He then eventually decided to conquer Ninjago with an immortal army of puppets by stealing the souls of villagers. During the years, Tanabrax became a living manifestation of darkness due to the medallion's magic. However, he was defeated after being exposed to sunlight by Moody, who turned on him.
Before Wu and Garmadon's journey
Long ago, Tanabrax was a puppeteer. But one day, a djinn's chariot crashed into his theater. During the collision, a magical medallion fell out of the carriage, which was taken by Tanabrax as a fair payment for his destroyed theater. He soon got obsessed with the medallion and tried to figure out how to use it.
After learning how to speak djinn, Tanabrax soon figured out how to use the locket and tested it on Bunch and Moody, who later kidnapped the villagers for Tanabrax so he could turn them into his army of puppets.
The Lair of Tanabrax (flashback)
After Garmadon followed the puppet army to find out where they were taking Wu, he learned that the puppets took him to an underground lair owned by Tanabrax, where Tanabrax was glad that Bunch and Moody brought Wu as another victim to join the puppet army, and quickly made a puppet version of the young ninja.
However, Wu freed himself and prepared to fight the puppet master. But before he could do anything, Tanabrax used the medallion on Wu, stealing his soul and transferring it to the puppet. Moments later, Tanabrax and the puppet army noticed Garmadon, but the latter escaped, taking Moody with him during the process.
His appearance as a living shadow featured him wearing a long black robe for his attire, and has glowing yellow eyes, although they can turn red when he is angry. And instead of feet, he had shadowy tendrils that made him look like he was floating.
- Shadows - Because of being a living manifestation of one, Tanabrax was able to manipulate his own shadows and fight off anyone with a physical form without getting harmed.
- Soul manipulation - While using a magical medallion that originally belonged to a djinn, Tanabrax was able steal the soul from any victim, leaving the victim's body in a dormant state until it fades away.
- Immortality - Because of the usage of the medallion, Tanbrax became a living shadow, allowing him to live for several years until his defeat.
- Sunlight - Due to being made of darkness after using the medallion too much, Tanabrax can't withstand the light from the Sun.
"Tanabrax" is likely derived from "tenebris," the Latin word for darkness.
- The Lair of Tanabrax (flashback)