|“Together, they can reboot the system, wipe the master computer clean, and destroy the Overlord virus for good.”|
When dormant, the Techno Blades lack their distinctive heads and much of their power, being too dull to effectively cut most objects. However, their true power is revealed when in the proximity of a hackable machine; the Blades grow in size, and their blades become sharper and begin glowing. It is then that the Techno Blades truly work as weapons and hacking devices.
The Techno Blades first appeared in "The Surge," concealed in a statue that Cyrus Borg gave to the Ninja when they visited Borg Tower. When the statue was broken, the Ninja were able to grab the Techno Blades, put on their new suits, and use them to escape a mysterious enemy controlling the tower's security system against them.
- Kai's Techno Blade is red and resembles a long axe. He used it to transform a jet into his Kai Fighter.
- Cole's Techno Blade is green and resembles a flail or a whip. He used it to transform a Security Mech into his Earth Mech.
- Zane's Techno Blade is blue (white in the TV series) and resembles a staff. He used it to transform a hover-copter into his Ninja-Copter and turn P.I.X.A.L. good again.
- Jay's Techno Blade is yellow (blue in the TV series) and resembles a chainsaw blade. He used it to transform a Nindroid Tank into his Thunder Raider.
- Cryptor's Techno Blade is neon green and resembles a flail with the Yin Blade's handle. He used it to try to kill Zane in order to take his place amongst the living.
- 70720 Hover Hunter (Green)
- 70721 Kai Fighter (Red)
- 70723 Thunder Raider (Yellow)
- 70724 NinjaCopter (Blue)
- 70726 Destructoid (Blue)
- 70727 X-1 Ninja Charger (Red)
- 70728 Battle for Ninjago City (Blue and Yellow)
- 70596 Samurai X Cave Chaos (Yellow; Departed Blade)
- In the LEGO.com Ninjago: Rebooted Trailer, it seems as if the Ninja got new vehicles by hacking into the systems of ordinary civilian machinery and transforming them into vehicles.
- The LEGO versions of Kai's Techno Blade and Elemental Blade have identical hilts.
- Lloyd is the only Ninja who doesn't have a Techno Blade; according to the Hall of Villainy section on the Ninjago website, he claimed not to mind, but secretly wondered what he might have been able to create with one.
- The Techno Blades disappear from the series after "Enter the Digiverse," possibly because they fulfilled their purpose in "defeating" the Digital Overlord.
- Sinestro from LEGO: DC Comics has a Techno Blade similar to Zane's in his minifigure form, except it is transparent yellow.
- Cole's Techno Blade is the only one available in only one set; however, that set is 70720 Hover Hunter, which is the smallest set of the Rebooted wave, making it fairly cheap to get.
- Although Cryptor's Techno Blade was made with the energy and spirit of one of the four originals, it's unknown which one was used to create it.
- It might be Cole's Blade because both Blades are similar to each other.