|“Endings will always come, whether we want them to or not. They are inevitable. All we can do is fight to make them good ones.”|
|— Wu in the March of the Oni trailer|
The tenth season of LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, subtitled March of the Oni, was preceded by Season 9 and Tales from the Monastery of Spinjitzu and succeeded by Season 11. It continues and concludes the story arc that began in Season 8. Cole is the intro character, but there is no mascot character, nor is there a focus character. The Omega serves as the main antagonist and the Oni serve as the season's villainous faction.
Bragi Schut, who previously worked on both Sons of Garmadon and Hunted, is the lead writer. The Hageman Brothers were involved with the creation of the story but were not the scriptwriters. Being only four episodes, the season has also alternatively been edited into a feature-length TV film, spanning 82 minutes (one hour and 22 minutes).
The first teaser was released on December 16, 2018. The first trailer was released on YouTube on January 4, 2019. It was made available on the US Cartoon Network app and On-Demand on April 12, 2019. The season premiered as a film in the United States on April 19, 2019.
This season, along with Seasons 11, 12, and 13 became available on Netflix in the US starting November 1, 2020.
Teaser: Bringers of doom, darkness, and destruction descend upon NINJAGO, and all hope seems lost. The ninjas must fight off the Oni invasion – but how can they defeat this destructive power and protect the NINJAGO legacy? There isn’t much time left - is this the end of NINJAGO, or will good defeat the powers of evil?
Trailer: The Oni are coming … As demonic darkness descends upon the realm of NINJAGO, the time has come for our heroes to rise again and protect the land that all Masters of Spinjitzu call home. It is a world filled with a rich history and legacy, and it is from here where our ninja heroes must unlock an even greater power to defeat the darkness that is marching towards them. What could these shapeshifting dark forces be, why do they want to destroy NINJAGO, and how can they be defeated?
We Are Ninjago: This is our history – and we’re going to fight for it! After years of training in the ancient arts to become Masters of Spinjitzu, after growing as both warriors and family, after protecting the realm from enemy after enemy, the ninja pitch an heroic last-ditch effort against the Bringers of Doom. They are fighting for the NINJAGO world and its rich history, and they are fighting for their legacy – and they will give it their everything. Why? Because they are Powerful. They are Family. They are Ninja!!!
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Dareth - Alan Marriott
- Faith - Kathleen Barr
- Garmadon - Mark Oliver
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Misako - Kathleen Barr
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- The Omega - Zach LeBlanc
- P.I.X.A.L. - Jennifer Hayward
- Vinny - Gavin Langelo
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
|Season Ep #||Series Ep #||Image||Episode name||Airdate|
|1||95||"The Darkness Comes"||April 19, 2019 (US)|
|2||96||"Into the Breach"||April 19, 2019 (US)|
|3||97||"The Fall"||April 19, 2019 (US)|
|4||98||"Endings"||April 19, 2019 (US)|
This remains the first and only season not to have a full set wave accompany it. 853866 Accessory Set 2019 was the only set made for this season, although it's a minifigure pack and not a full set. However, some elements of the first Legacy wave released in winter 2019 appeared in the show, specifically elements from 70669 Cole's Earth Driller and 70670 Monastery of Spinjitzu.
- 853866 Accessory Set 2019 (LEGO Store exclusive)
- Cole is the intro reader and "Previously on Ninjago" opening shot character of the season.
- As of this season, every ninja has appeared in the "Previously on Ninjago" opening shot of a season, though Nya only appeared in tandem with Kai in the Season 7 opening.
- This is the last season:
- To have the "Masters of Spinjitzu" tagline. Future seasons are simply titled LEGO Ninjago.
- To have episodes that are 22-minutes in length.
- To be animated and produced by WILFilm ApS.
- To use the traditional "Previously on Ninjago..." sequence.
- To feature Jay with dark brown hair, Zane with his "human" cloak form, and Cole with his eyes relaxed (so far).
- Tommy Andreasen stated that this season serves as "a conclusion of a 24 episode arc." This meant that the loose ends left open at the end of "Green Destiny" would be concluded by the end of this season.
- This was confirmed to be true in the season finale when the Oni were defeated.
- This is the second season in a row to not have a focus character.
- When asked for spoilers, Tommy Andreasen ominously replied with, ". . . one ninja will fall. . . ." He also stated ". . . one ninja will make a fatal mistake. . . ." and ". . . one director will try to downplay just how much pain those dear ninja will have to endure. . . ."
- It was revealed that Cole literally falls down into the Oni cloud, which is confirmed in "The Fall."
- He also stated that "one ninja will hold the fate of Ninjago in his hands." This was revealed to be Kai in "Endings" as he reforged the Golden Weapons which allows the ninja to create the Tornado of Creation once again.
- It was recently stated that "one ninja must let go of his love." This was Zane as proven by both his poster, as well as having to leave behind P.I.X.A.L. in "Into the Breach" in order to have someone stay behind and wait for Lloyd and Garmadon to return.
- The ninja that makes the fatal mistake is Nya, as in "The Fall," she accidentally steered the Bounty in reverse, causing Cole to fall off the ladder.
- The final episode of Hunted, "Green Destiny," hinted that future villains would be the Oni, as Lloyd believes they are coming. It was confirmed in the new trailer that the Oni indeed come this season.
- The Monastery of Spinjitzu returns in this season, despite being burned down by the Hypnobrai in "Home" and again accidentally by Kai in "The Hands of Time." This is the first season since Rise of the Snakes in which it is fully restored.
- As stated by Tommy Andreasen, this season's intro is very different than that of other seasons. It was revealed to be an animated sequence of the murals in the monastery.
- The season is dedicated to William "Scott" Godon-Decoteau, who was a driving force in the production of Skybound, Possession, and The Hands of Time. He passed away in an accident on October 10, 2018.
- On November 16, 2018, Tommy Andreasen announced on his Twitter that the original four episodes announced at Comic-Con would be edited into a feature-length TV film, as well that production was nearly complete. They mentioned that it would "be the film fans of the TV canon deserve" and that it would be dedicated in memory of Godon-Decoteau's passing.
- Zane appears in his new titanium head print from the Sons of Garmadon and Hunted sets. His human cloak now has his LEGO Ninjago Movie/Snake Jaguar eyebrows.
- This is the first season since Rebooted not to have 10 episodes. It is also the shortest season to date.
- This season marks the first time the Realm Crystal appears since "Misfortune Rising."
- The Realm Crystal is destroyed in this season, making it the second time to happen in the series. (Although the first time was in an erased timeline.)
- Nya has a new dress that resembles her original dress from the Pilot Episodes and the first two seasons, although it was only worn in "The Darkness Comes."
- Garmadon regains his powers in this season due to creating a small conflict with the ninja.
- The pack containing Oni villains was released as a LEGO Store exclusive on January 1. It is the only set for this season.
- Nya accepts Jay asking her to be his Yang in the season finale.
- The Tornado of Creation is performed for the first time since "Day of the Great Devourer." It is used to defeat the Oni.
- The Golden Weapons are reforged in their season, which is their first appearance since "Wrong Place, Wrong Time." They are reforged by Kai, who wears his original blacksmith suit in the last episode of the season.
- The season's title most likely comes from an event in the season finale, where the Oni are literally marching towards the Monastery of Spinjitzu.
- This is the third season to not have Master Wu announce the episode title and to not have The Weekend Whip as the intro music. It is also the fourth season to not have the Serpentine since their debut.
- Tommy Andreasen said that originally they did not intend to explain what happened with the Oni and bring them to Ninjago, but once they had the idea of this season, they put the clues in Hunted.
- Samukai, Kruncha, Nuckal, the Great Devourer, the Overlord, (in both his Dragon and Golden Master forms), Kozu, the Stone Army, the Nindroids, Chen (In his Anacondrai form), the Anacondrai warriors, the Anacondrai generals, the Ghost Warriors, Morro (Possessing Lloyd), The Preeminent, Clouse (As a human), Nadakhan, Acronix, Krux, the Iron Doom, the Time Blades, Harumi, the Oni Mask of Hatred, the Colossus and Iron Baron, all appear in the season's intro.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, Chima would have been in this season, but it did not make the final cut.
- Cyrus Borg has a new hairstyle in this season, in addition to having slightly smaller glasses.
- Since this season, the stud on the top of Minifigure heads do not appear, as shown in the picture of the skull in the Borg Tower Vaults.
- This is the first season to have a set of animated gifs released alongside it, a precedent that would remain for the following seasons.
- The movie version of the season orders some scenes differently to make Cole's survival more surprising, and "Faith’s story also sits differently, there is a new title and credit sequence and some new music by Kramer and Vincent ... and other small trims."
- There is no true focus character in this season.
- Garmadon plays a vital role in this season. His mission with Lloyd to destroy the Realm Crystal is crucial to the season's plot. He also struggles with his emotions and contemplates the meaning of life in Episode 97. His development builds up to him reluctantly helping the ninja form the Tornado of Creation.
- Lloyd plays a large role in this season. His adventures with Garmadon in the darkness are key to the story, as well as their fight with Omega. In addition, Lloyd meets his grandfather in Episode 98.
- Kai plays an important role in this season. Kai was Ninjago's last hope on defeating the Oni. He held the fate of Ninjago in his hands as his fire is the only thing that could melt and reforge the Golden Weapons which ultimately allows the ninja to create the Tornado of Creation which is crucial to defeating the Oni in Episode 98. In addition, he helps Jay propose to Nya in Episode 95, his sadness and reaction towards Cole's fall when he tried to turn the ship around, comforts Nya when Cole fell and the conversation between him and Nya when she reminds him that only he can melt and reforge the golden weapons and the fate of Ninjago is in his hands is focused in Episode 97.
- Cole also plays an important role in this season. He narrates the intro and reads the episode titles. His fall impacted the other ninja, caused Nya to blame herself, and motivated Garmadon to learn there was more to life than survival, causing him to ultimately join the ninjas' Tornado of Creation.
- The other ninja play somewhat significant roles throughout the story.
- Jay struggles to ask Nya to be his Yang, which she later agrees to in Episode 98.
- Nya's struggle with her emotions after being responsible for Cole's fall is featured throughout Episode 97.
- P.I.X.A.L. plays a smaller role. Her struggle to venture into the darkness to rescue Lloyd and Garmadon in time is emphasized throughout Episode 97.
- Zane plays a small role in this season, having less to do than the other five ninja. He must let go of P.I.X.A.L. in Episode 97 to help save the people of NGTV News.
- Wu has a smaller role in this season. He helps the ninja battle the Oni and to perform the Tornado of Creation.
- Misako had a cameo in Episode 95 and had an appearance in Episode 98 helping protect the people and monks.
- Dareth appears in Episodes 95 and 98.
- Cyrus Borg appears in Episodes 95, 96, and 98.
- Skylor, Ronin, and Karlof make cameos in Episode 98.
- Faith makes a cameo in Episode 95 and returns in Episode 98 to help the ninja.