- This article is about the Royal Family of Ninjago. For other uses, see here.
The Royal Family of Ninjago was the imperial family of Ninjago. Despite their titles, they were not truly Ninjago's rulers and were not involved in public affairs, having been figureheads with no real power of their own.
The Emperor and Empress had wanted a child and heir to the throne for a long time but were unable to have one of their own for unknown reasons. After the attack of the Great Devourer they found the newly orphaned Harumi through television shows and, moved by her story, decided to adopt her and raise her as their own, completely unaware that their new daughter hated them and didn't want to be a princess.
After Lord Garmadon was redeemed and became Master Garmadon, a public ceremony was held. The former warlord bowed before the Emperor, who pardoned him of all his crimes. This caused Harumi to hate Garmadon and abandon her adoration of him. As years passed, Harumi became the obedient, proper princess the Emperor and Empress expected her to be. Unbeknownst to them, she was still very unhappy with her life. She eventually grew tired of her confinement at the palace and started sneaking out at night. One day, Harumi heard a voice coming from the Mask of Deception which Harumi recognized: it was Lord Garmadon's voice whispering her name. This reignited her adoration for Garmadon and inspired her to bring him back by forming an association called the "Sons of Garmadon", a motorcycle gang consisting of dangerous criminals.
Before Harumi was revealed to actually be the leader of the gang, the Sons of Garmadon staged an attack on the Royal House, placing bombs underneath it and setting the residence on fire. Despite their efforts, the ninja were only able to save Harumi, with the Emperor, Empress, Hutchins, and all the guards being killed in the attack.
While Garmadon attacked the city, Harumi was killed, having stayed on a crumbling building, thus killing the last known member of the Royal House.
- Their family symbol is a lotus flower.
- In "Golden Hour," Wu is thrown into the wall of the Monastery of Spinjitzu in the past, creating a crack resembling this symbol. This is a reference to the fact that the Royal Family seemingly appeared out of nowhere in Season 8, and it suggests that their existence was caused by this change to the timeline.
- Apparently it is some sort of tradition for women in the Royal family to have their hair bleached when they reached a certain age. Hair bleaching is not a practice in actual East-Asian royalties, historical or present.
- They were extremely private people.
- They always wore green, white, gray, and yellow-colored clothes.
- Women in the Royal Family only wore kimonos.
- The Emperor and Empress looked down on people who weren't royalty (or at least upper class) since they disapproved of Harumi getting too close to Lloyd since he wasn't royalty, which is odd since Lloyd is the grandson of the First Spinjitzu Master, the man who created Ninjago.
- It is possible they did not know Lloyd was the grandson of Ninjago's creator, being very reclusive and private.
- All known members of the royal family are deceased. It is unknown whether a new royal family will come to power.
- The show's creators confirmed some more background on the royal family and their bodyguard Hutchins would be further explored in "various media". Part of it was revealed in the book Garmadon Rulez!.