|“Of all my foes. Of all those who have tried to stop me, you, a common papergirl, came the closest. Perhaps, I have underestimated your loathsome species.”|
|— Kalmaar to Antonia|
|Season Seabound, Episode 11|
|Air date||April 28, 2021 (UK)|
May 9, 2021 (Canada)
|Written by||Bragi Schut|
|Directed by||Wade Cross|
"Riddle of the Sphinx"
"Master of the Sea"
Extended: Head papergirl Antonia has decided to quit since nothing she does makes any difference - Nelson is dismayed to hear this and tries to convince her not to give up. They come across Kalmaar battling the ninjas for the Storm Amulet and must escape with the amulet to keep it out of his tentacles - during the battle, Antonia and Nelson save Kai's life, proving that everyone can make a difference.
In Ninjago City, Sammy starts with announcements and announces that Antonia would be leaving. Everyone denies it but she confirms it herself. Nelson is saddened by this news. The Paperboys split up and Nelson sticks with Antonia, trying to convince her that she should stay. But she sticks by her choice. Nelson tries to fight her point by saying that it’s a beautiful day and nothing crazy has happened but only seconds after the Merlopians are attacking Ninjago City, biking through the chaos she mentions that crazy attacks always happen, passing a newspaper to Unagami. She says that she isn’t making any difference and might as well get a high paying job.
The two sit down in a alleyway. Nelson asks what flavors they have there but quickly throws away the answer, upset that Antonia is leaving. Antonia follows him trying to convince him that there are upsides in working at Dairy Dragon. Nelson understands and accepts her choice, crossing by the Explorers Club, a battle between Kalmaar and the ninja are taken out in the open. The Storm Amulet lands in front of her. Kalmaar threatens her to give it to him while Kai tells her to run.
She runs with Nelson and Kalmaar chases them. They make their way to Route 23 to avoid getting caught and lose the Merlopians, they escape but Kalmaar keeps his chase and hijacks a truck. Kai jumps in the truck to slow down Kalmaar, Antonia and Nelson come by a closing bridge and make the jump. But the truck fails to do so and sinks into the canal. Kalmaar escapes with ease and takes the Storm Amulet. He asks what affiliation Antonia is in and Antonia responds as a papergirl. Kalmaar laughs at this and admits to underestimating the humans. He dives into the canal and escapes. The two remember Kai is still stuck and before Antonia saves him and Nelson resuscitates him.
Wu, Cole and Ray come to check on Kai. Antonia apologizes for failing her mission. But Wu and Cole say she did all she could, thank her and they run off. Later, Nelson wishes Antonia luck in Dairy Dragon. But Antonia cuts him off, says she is staying and says goodbye to the Purple Ninja.
- Antonia - Brynna Drummond
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Gripe - Brian Drummond
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Kalmaar - Giles Panton
- Nelson - David Raynolds
- Leroy - Brynna Drummond
- Paperboy 2 - Kelly Metzger
- Ray - Vincent Tong
- Sammy - Tabitha St. Germain
- Wu - Paul Dobson
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- Narrator: Kalmaar
- The ice cream shop mentioned throughout the episode is named "Dairy Dragon." This was a fan's idea after Bragi Schut asked for possible names for an ice cream shop in Ninjago.
- The ice cream flavor "Bananakhan" is a reference to Nadakhan and was also thought of by a fan.
- The ice cream flavor "Mango Morro" is a reference to Morro and was thought of by a fan, originally called "Minty Morro".
- The ice cream flavor "orange sorbentine" (sorbet + Serpentine) is a reference to the Serpentine and was based on a fan's suggestion for the ice cream shop name.
- The ice cream flavor "ninjapolitan" is based on the real-world flavor, "neapolitan".
- Kai jumping off of a building and onto the truck Kalmaar is driving is similar to that one part in the "Highway Scene" from the movie Deadpool.
- A civilian in his car can briefly be heard listening to "The Weekend Whip" when Kalmaar is chasing Antonia and Nelson through the streets.
- A stylized depiction of Fugi-Dove by artist Joshua Deck appears on the wall just before the raising bridge.
- After going over the raised bridge, Antonia and Nelson land near a rainbow crossing. The six stripes are used as symbol of LGBTQ+ pride.
- In addition, two men can briefly be seen kissing on a rowboat in the canal.
- A sign at the end of the episode in Ninjargon says "Ninjago City - City that never sleeps," referring to the Paperboys' motto, "News Never Sleeps!"
- This is the only Seabound episode where Nya, Jay, Zane or Lloyd don't make an appearance.
- This is the second episode to focus on Nelson and Antonia, the first being "The News Never Sleeps!."
- Antonia mentions the attack of the Pyro Vipers and the attack from Prime Empire.
- Kalmaar mentions the Serpentine, the Oni, the Elemental Masters and the Vermillion when asking the identity of Antonia, comparing her to others he has fought.
- This is the first time the Oni and the Vermillion are mentioned in the WildBrain episodes.
- Wu's phrase "Go, kids, go!" refers to the original catchphrase "Go, ninja, go!"
- This episode marks the 60th appearance of the ninja's default suits introduced in "Wasted True Potential".
- Before these suits, the ZX suits were the most commonly seen with 20 appearances.
- Kalmaar pronounces "Serpentine" ser-pen-TYNE, which is the actual pronunciation of the real word.
For the gallery of the episode, click here.