|“Every adolescent Dragon goes through a transformation before it becomes an adult. We must allow them to migrate east to the Spirit Coves for their transformation.”|
|— Master Wu to Jay in "Snakebit"|
The Spirit Coves is where the four Dragons had migrated to, in order to reach adulthood.
It is a barren rocky land, covered in very tall spikes. It has several hills which the dragons sit on. There are small grass patches growing on the area, and a rocky coastline. It is easy for dragons to crossover to other realms from this area. It holds great significance to the dragons of Ninjago, as it reminds them of their home.
The Ninja try to ride their dragons to reach Ed & Edna's Scrap N Junk. Master Wu tells them that it is time for their dragons to reach their adulthood and go to the Spirit Coves. The Ninja reluctantly let the Dragons fly off, leaving them without transportation.
During the battle between the Ninja and the Great Devourer, the snake was becoming increasingly unstoppable, to the point that it had Nya and Lloyd (piloting the Samurai X Mech) trapped in its mouth. Suddenly, from the skies came a loud roar, which was revealed to be the four dragons that the Ninja had lost to the Spirit Coves sometime earlier. Wisp, Rocky, Flame, and Shard had gone through a metamorphosis together, morphing into a combination of the four dragons.
Later known as the Ultra Dragon, it flew down at the Devourer, knocking Nya and Lloyd out of its mouth. The snake immediately retreated, climbing up a skyscraper, and roaring at its attacker. The Ultra Dragon managed to damage the Great Devourer, flying over it while breathing out separate blasts of its four Elements. This seemed to be gaining the Ninja a great advantage in the battle, but when the Ultra Dragon turned away to swoop back down, the Great Devourer struck back with its massive tail and injured the Dragon brutally.
The Ultra Dragon's brief return
Sometime after the Final Battle, after having just helped Lloyd defeat some Venomari that were attacking a village, the Ultra Dragon flew all the way back to the Spirit Coves. Lloyd followed it with his Golden Dragon, and knew that it wanted to go home. He allowed it to reunite with Firstbourne in the Realm of Oni and Dragons.
- 2. "Green and Gold" (dream)
- Wu was uncertain that the Spirit Coves actually exist, as no living person has proven that they have seen them.
- Lloyd is the only person to see the Spirit Coves.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, the Ultra Dragon later returned to the Spirit Coves after Lloyd's battle with the Overlord.
- In "Green and Gold," the Ultra Dragon returns here in Lloyd's dream, then crosses over into the Realm of Oni and Dragons.
- The Spirit Coves are located in Ninjago, from which the dragons can cross over to other realms.
- The Spirit Coves bear a striking resemblance to the shores of the Realm of Oni and Dragons that the original Ninja and Wu crashed at the end of "Big Trouble, Little Ninjago."