face value. Info may become outdated over time.
|Nya||Nya (The LEGO Ninjago Movie)|
|“There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of them. But as long as I have my power, and breath in my body, I'm going to protect you. And you are going to defeat your father. Because what else is there for us to do? Give up? I don't give up.”|
|— Nya to Lloyd in "Firstbourne"|
Nya is the current Elemental Master and Ninja of Water, Kai's sister, and Ray and Maya's daughter. Upon meeting Wu, Nya and Kai joined him in his quest to protect Ninjago. As her brother trained to be a ninja, Nya grew tired of being left out from the team and created the identity of Samurai X. During this time, Jay began to start a relationship with Nya. She helped fight the Serpentine and later the Stone Army, who corrupted her using Dark Matter. After the Overlord's defeat, Nya was purified but faced new problems when a love triangle formed between her, Jay, and Cole.
After Zane's apparent demise, Nya and Dareth journeyed to Chen's Island, joining the ninja to save the restored Zane and fight Chen's army. Following the conflict, Wu trained Nya to harness her element of water. Though her training troubled her at first, she unlocked her True Potential and destroyed the Preeminent. Consequently, Nadakhan freed his crew of pirates and wreaked havoc on Ninjago. After being captured by Nadakhan, Nya was accidentally poisoned and died, but she survived due to Jay's final wish as it undid recent events. On the Day of the Departed, Nya and Kai battled and defeated Chen, who was accidentally revived by Cole.
Nya and the ninja went on to battle the Time Twins and their army of Vermillion. After being faced with a new Samurai X, Nya and Kai discovered that their mother and father were still alive. The family reunited, and Nya and her brother helped Wu fight and defeat the Time Twins—though Wu was lost to time.
After Wu and the original ninja were seemingly killed, she, Lloyd, Misako, P.I.X.A.L., Dareth, and most of the Elemental Masters were left to resist Garmadon's oppressive reign over Ninjago. When the Wu and the others returned, they reunited and defeated the Colossus while Lloyd faced and defeated his father again. Peace returned briefly until the Oni invaded and Nya along with her friends had to evacuate the city. She experienced guilt for unintentionally leaving Cole behind, but got the idea to forge the Golden Weapons to defeat the threat. At the monastery, she and her friends fought the Oni along with Wu, Garmadon, and Cole who returned to help. During the climax of the fight, Nya accepted Jay's Yin-Yang Promise before they all used the Tornado of Creation to vanquish the enemy.
Months later, Nya and her friends fight against Aspheera and her Pyro Vipers after accidentally releasing them from their tomb. After Zane is banished by Aspheera's sorcery, she and the remaining ninja send themselves to the Never-Realm to rescue him. Nya struggles when she is unable to use her powers, due to the realm's extreme winter freezing all water, but is mentored by an elder of the village they've taken shelter in, Sorla, to learn how to control ice, before the village is frozen by Boreal. Nya uses her new skill to briefly knock out the Ice Dragon and discovers that Zane is the Ice Emperor. After Kai uses his restored Fire elemental power to finish the dragon off, they reunite with Lloyd and Zane, whom Vex inadvertently managed to return to normal, and use Traveler's Tea to head back to their home realm.
Sometime later, Nya and the other ninja enter the virtual world of Prime Empire, when the legendary arcade game resurfaces and hundreds of gamers are zapped into it. Nya and Jay participate in a dance competition to gain points to participate in a race called the Speedway Five-Billion and win. She, Jay, and Lloyd survive the Speedway and keep moving on without Kai or Cole as they both got cubed. Lloyd is eventually cubed in a fight with Avatar Harumi, and Nya and Jay move on to the Temple of Madness. They make it through, however Sushimi, barely alive, he throws a malice at Nya, killing her. Jay moves on alone and eventually convinces Unagami to free everyone previously trapped in the game, including Nya. They embrace upon seeing each other.
After the Prime Empire events, Nya, Wu, and and the other ninja get an invitation to visit Shintaro. When the ninja notice that Cole and Vania are gone, they go underground but get captured by Vangelis' skeleton army. Shortly after, Nya, Lloyd, and Jay escape with Murt to encounter Murtessa, the queen of the Munce. She and Nya fight in the Munce Arena to claim Jay, and Nya wins and becomes the new queen. At the battle of the Dungeons of Shintaro, Nya makes the Geckles and Munce work together to defeat the Grief-Bringer.
- 1 History
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Age
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Personality
- 6 Weapons and Abilities
- 7 Vehicles
- 8 LEGO.com descriptions
- 9 Appearances
- 9.1 Sets
- 9.2 LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
- 9.2.1 Pilot episodes
- 9.2.2 Mini-movies
- 9.2.3 Season 1: Rise of the Snakes
- 9.2.4 Season 2: Legacy of the Green Ninja
- 9.2.5 Season 3: Rebooted
- 9.2.6 Season 4: Tournament of Elements
- 9.2.7 Season 5: Possession
- 9.2.8 Season 6: Skybound
- 9.2.9 Day of the Departed
- 9.2.10 Season 7: The Hands of Time
- 9.2.11 Season 8: Sons of Garmadon
- 9.2.12 Season 9: Hunted
- 9.2.13 Tales from the Monastery of Spinjitzu
- 9.2.14 Season 10: March of the Oni
- 9.2.15 Season 11: Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu
- 9.2.16 Prime Empire Original Shorts
- 9.2.17 Season 12: Prime Empire
- 9.2.18 Season 13: Master of the Mountain
- 9.2.19 The Island
- 9.3 Books
- 9.4 Plays
- 9.5 Video games
- 10 Behind the scenes
- 11 Trivia
- 12 Videos
- 13 Gallery
- 14 References
- Main article: Nya/History
Nya has long black hair kept in a ponytail, pale pink lipstick, and small dimples on her cheeks. She has a beauty mark on her right cheek. When in casual wear seen in "The Mask of Deception" and "The Explorers Club", she has a leather jacket over a white shirt with blue stripes and dark blue jeans. The color of her ponytail scrunchies changes often. For a majority of Seasons 8, 9, and 11, it was black (or gray), for her fisherman disguise in Season 9, it was yellow, for her kimono in episode 95, it was dark blue, and with her Season 10 suit, it was light blue.
Prior to Season 8, she had short black hair fashioned in a bob cut and red lipstick. Her lipstick changed to pale pink in Season 6 and her eyebrows changed slightly in Season 7. Her eyelashes were represented with three small dashes before Season 8, but as of Season 8 she has single-line eyelashes almost identical to Skylor's. She typically wore casual clothing in various shades of red and gold with a gold phoenix as her symbol. In the show, she wore a large golden bracelet with a red jewel on her left arm which doubled as her communicator. On her alternate face print primarily seen in the Ninjago Spinners game, she has a red bandanna tied around the lower half of her face. Her original face prints also had red eyeshadow that was never present in the show but would sometimes appear in other media, including various points in the Dark Island Trilogy.
When corrupted by Dark Matter in the final few episodes of Season 2: Legacy of the Green Ninja, her skin and outfit were all grey and her eyes were purple.
As Samurai X, she has a gunmetal samurai helmet, with a bucket handle piece on top in the place of horns and a red face mask. She also has gunmetal samurai shoulder pads with a red armor suit underneath. In the show, she wears a pair of goggles over her eyes and her bracelet on her right arm.
During the battle against the Golden Master, her Samurai X armor became silver as did some of the stitching of her attire. During her time on Chen's island, she gained a Kabuki disguise from Dareth, which she incorporated into her next and final Samurai X suit: a black armored, red, and green suit with her gold phoenix symbol enlarged in the middle of her torso.
In "Endings," Nya wears half of the Yin-Yang Medallion on her chest that Jay offered to her.
In an anime-styled scenes of "The Absolute Worst," Nya is shown to have gray eyes.
In the Prime Empire short, "Let's Dance," she wears a pink yukata and light gray scrunchy.
Like the majority of her fellow Ninja, Nya is in her late teens. She is two years younger than her brother, Kai. However, the ninja do not officially have specific ages, as they are meant to be perpetually in their teenage years for the duration of the show.
Potential Estimations: During the events of the pilot and Season 1, she was at least 13 or 14 years of age. As the most recent events take place three to four years after the events of Season 2, she is most likely around 17.
- Main article: Nya's relationships
Although she was not trained as a ninja early on, she is very capable of defending herself. She doesn't like the fact that so much focus is put on the ninja, so she resolved to become a hero in her own way, which she did by becoming Samurai X, and is highly independent, desiring the choice and ability to choose her own identity and destiny. Sometimes, she gets annoyed by Kai's protectiveness, but their bond as siblings is very strong. Many episodes reveal she is highly intelligent, as she was able to create the Samurai armor and several types of technology, and she was able to pinpoint the location of Serpentine tombs. It seemed that Nya was aware of Jay's crush on her very early on, such as when she nodded to Jay's offer to walk to the junkyard in "Snakebit," and by "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", she revealed that she returned his feelings.
Nya's weakness is her unwillingness to fail. Being good at so much, when she finds herself in a position to fail, she is quick to give up. Likewise, she's insecure and sensitive about her own personal identity, either as Samurai X or her own role amongst the ninja team, and is conflicted over being told her destiny.
Apart from wanting to choose her own path, Nya does not feel the need to be well-known for her accomplishments and skills as long as she knows she's doing the right thing. For example, Nya did not reveal her identity as Samurai X even when the ninja admitted they were no match for the samurai.
Weapons and Abilities
Despite a lack of formal ninja training, Nya is a competent fighter, wielding a bo staff against the Skulkin when they attacked the blacksmith shop. Thanks to her background as a blacksmith, she has a talent for engineering and operating machinery, building her Samurai X gear and the Samurai Mech in her spare time without any of the others noticing and modifying the Ultra Sonic Raider to give it a flight mode. Nya also helped Dr. Julien construct the Fire Mech and the Earth Driller. She is a skilled pilot, being the de facto operator of the Destiny's Bounty and the Samurai Mech.
After being corrupted by Dark Matter, Nya displays the ability to perform Spinjitzu, creating a crimson energy tornado that can knock the ninja around. She wields a spiked flail and sharp throwing needles in combat, and the evil suffusing her being made her completely ruthless as well as completely willing to destroy her former allies.
When Nya became the Water Ninja, her fighting skills have increased. In Season 5, she unlocked the Elemental Power of Water, allowing her to perform hydrokinesis. Nya soon drowned The Preeminent, saving the city of Stiix. She also held her own against Dogshank. Nya can produce water from moisture in the air, however, it'll simply evaporate in extremely high temperatures such as the Desert of Doom or freeze up in extreme cold temperatures, like the Never-Realm during The Eternal Winter.
She can create and control water and use it for offense and defense attacks. From Season 6 onward, Nya can perform Airjitzu, along with the other ninja. Nya wields a Katana as her primary weapon and can also do hand-to-hand combat. Finally, Nya's Spinjitzu tornado (without being corrupted by Dark Matter) is now a dark blue/silver tornado, matching her element instead of the original crimson tornado. As of Season 8, Nya uses a spear as her primary weapon.
- Elemental Water Dragon
- She could summon it at will when she conquered her fears.
- It first appeared in "Infamous".
- Nya's bike
- Proto Sam-X
- Samurai VXL
- Ninja Tuner Car
- Nya's speedboat
- She used it when she was Samurai X.
- It never appeared in the TV series.
Behind the scenes
- In Season 6, her lipstick changed to pink, whereas all seasons before had her lipstick in cherry red.
- At San Diego Comic-Con 2016, it was confirmed Nya's original name was going to be "Aya" and she was going to be the Master of Air, however, she was later renamed to Nya and became the Master of Water.
- Other names included Nia with an "I" and Aura.
- Her name means "purpose" in Gaelic and Swahili.
- In 2018 sets, she used her movie counterpart's double-sided head with one confident and one determined expression, but starting in 2019 she used a version where the happy expression previously exclusive to 70607 Ninjago City Chase replaced the determined expression.
- Kelly Metzger, the voice of Nya, referred to Samurai X as "The Robo-Samurai."
- According to Tommy Andreasen, there's something big planned for Nya in the future.
- Her Avatar form is shown using a Spear Gun in a LEGO set, 71708 Gamer's Market. This technically makes her the first ninja to use a gun, however it is not seen in the show.
- Despite having an Avatar minifigure for Prime Empire, it never appeared in the actual season.
- Despite wearing her outfit from the pilot all throughout the first two seasons, it only appears in three sets from 2011.
- Nya's destiny as the Water Ninja was foreshadowed by LEGO.com in early 2015, saying "she chooses the flow of her life herself. Maybe when more water has gone under the bridge she will become a ninja. Time will tell..."
- Kai and Nya's last name was considered to be "Smith" behind the scenes, but this is not necessarily canon to the show. This is also what they were called in the 2014 blooper reel.
- Tommy Andreasen wanted Nya to take control of Boreal with her powers in "Awakenings" instead of crushing it with ice. However, there were too many moments in the episode, so the scene had to be cut.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, we will see more of relationship between Nya and Jay in 2021 than in previous years.
- Her blue kimono from "The Darkness Comes" is the same as her original red kimono, but in a different color and with sleeves.
- The original kimono also lacks breast lines, which means that Nya has grown up over time. However, these lines are present on this variant in minifigure form.
- Her phoenix symbol may represent her "reincarnation" from Samurai X into the Water Ninja.
- The fancy outfit she wears in "Once Bitten, Twice Shy," "All of Nothing," and "Double Trouble" comes from Willie Scott's red dress (with some alterations) from LEGO's Indiana Jones theme.
The Trivia on Nya needs to be organized.
- In "Weapons of Destiny," she stated that her favorite color is blue.
- In "Peak-a-Boo", Nya responded "It's my favorite color" when Kai told her that the color of her gi suited her well. However, it is unclear whether she was referring to the partial blue coloring or the main maroon coloring, though she was looking at her maroon sleeve when she said it.
- In "Once Bitten, Twice Shy," she says she is allergic to perfume, however, her dressing table, in fact, has perfume bottles sitting around.
- This could've been either a mistake in the scene or bottles of hypo-allergenic perfume.
- Symptoms of her allergy include involuntary blushing; should it enter her bloodstream, she'll go into shock.
- Nya is the Elemental Master who has been shown to control the most physical matter at once, that being the tidal wave she controlled upon reaching her True Potential in "Curseworld, Part II."
- There were a number of early indicator of Nya's identity as Samurai X:
- The Samurai X minifigure had two face prints depicting Nya.
- In the show, Samurai X wore Nya's bracelet, yet the ninja didn't notice this detail.
- In the 2012 LEGO.com description for Nya, she is wearing her Samurai X clothes.
- Ironically, Jay seemed to hate the Samurai the most, even though he actually had a crush on Nya. He later accepts the truth calmly after he and Nya reveal their feelings for one another and he discovers her identity.
- She is the only ninja who has never been dependent on Lloyd in order to harness her Elemental Power. This is due to Lloyd not sharing his Golden Power with her, since Water is not one of the elements of Creation as the other ninja's elements are, and Nya only discovered her power in Season 5. However, as of Season 8, the other ninja's powers work independently from Lloyd's as well.
- Nya and Lloyd were also the only ninja to be able to control their Element well before unlocking their true potential.
- Considering the Elements the other ninja share, Nya and her Element share a very profound effect on them: she tends to quell the fire in Kai's spirit, she has a sparking relationship with Jay, she can erode Cole's hard-headed personality to reveal his soft side, she shares many interests with Zane, and she is powerful like Lloyd.
- Nya is the only ninja to have two selections of theme music. As Samurai X, she had her own theme music, and now, whenever she uses her water powers, a variation of the music that played as she unlocked her true potential plays.
- Ironically, before her element was revealed, she was associated with Fire, an element considered to be the opposite of Water.
- She is the second ninja to be possessed by a spirit, the first being Lloyd.
- Despite dying in an alternate timeline, she is the only ninja to not have been thought to be dead, as the other ninja were thought to be dead in several episodes.
- Alongside the Preeminent, Nya has arguably caused more deaths than any character in the entire series, as destroying the Preeminent killed nearly all of the Ghost Warriors and Anacondrai warriors; and in turn, started off the destruction of Djinjago, killing all but one of the Djinn as well.
- However, she had to do this to save the lives of everyone in Ninjago and possibly all the other realms as well.
- Nya is currently the last ninja to unlock her True Potential and learn Spinjitzu and Airjitzu.
- She was also the last of the ninja to create an Elemental Dragon.
- It's confirmed that after becoming the Water Ninja, she learned Spinjitzu between Skybound and "Day of the Departed," and the latter revealed her Spinjitzu to be a deep blue tornado.
- This means that she learned Airjitzu before she learned Spinjitzu, unlike the other five ninja.
- Her Spinjitzu would have naturally been red if she learned it before becoming in touch with her Water powers, as seen when she was corrupted by Dark Matter in "Return of the Overlord". This color is also seen in The Tournament of Elements intro, though it's non-canon seeing as she learned Spinjitzu later.
- She is the first and currently the only female ninja on the ninja team.
- Although Kai invited Skylor to join their team before Nya did, and even though she has ninja-like abilities, she never technically joined the team. Therefore, Nya still remains as the only female ninja in the team.
- In Season 8, Nya has a new hairstyle and a mole, similar to that of her Ninjago Movie counterpart.
- From Season 8 to Season 9, Nya's main color was gun-metal gray. In Season 10 and in the Legacy sets, however, she has switched back to her original maroon but has gone back to gray (with medium azure as a secondary color) for Season 11 onward.
- She didn't think too highly of the royal family and was rather tense around them until Harumi praised her and stated she wanted to be like her. This caused Nya to state she liked the princess.
- Nya has been captured by nearly all the villainous factions at some point.
- She was captured by the Skulkin in "Way of the Ninja," and was freed in "King of Shadows."
- She was captured off-screen by the Serpentine in The Snake King, and escaped later in the episode.
- She was captured by the Serpentine in "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" and was freed by Jay later in the episode.
- She was captured again by the Serpentine in "All of Nothing" and was freed by Lloyd later in the episode.
- She was captured by the Stone Army in "The Last Hope," and freed in "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master."
- She was shot down and briefly captured by General Cryptor in "The Titanium Ninja" but escaped later in the episode.
- She was captured by the Anacondrai warriors in "The Forgotten Element," and was freed later that episode.
- She was briefly captured by Morro and the Ghost Warriors during "Curseworld, Part I."
- She was captured by the Sky Pirates in "Wishmasters" and escaped later that episode.
- She was captured by the Sky Pirates once again in "The Last Resort," and was freed in "The Way Back."
- She was captured by the Vermillion in "Pause and Effect," and was freed in "Out of the Fire and Into the Boiling Sea."
- She was captured by the Sons of Garmadon in "The Quiet One," and was freed in "Game of Masks."
- She was captured by the Pyro Vipers in "Boobytraps and How to Survive Them," but escaped in "Ninja vs Lava."
- She was captured by Unagami's army in "The Temple of Madness" and was freed in "Game Over."
- She was captured by the Awakened Warriors in "The Worst Rescue Ever," but escaped in "The Two Blades."
- She was captured again by the Awakened Warriors in "The Darkest Hour" and was freed by Plundar in "The Upply Strike Back!."
- So far, the only seasons in which she was not captured was Season 9 by the Dragon Hunters, because she protected Lloyd, in Season 10: March of the Oni by the Oni, in the Ice Chapter of Season 11 by the Blizzard Samurai because she didn't go with Lloyd.
- So far she has been captured sixteen times, more than any of the other ninja.
- After being forced into Nadakhan's mother's wedding dress, Nya remarked she hated dresses. While this may seem like an error, as she had worn formal outfits in the past, it was later confirmed by Zane in "Legacy" that none of these were specifically dresses, as Zane said, "I have never seen you in a dress before."
- In "An Unlikely Ally" Nya can't seem to control her powers without a source of water nearby—this is touched upon as the water in the Never-Realm is frozen. It is unclear as to why she needs water, as the other ninja are simply able to use their powers freely.
- However, Tommy Andreasen has said that she can still summon water, and she just chooses not to. He used the analogy of not wanting to run everywhere when he could walk, meaning that Nya finds it easier to use existing water than summoning it.
- In "Let's Dance," it is revealed that Nya has always wanted to take dance lessons.
- The color of her hairband depends on her clothing.
- In Seasons 8 and 9, and 11 onward she wears a gray hairband with her grey ninja suit and yukata in "Let's Dance." In Season 10, Nya wears a cyan hairband with her maroon ninja suit.
- She also wears a yellow hairband while she was in hiding during Season 9.
- She is the only person on the team who does not have any of the suits previous to the Deepstone Suits, though designs for them were created for a game on the Wu-Cru site.
- This is due to her not being a ninja prior to Season 5.
- When asked why Nya has never said "I love you" to Jay, Tommy Andreasen said "I guess she doesn’t express herself in that way. She didn’t have the easiest of child hoods."
- It has been stated that Nya's bracelet's only purpose was activating her Samurai Mech, but it also doubled as a communicator, as seen in "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" and "Misfortune Rising", and a tracker, as seen in "Public Enemy Number One". This is likely why she still wore it up until "Day of the Departed" even though she had since become a ninja and no longer used the mech.
- There also appear to be multiple versions of the bracelet, as one of the ninja placed one on a rat to divert attention from themselves in "Public Enemy Number One" but Nya wore hers in the next scene, and all of the ninja besides Cole and Lloyd wore recolored versions of the bracelet in "Misfortune Rising".
- Nya's original phoenix symbol is present at the Phoenix Temple in Legends of Chima. It's unknown if this is a meaningless Easter egg or a hint at a deeper connection.
- When asked about Nya and Cole's apparent feelings for each other, Tommy Andreasen stated "...she was more mislead by doubt and curiosity. She and Jay are meant for each other."
- If she had a dragon as the original four ninja did, it may have been named "Flow".
- Nya is responsible for possibly creating the most vehicles and technology utilized by the heroes throughout the series, including the Samurai X suit and Samurai Mech, Fire Mech, Earth Driller (with Dr. Julien), Samurai X Cave, Proto Sam-X, D.B. Express and Auto, Ice Mech, Kai's bike and Nya's bike, Samurai VXL, Zane's bike, and Battle Wagon (with Skylor).
- Nya states in "Wishmasters" that she "Never had much of a sweet tooth," though she is seen eating ice cream as a child in a brief flashback vision in "Curseworld, Part II."
- Despite their similar appearances, Nya and Delara are not related.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, it is possible that when Ray and Maya disappeared, Kai and Nya were cared for by their friendly neighbors, whom Wu asked for.
- According to Dan and Kevin Hageman, if Nadakhan saw Nya's current appearance, he would still recognize her as Delara.
- Nya is the only ninja not to have an individual "Previously on Ninjago" opening shot. She and Kai were both in the shot for The Hands of Time, though Kai and the other four ninja all had at least one season opening shot before Season 11, when the intro sequence changed.
- Main article: Nya/Gallery
- "My Dinner With Nadakhan"
- "Lost in Time"
- "The Cliffs of Hysteria"
- "Queen of the Munce"
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeywvIyBQwI (link unavailable)