|“There comes a time when we all must grow up. When that time comes, it's important not to forget the lessons of our childhood because our childhood is the greatest training one can ever have. Yes, the time until the final battle has grown shorter, but the Green Ninja has grown stronger.”|
|— Sensei Wu in "Child's Play"|
The second season of of LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, subtitled Legacy of the Green Ninja and alternatively known as Return of the Dark Lord or Rise of the Green Ninja, was preceded by Season 1 and succeeded by Season 3. Lloyd is the focus ninja. In the first half of the season, Lord Garmadon served as the main antagonist, and the Serpentine served as the villainous faction. In the second half, the Overlord served as the main antagonist, and the Stone Army served as the villainous faction.
Lord Garmadon has disappeared with all Four Golden Weapons and now he controls the Serpentine. Meanwhile, the ninja intensify their training of young Lloyd so he will be strong enough to defeat Lord Garmadon in the final battle. To gain evil power, Lord Garmadon goes to the Golden Peaks to convert all Four Golden Weapons into the weapon of creation – the Mega Weapon.
With the Golden Weapons now in Lord Garmadon's possession, the ninja begins training Lloyd so he can face his father one day and save Ninjago, something which he was afraid of for the sake of their bond. Garmadon works to thwart the prophecy by recruiting the masterless Serpentine and merging the 4 Golden Weapons into the powerful Mega Weapon. After Garmadon's last attempt ended with Lloyd being aged into a teenager, like his four mentors, he attempts to change the events of the past. The original four ninja follow Garmadon and use the Golden Weapons of the past to destroy the Mega Weapon, restoring the timeline and sending the Golden Weapons into space.
While Garmadon ends up being stranded on an island with a disembodied voice called the Overlord, the venom of the Great Devourer seeps into catacombs beneath Ninjago and reawakens the Stone Army, trapping the Serpentine underground in the process. Along with Misako, Lloyd's mother, the ninja travel to the Dark Island to stop Garmadon. The ninja fail to stop the countdown to the final battle, and the Overlord is revealed to be the dark lord from the prophecy. He possesses Garmadon and heads to Ninjago.
After they found a way out of the Island, Lloyd uses his newfound Golden Power to defeat the Overlord and become the Golden Ninja. After the Final Battle, Lord Garmadon is purged from evil and comes back to Ninjago as Sensei Garmadon.
- Acidicus - Paul Dobson
- Bank Boss (Ep. 14) - John Novak
- Bizarro Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Bizarro Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Bizarro Kai - Vincent Tong
- Bizarro Zane - Brent Miller
- Brad Tudabone - Kathleen Barr
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Cop (Ep. 15) - Mark Oliver
- Cop (Ep. 17) - Vincent Tong
- Cop #1 (Ep. 18) - Michael Adamthwaite
- Cop #2 (Ep. 18) - John Novak
- Chokun - Ian James Corlett
- Ed - Colin Murdock
- Edna - Jillian Michaels
- Dareth - Alan Marriott
- Dr. Julien - Mark Oliver
- Fangtom - Mackenzie Gray
- First Mate - Brent Miller
- Garmadon - Mark Oliver
- Gayle Gossip - Kelly Sheridan
- Gene - Kathleen Barr
- Guide Parrot - Michael Adamthwaite
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Kozu - Paul Dobson
- Kruncha - Brian Drummond
- Lasha - Vincent Tong
- Lloyd Garmadon - Jillian Michaels
- Lou - Kirby Morrow
- Mezmo - Vincent Tong
- Misako - Kathleen Barr
- Mystake - Mackenzie Gray
- Museum Curator - Mackenzie Gray
- No-Eyed Pete - Paul Dobson
- Noble - Paul Dobson
- Nuckal - Brian Drummond
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- Patty Keys - Cathy Weseluck
- Postman - Michael Adamthwaite
- Rufus MacAllister - Paul Dobson
- Samukai - Michael Kopsa
- Serpentine Soldier - Vincent Tong
- Skales - Ian James Corlett
- Skalidor - Michael Dobson
- Skulkin - Michael Adamthwaite
- Snike - Ian James Corlett
- Soto - Alan Marriott
- Stone Scout - Vincent Tong
- Stone Warrior - Scott McNeil, Alan Marriott
- Subway Controller #1 - Vincent Tong
- Subway Controller #2 - Michael Adamthwaite
- The Overlord - Scott McNeil
- Vinny - Paul Dobson
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
|Season Ep #||Series Ep #||Image||Episode name||Airdate|
|1||14||"Darkness Shall Rise"||July 18, 2012|
|2||15||"Pirates vs. Ninja"||July 25, 2012|
|3||16||"Double Trouble"||August 1, 2012|
|4||17||"Ninjaball Run"||August 8, 2012|
|5||18||"Child's Play"||August 15, 2012|
|6||19||"Wrong Place, Wrong Time"||August 22, 2012|
|7||20||"The Stone Army"||October 3, 2012|
|8||21||"The Day Ninjago Stood Still"||October 10, 2012|
|9||22||"The Last Voyage"||October 17, 2012|
|10||23||"Island of Darkness"||October 24, 2012|
|11||24||"The Last Hope"||November 7, 2012|
|12||25||"Return of the Overlord"||November 14, 2012|
|13||26||"Rise of the Spinjitzu Master"||November 21, 2012|
The first half of the season, that being the Mega-Weapon arc, did not have any sets. This is the first and only time a significant story arc of a season did not have any accompanying sets.
The second half of the season was branded as "The Final Battle," with Golden Lloyd as the mascot character. The box art depicts the Dark Island, and most of the sets portray ninja vehicles or Stone Army vehicles. The collectible items are the Elemental Blades.
Smaller than most waves, this was the first to have each new variant of the original four ninja exclusive to a single set (not counting the previous NRG suits, which were exclusive to spinner sets).
- 70500 Kai's Fire Mech
- 70501 Warrior Bike
- 70502 Cole's Earth Driller
- 70503 The Golden Dragon
- 70504 Garmatron
- 70505 Temple of Light
- This is one of the two seasons to contain 13 episodes, the other being Rise of the Snakes.
- This was originally intended to be the last season of Ninjago, as the franchise was planned to be discontinued in 2013. However, fan demand had convinced the creators to continue it.
- This is the only season to be released on Blu-Ray.
- This season has two arcs, one of which revolves around Garmadon's Mega Weapon and the Serpentine (episodes 14-19) and the other which is based on the Final Battle and the Stone Army (episodes 20-26).
- In the version of the intro used in episodes 14-18 before Lloyd was aged up, Wu's beard appeared more like the one on his minifigure. In Episode 19, it returned to its normal appearance similar to that of the Rise of the Snakes intro.
- In episodes 15-24 the tune of the audio was about half a semitone to about a semitone lower.
- The ninja have their Golden Weapons in the intro despite only having them in the actual season for a brief moment in "Wrong Place, Wrong Time."
- This season is not called "Rise of the Green Ninja" because that would be too similar to "Rise of the Snakes".
- Lloyd was the focus ninja throughout this season. This whole season was built up for the final battle taking place in episode 26.
- Lloyd had four focus episodes, which were episodes 18, 20, 25, and 26.
- Zane and Kai had prominent roles this season due to their own focus episodes.
- Zane was the focus character in episode 22, due to his backstory and the fate of his father, Dr. Julien.
- Kai was the focus ninja in episode 19, because it was about the things that happened to him in the pilot episodes that Lord Garmadon was trying to change.
- Nya also had a larger role in the season.
- Nya was captured in episode 24 and corrupted in episode 25 using Dark Matter. She became a loyal servant of the villains in episodes 25 and most of 26.
- Jay and Cole had minor roles this season, though Jay has a larger role than Cole.
- Jay has a heavier role in episodes 14 and 16, but he is not the main focus.
- Wu had some capacity in the show (like his relationship with Garmadon and Misako in episode 21), but the appearance of Wu was less than the six main characters.
- Misako had her first appearance in episode 20. She had some capacity in episodes 20-26.
- Lord Garmadon was the main antagonist of this season until Episode 20, in which The Overlord took over as the main antagonist of this season.
- Skales was the secondary antagonist of this season until Episode 20, in which Lord Garmadon took over as the secondary antagonist of this season.
- Other important antagonists include Fangtom (episodes 14-21), Skalidor (episodes 14-21), Acidicus (episodes 14-21), Captain Soto (episodes 15 and 17), the Bizarro ninja (episode 16), the Grundle (episode 18), the Giant Stone Warrior (episode 20), General Kozu (episodes 21-26), and Nya (episodes 25-26).
- The Serpentine were the villainous faction of this season until Episode 21. During and after Episode 21, the Stone Army took over as the villainous faction of the season.
- Captain Soto's crew were the villainous faction of Episode 15, while making a minor appearance in Episode 17.
- The Skulkin also made an appearance in Episode 19, due to the time travel.
- The Visual Dictionary