|“Zane and I believe that an unexplained energy signal from the deep ocean is responsible for the fluctuations in your powers.”|
“What energy signal?”
“A pulse, of unknown origins.”
|— P.I.X.A.L., Lloyd, and Zane|
|"The Call of the Deep"|
|Season Seabound, Episode 2|
|Air date||April 4, 2021 (Canada)|
|Written by||Bragi Schut|
|Directed by||Wade Cross|
"A Big Splash"
Extended: Maya attempts to take charge of Nya's life by solving her 'little problem' with discipline, healthy eating, and more training, all things that quickly irk Nya - meanwhile, Zane and Pixal respond to a distress call at sea, but a strange energy pulse almost destroys their vehicles. They trace the source of the blast to deep under the ocean and surmise that it may be responsible for the problems with Nya's power.
Maya walks in to wake up Nya early in the morning, only to stop in surprise at the sight of her messy room. She then starts to clean it up and even forces the chicken out while Nya protests in bed. Maya finishes the cleanup and soon pulls a sleepy Nya out to join her in some exercising. Refusing, Nya lies back in bed, hoping this is all a nightmare.
Continuing with Maya’s new routine for Nya, she makes some tofu pancakes and seaweed bacon, much to Nya's annoyance. Afterwards, Maya has Nya perform the water stance, which Nya does so. However, Maya corrects her continuously till the point where Nya openly states that there is nothing wrong with her and her powers. In doing so, she causes a wave of water to splash down on her, proving Maya's point. Furious, Nya walks away to find Wu.
Down in the library, Nya begs Wu to somehow find a reason to get Maya to leave. Wu, however, insists that Maya’s assistance would be quite valuable and Misako joins in, reassuring that Maya only wants to be a mother again. Nya sighs, agreeing, but continues to go on about the things she dislikes of Maya's doings. Wu suggests she go talk to her brother, which at first, Nya refuses, elaborating on how Kai probably loved being treated on, but Misako eventually convinces her to go talk to him.
Much to Nya’s dismay though, Kai and Ray dismissed her easily to face a boss battle in their video game and Kai only paused to take in Maya’s sandwiches, confirming Nya’s earlier claim. She leaves in disgust and finds Lloyd and Cole fixing up the security cameras in the Hangar Bay. After Lloyd tells Nya they are almost finished, she asks about Zane and P.I.X.A.L.’s presence. Cole reluctantly tells her they went on a water rescue mission and Nya sighs knowingly, walking away.
Meanwhile, Zane and P.I.X.A.L. fly overhead discussing Nya’s absence and the danger she would have possessed to the mission. They arrive at a startling scene of an octopus attacking a fisher ship. P.I.X.A.L. attempts to reason with the octopus, who is now attacking her, while Zane rescues the sailors. A strange pulse suddenly emerges from the depths below and both their vehicles come crashing down. The energy pulse continues to stream throughout all of Ninjago and ends up causing an aquatic mayhem back at the monastery. Zane manages to rise to the surface but P.I.X.A.L. continues to sink below. After failing to catch a cord he sent down, the mech starts to crack due to depth levels. However, P.I.X.A.L. manages to reboot the mech in time and rises out of the water. Zane soon traces the source of the energy pulse and relays to P.I.X.A.L. that they need to warn the others on what they found.
They return to the monastery and find Nya gloomily apologizing for causing the water havoc everyone was sponging up. But P.I.X.A.L. interrupts her and informs everyone about their discovery of a possible unknown explanation to Nya’s powers located in the Tartarus Trench. Wu then asks P.I.X.A.L. about a submarine she built long ago and finally announces that it is time to bring the untested Hydro Bounty online.
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Maya - Jillian Michaels
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- P.I.X.A.L. - Jennifer Hayward
- Ray - Vincent Tong
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- Endless Sea
- Narrator: P.I.X.A.L.
- Maya wakes Nya up at 6:00 a.m., while Lloyd's training schedule, according to The Book of Spinjitzu, had him wake up at 5:00 a.m.
- However, Nya still considers it getting up too early, which may indicate that she has never had a schedule like Lloyd's, or has not been used to it lately.
- This is the second time a minifigure (in this case, Maya) has been shown doing jumping jacks, the first time being with Emmet in The LEGO Movie. Maya appears more as a normal person would, because Ninjago characters are not as restricted to the real-world movement of a minifigure as the LEGO movie characters are.
- This episode marks the first appearance of the Bell of Divinity since "Questing for Quests."
- Zane's ShuriCopter makes its first appearance since "Vengeance is Mine!" and P.I.X.A.L.'s upgraded Samurai Mech since "The Kaiju Protocol", making them the fourth and fift vehicle to still be used since Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu.
- The Kai and Nya family theme returns in this episode, having last appeared in "Endings." It appears with a less dramatic rendition in this episode.
- This is the first time Ray's design is visible in WildBrain animation. Although Ray appeared in the previous episode, he was not visible as he was wrapped in luggage.
- This is the second time that a ninja's room is shown, specifically Nya's. The first time was first in "Wasted True Potential," when Zane's room was shown.
- The toilet also appears for the first time, although one was previously visible in "Rise of the Snakes" in the old monastery.
- This is the second episode to specifically allude to a character's age range, the first being "The Gilded Path." In this case, Misako refers to Kai as "a grown man," implying he is legally an adult.
- The boat being attacked by an octopus bears a striking resemblance to the Police Commissioner's model boat.
- The octopus is somewhat reminiscent of the Leviathan.
- Nya's weapon from Master of the Mountain can be seen below her main spear.
- Nya's training with the bucket of water is the same method used back in "Stiix and Stones."
- Maya is aware of the existence of the Minos, as she tells her daughter not to breathe like one.
- When P.I.X.A.L. is trying to persuade the octopus to stop its activity before she attacks, she does so in a similar way as to the Preeminent in "The Kaiju Protocol."
- Wu says P.I.X.A.L. built the Hydro Bounty "a number of years ago." This means it has been a number of years since P.I.X.A.L. regained her body in The Hands of Time.
- When Maya finishes cleaning Nya's room, there is a clock behind her, which reads 1:50. However, Maya claims it is 6:00 a.m..
- It's possible the clock is broken, seeing that the entire scene was talking about how Nya's room was a complete mess.
- In the last shot at Wu, when he says that the ninja are going diving, his cape is missing.
For the gallery of the episode, click here.