|“I present to you, the exalted emperor and empress of Ninjago, and their daughter, the Jade Princess, Princess Harumi.”|
The Royal Family was the imperial family of Ninjago. Despite their titles, they were not truly Ninjago's rulers and were not involved in public affairs; having been figureheads with no real power.
The Emperor and Empress had wanted a child and heir to the throne for a long time but were unable to have one of their own for unknown reasons. After the attack of the Great Devourer they found the newly orphaned Harumi through television shows and, moved by her story, decided to adopt her and raise her as their own, completely unaware that their new daughter hated them and didn't want to be a princess.
After Lord Garmadon was redeemed and became Master Garmadon, a public ceremony was held. The former warlord bowed before the Emperor, who pardoned him of all his crimes. This caused Harumi to hate Garmadon and abandon her adoration of him. As years passed, Harumi became the obedient, proper princess the Emperor and Empress expected her to be although she was still very unhappy with her life until she grew tired of her confinement at the palace and started sneaking out of the palace at night. One day, Harumi heard a voice coming from the Mask of Deception which Harumi recognized: it was Lord Garmadon's voice whispering her name. This reignited her adoration for Garmadon and inspired her to bring him back by forming an association called the "Sons of Garmadon", a motorcycle gang consisting of dangerous criminals.
- Their house symbol is a lotus flower.
- Apparently it is some sort of tradition for women in the Royal family to have their hair bleached when they reached a certain age. Hair bleaching is not a thing done in actual East-Asian royalties, historical or present.
- They were extremely private people.
- They always wore green, white, gray and yellow colored clothes.
- Women in the Royal Family only wore kimonos.
- The Emperor and Empress looked down on people who weren't royalty (or at least upper class) since they disapproved of Harumi getting too close to Lloyd since he wasn't royalty, which is odd since Lloyd is the grandson of the First Spinjitzu Master, the man who created Ninjago.
- Some more background on the royal family and their bodyguard Hutchins will be further explored in "various media". https://twitter.com/TommyAndreasen/status/1033281521673797633 https://twitter.com/brothershageman/status/1117141710113361920