|“Don't you get it? Things are already changing. For the worse. Besides, Master Wu also says 'Never put off until tomorrow what can be done today.' And if we don't help today, there won't be a tomorrow.”|
|— Kai to Nya in "Lost in Time"|
The seventh season of LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, subtitled The Hands of Time or simply Hands of Time, was preceded by Season 6 and "Day of the Departed" and succeeded by Season 8. Kai and Nya were the focus ninja and mascot characters of the sets, and had a major role though it was considered more of an ensemble season. Acronix and Krux served as the main antagonists, and the Vermillion were the villainous faction of the season.
Shortly after the Day of the Departed, Master Wu awaits his old enemy Acronix to complete a battle they began 40 years ago. But Wu never should have faced such a powerful foe alone. Acronix hits Wu with the Time Punch, which causes him to start rapidly aging! Acronix escapes and reunites with his twin brother Krux, who has been living the past 40 years in disguise as the lovable Dr. Sander Saunders. During this time, Krux has been breeding a new slithering enemy: the Vermillion Warriors.
Acronix, one of the Hands of Time, passes through a time vortex and is challenged to a fight by Master Wu. After the arrival of the Forward Time Blade, Acronix hits Wu with a Time Punch which accelerates his aging one day per hour. Even with the intervention of the ninja, Acronix escapes and reunites with his brother Krux. Now the two Hands of Time have a plan that could change history and revert Ninjago back to its old-fashioned roots. They control an army of Serpentine known as Vermillion, from the eggs of the Great Devourer, who can form into Samurai using metal. The Vermillion began capturing Ninjago builders, including Cyrus Borg, and stealing metal. All to build the Iron Doom, which can travel time, using the Time Apparatus to utilize all four Time Blades. With Master Wu unable to fight, P.I.X.A.L. offline, three other Time Blades scattered throughout time, and a mysterious new Samurai X to learn the identity of, Lloyd leads the team to stop the Time Twins and save Master Wu. The adventure soon proves personal to Kai and Nya, when it turns out their parents could have ties to the villains.
|Season Ep #||Series Ep #||Image||Episode name||Air date|
|1||65||"The Hands of Time"||May 15, 2017 (US)|
|2||66||"The Hatching"||May 16, 2017 (US)|
|3||67||"A Time of Traitors"||May 17, 2017 (US)|
|4||68||"Scavengers"||May 18, 2017 (US)|
|5||69||"A Line in the Sand"||May 19, 2017 (US)|
|6||70||"The Attack"||May 22, 2017 (US)|
|7||71||"Secrets Discovered"||May 23, 2017 (US)|
|8||72||"Pause and Effect"||May 24, 2017 (US)|
|9||73||"Out of the Fire and Into the Boiling Sea"||May 25, 2017 (US)|
|10||74||"Lost in Time"||May 26, 2017 (US)|
- Acronix - Ian Hanlin
- Blunck - Brian Drummond
- Bytar - Kirby Morrow
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Cyrus Borg - Lee Tockar
- Dareth - Alan Marriott
- Dr. Saunders/Krux - Michael Daingerfield
- Ed Walker - Colin Murdock
- Edna Walker - Jillian Michaels
- Garmadon - Mark Oliver
- Gayle Gossip - Kelly Sheridan
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Jay's Mother - Kelly Metzger
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Karlof - Scott McNeil
- Lloyd Garmadon - Jillian Michaels
- Lou - Kirby Morrow
- Misako - Kathleen Barr
- Machia - Kathleen Barr
- Maya - Jillian Michaels
- Morro - Andrew Francis
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- P.I.X.A.L./Samurai X - Jennifer Hayward, Michael Donovan
- Raggmunk - Michael Adamthwaite
- Ray - Vincent Tong
- Ronin - Brian Dobson
- Skales - Ian James Corlett
- Skales Jr. - Alyssya Swales
- Skalidor - Michael Dobson
- Skylor - Heather Doerksen
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
- 70621 The Vermillion Attack
- 70622 Desert Lightning
- 70623 Destiny's Shadow
- 70624 Vermillion Invader
- 70625 Samurai VXL
- 70626 Dawn of Iron Doom
- 70627 Dragon's Forge
- At the end of Dark Island Trilogy, Part 3, the season was alluded to when Master Wu has a vision of Kai and Nya's parents forging something alongside the "twins lost to time."
- The collectible items featured in this season are the Time Blades.
- This season has a larger focus on the previous generation of Elemental Masters.
- The fate of Kai and Nya's parents, Ray and Maya, was revealed, after being alluded to since the pilot episodes.
- Jay's birth mother is seen throughout the season and has since been confirmed to be his birth mother, having married Cliff Gordon and possess the elemental power of Lightning.
- This season picks up almost immediately after "Day of the Departed."
- This season introduces the elemental power of Time.
- The characters of Raggmunk and Blunck resembled Kruncha and Nuckal from the earlier seasons.
- This is the first season to feature Lloyd's soundtrack—Revealing The Green Ninja—since Legacy of the Green Ninja.
- Cyrus Borg had a much larger role this season, after a brief cameo in Skybound and a complete absence from "Day of the Departed."
- It is hinted at in "Pause and Effect" that Wu may still be carrying romantic feelings towards Misako.
- The Royal Blacksmiths' song, "Revenge Will Be Mine," is used again in the season, after being introduced in "Day of the Departed."
- Ronin had a much smaller role in the season compared to his role in Possession, Skybound and "Day of the Departed." This was due to him breaking his leg in "Scavengers."
- Skales made his return this season, after being absent since "The Corridor of Elders."
- In "Scavengers" Zane mentions that the treadmill was invented in 1818. Despite this, it has been confirmed that the A.D. calendar does not exist in Ninjago, so it was not meant to be taken seriously.
- Many fans have noticed a change in this season's animation style, where the texture of the characters seems to be shinier and less refined.
- It is unknown if this was due to budget or the animation team using a new, unfamiliar software.
- According to Tommy Andreasen in a live-chat hosted by Joshua Deck, production issues during the season's development caused the vendor to be dismissed, but resulted in Sons of Garmadon having a "leap in quality".
- The original end of The Hands of Time was that we would see the ninja 40 years in the future along with their children, in addition to the return of Acronix and Krux.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, there were shorts during the season; however, "they were never released in their original form."
- The clock tower at the opening and closing credits reuses the design of Darkley's Boarding School, using the coloring seen in its concept art. The clock tower never appears in the season or show itself.
- This is the first season to have two ninja as the focus, and also on the boxes.
- Kai and Nya were the focus ninja of this season. Details about Kai and Nya's parents are essential to the main story of it. Despite Kai and Nya being the main characters, they didn't have an equal amount of focus.
- Kai was focused on in Episode 67, where he fought the newly revealed Krux and learned details of his parents.
- Kai and Nya were focused on in Episodes 71, 72, 73 and 74.
- In Episode 71, Kai discovered secrets of his parents through the mark on the Vermillion symbol, while Nya fought the new Samurai X.
- In Episode 72, they met their long lost parents, Ray and Mya, where Kai fought his father after thinking he was a trader. They all were later captured by Acronix and Krux.
- In Episode 73, Kai and Nya traveled to the Boiling Sea where they unlocked the Fusion Dragon and were forced to retrieve the final Time Blade.
- In Episode 74, they followed the Time Twins back in time and later fought them along with the younger Elemental Masters. Kai and Nya luckily escaped, with Wu being kept back.
- This is the second season to focus on Kai (not counting the Pilot Episodes).
- Master Wu had a major role in the season, with many individual moments. His appearance is very frequent, just behind Kai and Nya, as he was also involved in the final battle of the season.
- Lloyd and Jay had greater roles this season than Cole and Zane.
- Lloyd was focused on in Episode 68 where he struggled with his leadership skills.
- Lloyd takes on the role as Master, after being alluded to in "Curseworld, Part II" and "Infamous."
- Following Jay's main role from Skybound, he was focused on in episode 69, about how he rescued his parents, Ed and Edna.
- Cole's struggles with his new found powers and restored human form was shown in the earlier episodes of this season but his role was minor in the later episodes.
- Zane had a minor role in this season but his own struggles with P.I.X.A.L. being missing after he recovered from Krux's attack were shown in the later episodes.
- P.I.X.A.L. had a few appearances in episodes 65-67. Starting from episode 68, she was lost. Her fate was revealed in season 8.
- Skylor had a cameo appearance in episode 71.
- Misako had returned in some capacity in this season in episodes 65-68 and 70-72.
- Garmadon and Morro both returned as hallucinations in the season.
- This season marks the first appearance of Samurai X since "The Temple on Haunted Hill."
- Acronix and Krux served as the main antagonists of the season.
- This is the second season to officially have two main antagonists, with the first one being Legacy of the Green Ninja, which featured Lord Garmadon as the main antagonist of the first half and the Overlord as the main antagonist of the second half.
- General/Supreme Commander Machia served as the secondary antagonist of the season.
- Other important antagonists include Commanders Raggmunk and Blunck.
- The Vermilion were the villainous faction of the season.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS0HM4cSkgM (video title)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8jDKn-RrFs (video title)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL2Be8KHRh0 (video title)
- Tommy Andreasen on Twitter
- https://youtu.be/LCUzfH9eHPk?t=5170 (live-chat)