- Not to be confused with the character.
|Season 14, Episode 15|
|Air date||April 30, 2021 (UK)|
May 23, 2021 (Canada)
|Written by||Bragi Schut|
|Directed by||Daniel Ife|
"Assault on Ninjago City"
"The Turn of the Tide"
Extended: Overpowered by Wojira, the ninjas retreat to the NGTV building to regroup - after being rescued from underwater by Benthomaar, Jay is in bad shape after having swallowed too much water. Nya is unable to draw it out and contemplates a decision to save Jay that she may never be able to come back from...
Jay has sunk to the bottom and tries to contact the others, but without much luck. To make matters worse, his sub car breaks down and water starts filling in rapidly. Locked in and not much time, Jay attempts to break the glass. Meanwhile, Wu summons everyone to the NGTV building while Kalmaar is being distracted by Nya. Kai, Lloyd and Zane answer Wu’s call and retreat from the pursuing Maaray Guards. Kalmaar is able to defeat Nya but before she retreats, she promises him that she will return. She then uses Spinjitzu and uses her powers to help her escape. Jay takes in one last breath before the water fills up. He continues to kick the glass but eventually grows weaker, losing air. Cole and Benthomaar arrive in time and Bentho smashes the glass. He takes Jay and swims upward as fast as he can.
Kalmaar has lost track of Nya and is searching for her when he spies the Destiny’s Bounty sailing across. He immediately pursues it and has Wojira destroy it. However, when he bursts inside, he finds out the ninja have tricked him by putting the vessel on autopilot. He growls and tells his guards to hunt down the ninja. The ninja, themselves, meet up at the NGTV building. Unfortunately, Jay has taken in too much seawater and is very weak. They hide the vehicles and retreat quickly inside when they hear Kalmaar coming towards them. Kalmaar mockingly calls out to Nya, proclaiming she has nowhere to hide and he will find her.
Inside the building, Zane reports on Jay’s condition with bad news; he will not survive for much longer unless the water is removed. They discuss amongst themselves the different ways to acquire aid, but their options are limited. Nya quietly asks Bentho how Nyad defeated Wojira and he reluctantly gives her more insight, but makes sure to emphasize on the drastic price it took. Nya only looks out into the sea and does not say anything. Elsewhere, Kalmaar dismounts Wojira and Gripe bursts out on him with a clue as to where the ninja may be. He pulls out a picture of the ninja team with the Commissioner, which the guards found in his possessions. Kalmaar grins evilly and proceeds to find him.
Night falls and day slowly rises. Jay wheezes softly while Nya looks on. Having not slept, she glances at the others who have dozed off before making her move. She kisses Jay goodbye and leaves quietly. Outside, tears fall down her face as she looks back and mouths “I love you”. She dives underwater and performs spinjitzu. As she begins to merge with the sea, the water in Jay’s lungs regurgitates. The scene wakes up the ninja to which they soon realize what Nya is trying to do and they sans Jay rush out to stop her. They are too late though as Nya completes the transformation. She glances at her new self and swims over to Jay, who is watching her. They share a moment before she blasts off to face Wojira. The rest of the ninja race outside and despite Wu’s call, Nya swims away. Jay catches up to them and proclaims that he will help Nya defeat Wojira. The rest of the team then decides that they will come as well.
In the Commissioner’s office, Kalmaar and his guards corner the Commissioner and Jimmy. He demands for the ninja’s location but the Commissioner refuses to speak. Kalmaar is about to zap him when Wojira alerts him of something approaching. They go to check out what it is and Kalmaar realizes it is the girl. Nya rises out of the sea and tells him her name isn’t girl, but Nya. She then guarantees him that he will wish that he had never met her in the first place before leaping into battle.
- Benthomaar - Cole Howard
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Gripe - Brian Drummond
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Kalmaar - Giles Panton
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- P.I.X.A.L. - Jennifer Hayward
- Police Commissioner - Michael Donovan
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- Narrator: Nya
- Nya's "I love you" was previously hinted by Tommy Andreasen and Bragi Schut: referring to a fan's observation that Nya had not yet told Jay she loves him, Andreasen asked Schut if he wanted to "fix this" as he was finishing the scripts, and Schut stated "I'm on it!".
- Andreasen also told a fan to "Keep watching" when asked about this subject.
- By becoming one with the sea, Nya fulfills what she told herself in "The Crooked Path," "Become the water". A similar motto, "BE WATER", was used on her movie counterpart's poster.
- This episode and the next episode, "The Turn of the Tide," aired in the UK on the same day "Gold Rush" was released.
- This is the sixteenth episode to have a character's name mentioned in the title. The other fifteen are "Return of the Overlord," "Codename: Arcturus," "My Dinner With Nadakhan," "Saving Faith," "Krag's Lament," "Superstar Rockin' Jay, "I am Okino," "Racer Seven," "The Skull Sorcerer," "Grief-Bringer," "The Son of Lilly," "The Gift of Jay," "The Tooth of Wojira," "The Wrath of Kalmaar," and "The Tale of Benthomaar."
- When Cole asks if they should ask Vania for help, Zane replies that their communicators do not have that range. This implies that there are technological devices in Shintaro (aside from their wings), although they have not yet been seen.
- Nya merging with the ocean shares similarities with Cole unlocking the Spinjitzu Burst in "The Son of Lilly", as both focus ninja (Nya and Cole) learn the truth about how a female Elemental Master (Nyad and Lilly) performed a powerful feat (merging with the sea and performing the Spinjitzu Burst). With this knowledge, they manage to unlock it themselves.
- Additionally, Nya is enveloped in a tornado when merging which bears some similarities to the appearance of the Spinjitzu Burst.
- In the credits, Cole is credited as voiced by Giles Panton, and Kalmaar is voiced by Kelly Sheridan.
- Although Vania is now queen, Cole still refers to her as "Princess Vania".
- When Gripe said "Fire," the Maaray Guards' tridents were blue despite being red at the time.
For the gallery of the episode, click here.