|“If you want to get your sister back, you must control the fire that burns inside. Only when you become a Spinjitzu Master, will you be able to face . . . Lord Garmadon.”|
|— Wu to Kai in "Way of the Ninja"|
The Pilot Episodes, also known as the Pilot Season and occasionally subtitled Masters of Spinjitzu, are the first installments in the LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu series and are succeeded by the Mini-Movies. Kai was the focus ninja, Lord Garmadon served as the main antagonist, and the Skulkin were the villainous faction of the season. It introduces us to the four original ninja (Kai, Jay, Zane, and Cole), Nya, Master Wu, and Lord Garmadon.
Long before time had a name, the NINJAGO world was created by the First Spinjitzu Master by using the Four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu; weapons so powerful, no one could handle all of their power at once. When he passed away, his two sons swore to protect them, but the oldest, Lord Garmadon, was consumed by darkness and wanted to possess them all. A battle between brothers broke out. Lord Garmadon was defeated and banished to the Underworld.
"Long before time had a name, Ninjago was created by the First Spinjitzu Master, by using the four weapons of Spinjitzu: The Scythe of Quakes, the Nunchucks of Lightning, the Shurikens of Ice, and the Sword of Fire. Weapons so powerful, no one can handle all their power at once. When he passed away, his two sons swore to protect them. But the oldest was consumed by darkness and wanted to possess the weapons. A battle between brothers broke out, and the oldest was struck down and banished to the underworld. Peace returned, and the younger brother hid the weapons. But knowing his older brother's relentless ambition for power, he placed a guardian to protect them. And for fear of his own demise, a map for an honest man to hide."
Young blacksmith Kai joins the ninja in an effort to rescue his younger sister, Nya. Under the tutelage of their wise sensei, the four teenagers band together to face Samukai and the Skulkin Army, led by Wu's evil brother, Lord Garmadon.
|Season Ep #||Series Ep #||Image||Episode name||Airdate|
|1||Pilot||"Way of the Ninja"||January 14, 2011 (US)|
|2||Pilot||"The Golden Weapon"||January 14, 2011 (US)|
|3||Pilot||"King of Shadows"||January 14, 2011 (US)|
|4||Pilot||"Weapons of Destiny"||January 14, 2011 (US)|
- 2258 Ninja Ambush
- 2259 Skull Motorbike
- 2260 Ice Dragon Attack
- 2263 Turbo Shredder
- 2504 Spinjitzu Dojo
- 2505 Garmadon's Dark Fortress
- 2506 Skull Truck
- 2507 Fire Temple
- 2508 Blacksmith Shop
- 2509 Earth Dragon Defense
- 2516 Ninja Training Outpost
- 2518 Nuckal's ATV
- 2519 Skeleton Bowling
- 2520 Ninjago Battle Arena
- 2521 Lightning Dragon Battle
- 2111 Kai
- 2112 Cole
- 2113 Zane
- 2114 Chopov
- 2115 Bonezai
- 2116 Krazi
- 2170 Cole DX
- 2171 Zane DX
- 2172 Nya
- 2173 Nuckal
- 2174 Kruncha
- 2175 Wyplash
- 2254 Mountain Shrine
- 2255 Sensei Wu
- 2256 Lord Garmadon
- 2257 Spinjitzu Starter Set
- 4617163 Ninjago Eyes Sticker
- 4636204 LEGO Ninjago Promotion
- Cole Articulated Figure
- Bonezai Articulated Figure
- Garmadon Articulated Figure
- Kai Articulated Figure
- Krazi Articulated Figure
- Nuckal Articulated Figure
- Samukai Articulated Figure
- Wu Articulated Figure
- Zane Articulated Figure
- Although it was called "Masters of Spinjitzu" on LEGO.com, Tommy Andreasen said that the pilot season does not have a name, but they have referred to it as "Way of the Ninja."
- Andreasen has also referred to the season as two episodes, as opposed to the four eleven-minute episodes some consider them to be.
- In some airings, the tune of the audio had a low pitch.
- In a concept for the original ending, the Ninja followed Garmadon into a portal to the future.
- The Character Encyclopedia, incorrectly refers to the pilot episodes as Season 1, and the actual Season 1 as Season 2.
- Kai was the focus ninja of this season. It focused on how he became a ninja. Kai initially does not want to become a ninja but is forced to do so to save Nya.
- Nya also had the main role behind Kai as she was kidnapped by the Skulkin Army. She was the primary cause of Kai's story. Her kidnapping is one of the instigating events of the series as it leads to Kai becoming a ninja.
- Jay plays less of a role. He loses his voice in the second half and suggests the Tornado of Creation. He takes a slight interest to Nya, which hints at their future relationship.
- Cole also plays less of a role, but he is shown as the leader of the ninja team. He is afraid of dragons but is forced to adapt when the ninja train their dragons to enter the Underworld.
- Zane plays one of the smallest roles in this season, but it is established that he does not have a sense of humor and is very serious. This story continues into Season 1.
- Wu was the first character to be seen in the series. His backstory in Ninjago was mentioned as well. He plays a major role as he trains Kai and leads the team.
- Lord Garmadon served as the main antagonist. His escape from the Underworld and quest for the Golden Weapons is the main threat to the ninja.
- Samukai is the secondary antagonist. He intends to betray Garmadon but ends up dying due to the power of the weapons.
- The Skulkin were the villainous faction.
- When Wu is talking to Kai after the Skulkin kidnap Nya, his staff becomes shorter between scenes.
- In one scene when the three other ninja attack Kai, Cole is holding shurikens.
- When Cole is on the ground wrestling Kai, he is wearing his Original Earth gi.
- At various points, Zane's normal Shurikens turn golden and then silver again.
- When Wu is fighting Samukai, the Shurikens of Ice disappear, and then reappear again.