The Darkness Comes is the first episode of the tenth season of Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu and the 95th episode overall. It aired in New Zealand on January 19, 2019, April 6, 2019 in Canada, and on April 19, 2019, in the United States, with the rest of Season 10 as a film.
As NINJAGO City rebuilds, Faith arrives with a dire warning that the Oni have returned and are destroying the realms, one by one. NINJAGO must prepare, and Lloyd faces the possibility that to defeat this foe, he may need the help of another enemy.
Extended: Lord Garmadon tells Lloyd that the "Bringers of Doom" are coming and Lloyd is going to need his help if the world is to survive. Meanwhile, the Commissioner of NINJAGO City presents the ninja with a new Destiny's Bounty, rebuilt from the original blueprints. A battered Faith suddenly appears riding Firstboune. She warns that a darkness has spread over the realm of Oni and Dragon and Master Wu deduces that the Oni are responsible. Back in NINJAGO City, the Oni use the Realm Crystal to enter the NINJAGO world. A black cloud spreads over the city, frightening the populace.
Noble shows Lloyd to Garmadon's wing, stating it was built just for him. After unlocking the entrance, he runs off, leaving Lloyd to confront Garmadon by himself. When he reminds Garmadon that he had requested to see Lloyd, Garmadon claimed that it was unusual. When Lloyd threatened to leave, Garmadon remembered and told him that the Bringers of Doom were coming and that although he didn't care, he would rather not be destroyed along with Lloyd. He said that he had decided to help the ninja defeat them and that he was the only one powerful enough to do so. Lloyd refuses his offer and angrily storms off, but Garmadon assured him that he will come back.
Meanwhile, the citizens rebuild Ninjago City while Cole, Zane, and P.I.X.A.L. wait in traffic, complaining that they're thirty minutes late. They wanted to use the Earth Driller to dig under the road, but it was new, so the trio decided to get out of the Earth Driller and run to their destination. Once they arrived, the Police Commissioner gave a speech and presented them with a rebuilt Destiny's Bounty as a reward for saving Ninjago.
At the Monastery, Jay is practicing how to ask Nya to be his Yang with Kai. Kai tells him to be confident, but Jay says it doesn't sound right. Suddenly, Dareth bursts in and asks them what's happening. Kai explains it to him and tells him to keep it a secret. Nya comes in and tells them that Wu is in the courtyard looking at the new Mural. They went outside to join him, witnessing Firstbourne crashing near the base of the mountains. They went down to check on her, but she opened her claws and let Faith fall out. Faith informed them that "Darkness was coming" and they took her inside of the Monastery to heal. The rest of the ninjas arrive. Wu said that both Faith and Firstbourne would heal and continued explaining what Faith had told him.
A cloud of darkness had overtaken her home realm, and whoever touched it had been petrified. Lloyd told the others what Garmadon had said. Wu showed them his father's book containing a picture of The Omega. He said that his father had called them the "Bringers of Doom." The ninja head out to warn the city.
Meanwhile, in Borg Tower, a watchman explains to his partner that artifacts from Hiroshi's Labyrinth had been relocated to the tower because it has better security. Unbeknownst to them, darkness escaped from the Realm Crystal and started to engulf the tower. The two escaped and wheeled Borg out while the other citizens evacuated.
The ninja arrived at the Bounty and admired it. When they tried to fly, they realized that the thrust lever was wired backward. After Zane fixed the label, they took off.
The Commissioner was working on a model boat, but an officer came in and told him that there was trouble in Ninjago. In the city, the dark clouds started petrifying everyone in its path. Zane claimed that they were too late and the ninja sped off to rescue the people. The Commissioner and cops tried to stop the darkness, but without proper weapons, they had to back away. Fortunately, the ninja arrived in time to save them and helped them up to the Bounty. The ninja's Elemental Powers had no effect on the darkness, even when they used them together, and they also had to evacuate. Cole was grabbed by one of the tentacles, but Lloyd saved him. They saved more citizens, and Cole explained what the tentacle felt like. He said that he saw something inside the cloud that looked like an Oni, so the ninja went back to Kryptarium to get Garmadon. Without another choice, they release him from prison.
- Automated Voice - Kelly Metzger
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Cop #1 - Brent Miller
- Cop #2 - Michael Adamthwaite
- Cop #3 - Kirby Morrow
- Dareth - Alan Marriott
- Garmadon - Mark Oliver
- Generic Man - Michael Donovan
- Generic Worker - Zach LeBlanc
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Jimmy - Daniel Doheny
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Newbie Guard - Zach LeBlanc
- Noble - Paul Dobson
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- Officer - Vincent Tong
- Old Guard - Doc Harris
- P.I.X.A.L. - Jennifer Hayward
- Police Commissioner - Michael Donovan
- Rufus McCallister - Paul Dobson
- Tourist Dad - Michael Adamthwaite
- Tourist Kid - Kai Emmett
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
- Harumi (painting)
- Iron Baron (voice; painting)
- Colossus (painting)
- Acronix (painting)
- Krux (painting)
- Ray (painting)
- Maya (painting)
- Clouse (painting)
- Nadakhan (voice; painting)
- Morro (painting)
- Ghoultar (painting)
- Soul Archer (painting)
- Ronin (painting)
- Chen (painting)
- The Overlord (painting)
- Cryptor (painting)
- Min-Droid (painting)
- Kozu (painting)
- Giant Stone Warrior (painting)
- Pythor (painting)
- Skales (painting)
- Acidicus (painting)
- Fangtom (painting)
- Skalidor (painting)
- Samukai (painting)
- Kruncha (painting)
- Nuckal (painting)
- Destiny's Bounty
- Blade Cycle (painting)
- Golden Master's mech (painting)
- Storm Glider (painting)
- Snowmobile (painting)
- Tread Assault (painting)
- Earth Driller (painting)
- Iron Doom (painting)
- Oni's invasion
- Fall of Ninjago (painting)
- Alternate timeline (painting)
- Ghost invasion (painting)
- Second Serpentine War (painting)
- Nindroid crisis (painting)
- The Final Battle (painting)
- Attack of the Great Devourer (painting)
- Aeroblades (painting)
- Artificial limbs (painting)
- Djinn Blade (painting)
- Dragon Armor (painting)
- Dragonbone Blade (painting)
- Golden Weapons/Mega Weapon/Golden Armor (painting)
- Bo staff (painting)
- Realm Crystal
- Oni Mask of Hatred (painting)
- Serpentine Staffs (painting)
- Techno Blades (painting)
- Time Blades (painting)
- Ninjago (realm)
- Realm of Oni and Dragons (painting)
- Djinns (painting)
- Ghosts (painting)
- Oni/Dragon/Human hybrids
- Shadows (painting)
- Serpentine (painting)
- Skulkin (painting)
- Stone Warriors (painting)
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- In the book that Wu pulls out, the Omega is shown having a staff that bears a notably similar design to Borg Tower.
- When March of the Oni aired in the US, Faith's explanation about the Darkness is edited in "Endings" as the Dark cloud consumes Ninjago City.
- The words on Garmadon's magazine reads "Villain of the Year 2ime," the "2ime" possibly meaning "two-time." It also features Garmadon's face, presumably meaning that he won "Villain of the Year" twice.
- After "Home", "The Rise of the Great Devourer", "The Last Hope", "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master", "The Art of the Silent Fist", "The Greatest Fear of All", "A Line in the Sand" and "Out of the Fire and Into the Boiling Sea" the Wilhelm scream is heard for the ninth time in the series, by a civilian falling into the darkness.
- This is the third season premiere to recount the previous episode.
- This is the first season premiere to have an intro sequence since "The Surge."
- This is the third episode with a name including the word "Darkness," the others being "Darkness Shall Rise" and "Island of Darkness" in Season 2.
- Kryptarium Prison has built a special cell for Garmadon, naming it cell one. It is the most heavily protected cell in the prison.
- The Destiny's Bounty has been rebuilt from the blueprints that Rufus McCallister mysteriously obtained.
- It is unknown how there is a mural of the Sky Pirates and Nadakhan when the events of Skybound were erased from existence.
- When the ninja are observing the Skybound mural, Kai and Dareth look at each other, confused.
- Tommy Andreasen gave a few rhetorical questions on Twitter to imply some possible explanation for the existence of the Skybound mural:
- Who wrote the 'Book of Spinjitzu'?
- When was it written?
- What information is in it?
- How could he know?
- Faith and Firstbourne enter Ninjago, this being the first time for Faith.
- The Realm Crystal, along with other artifacts, were transferred from Hiroshi's Labyrinth Stronghold to the basement of Borg Industries because the tower had better security.
- It is revealed that those touched by the darkness become frozen in place like statues.
- The magazine Garmadon is reading in his cell translates to "Time," which is likely a reference to the real-life magazine of the same name.
- Cyrus Borg, Faith, Vinny, and the Omega appear in this episode but don't speak.
- When the Commissioner tells the Ninjago City Police to draw their weapons, an officer says "We only have tasers, remember?" This is a reference to a similar scene in "Dread on Arrival".
- At the beginning of the episode, a scene appears in which Mystake's Tea Shop is being rebuilt with an inscription from Steeper Wisdom and a large teapot logo from Steep Wisdom.
- Jay's underwear can be seen on the tree in the room when Jay talks to Kai about his future Yin-Yang promise to Nya. This calls back to "The Oni and the Dragon" when Harumi found Jay's underwear left on the Destiny's Bounty.
- When Cole got into the car, he opened both rear doors. When he leaves, both rear doors seem to be closed.
- In the last shot of the ninja on the Bounty, Zane's hair is misaligned with his head.
- When Jay is trying to grab the Yin Yang medallion from Kai, their suit colors are switched so it looks like Kai is trying to grab it. It fixes itself in the next shot.
- Despite the enormous height of the mountains, when Firstbourne and Faith came to Ninjago and fall under the mountains, Wu and the ninja run down the stairs surprisingly fast.
- When Wu admires the Monastery Mural, his staff shortens. This error was previously seen in the first episode of the series.
- At the beginning of the episode, the monks carry the monastery door up the stairs, even though it was already there in Tales from the Monastery of Spinjitzu.
- In the credits, Garmadon is listed as Emperor Garmadon though he is no longer an emperor, and Alan Marriott is misspelled "Alan Marriot." Tourist Dad is also misspelled "Turist Dad."
For the gallery of the episode, click here.
- File:MoS95 Jay Kai, & Wu.jpg