|“If you were to enter the Darkness, you would succumb to it. The only way to defeat an Oni is with another Oni. You need me.”|
|— Garmadon, to the Ninja|
|"The Darkness Comes"|
|Season 10, Episode 1|
|Air date|| January 19, 2019 (New Zealand)|
April 6, 2019 (Canada)
April 19, 2019 (USA)
"Into the Breach"
The Darkness Comes is the first episode of the tenth season, and the 95th overall of LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu. It aired in New Zealand on January 19, 2019 and on April 19, 2019 in the United States as a film.
As Ninjago City rebuilds, Faith arrives with a dire warning that the Oni have returned and are destroying the realms, one by one; Lloyd faces the possibility that to defeat this foe, he may need the help of another enemy.
Noble shows Lloyd to Garmadon's wing, stating it was built just for him. After unlocking the entrance, he runs off, leaving Lloyd to confront him by himself. When he reminded Garmadon he requested to see him, he claimed that doesn't sound like him. When Lloyd was about to leave, Garmadon remembered and told him the Bringers of Doom was coming and although he didn't care, he would rather not be destroyed along with him and decided to help him defeat them instead since he is powerful enough. Lloyd refused his offer and angrily storms off, but Garmadon assured he will come back for him.
Meanwhile, the citizens rebuild Ninjago while Cole, Zane, and P.I.X.A.L. wait in traffic, saying they are thirty minutes late. Instead of ruining the road the city just rebuilt, the trio get out of the Earth Driller and run to Ninjago Harbor. Once they got there, the Police Commissioner gives a speech and presents them with a rebuilt Destiny's Bounty in return for saving Ninjago. They are delighted and asked where the other Ninja are, but Zane said Jay was busy.
At the Monastery, Jay practices how to ask Nya to be his Yang on Kai. Kai tells him to be confident, but Jay says it doesn't sound right. Suddenly, Dareth bursts in and asked what's happening. Kai explained to him and told him to keep it a secret, but Nya came in and told them Wu is in the courtyard looking at the new Monastery Murals. They went outside to accompany him, but witnessed Firstbourne crashing near the base of the mountains. They went down to check on her, but she opened her claws and Faith falls off. She informed them that "Darkness was coming" and they took her inside the Monastery to heal, with the rest of the Ninja joining them. He said both of them will heal and continued explaining what Faith told him. A cloud of darkness overtook her homerealm and whoever touched it would be petrified. Lloyd told him what Garmadon said and Wu showed them a book containing a picture of an Oni. He said his father called them the "Bringers of Doom" and the Ninja head out to warn the city.
Meanwhile, in Borg Tower, a watchman explained to his partner that artifacts from Hiroshi's Labyrinth are relocated to the tower because it has higher security. Unbeknownst to them, darkness escaped from the Realm Crystal and started to engulf the tower. The two escaped and wheeled Borg out while the other citizens evacuated.
The Ninja arrived to the Bounty and after admiring it, they realized the thrust lever was wired the opposite way. After Zane fixed the label, they took off.
While the Commissioner was working on a model ship, an officer told him there's trouble in Ninjago. In the city, the dark clouds started petrifying everyone in its path. Zane claimed they are too late and sped off to rescue the people. The Commissioner and cops tried to stop the darkness, but without proper weapons, they had to back away. Fortunately, the Ninja arrived in time to save them and helped them up the Bounty. Their Elemental Powers have no effect on them, even when they used it together, and they also had to evacuate. Cole was grabbed by one of the tentacles and Lloyd saved him. They saved more citizens, and Cole explained what the tentacle felt like. He said it looked like an Oni, so the Ninja went back to Kryptarium to get Garmadon. Without a choice, they release him from prison.
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Dareth - Alan Marriott
- Garmadon - Mark Oliver
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Jimmy - Daniel Doheny
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Rufus MacAllister - Paul Dobson
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- P.I.X.A.L. - Jennifer Hayward
- Police Commissioner - Michael Donovan
- Noble - Paul Dobson
- Tourist Dad - Michael Adamthwaite
- Warden Noble - Michael Adamthwaite
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- In the Sons of Garmadon intro "panel," Lloyd is dressed in his Hunted suit. Inversely, in the Hunted intro "panel," Lloyd is dressed in his Sons of Garmadon suit.
- In the intro sequence, the Dark Island Trilogy is shown before Skybound, when they should be in the opposite order.
- When Cole got in the car, he opened both rear doors. When he leaves, both rear doors seem to be closed.
- Cole is the intro reader of the season.
- Kryptarium Prison has built a special cell for Garmadon.
- The Destiny's Bounty has been rebuilt from the blueprints that Rufus MacAllister mysteriously obtained.
- Faith and Firstbourne enter Ninjago, this being the first time for Faith.
- In the book Wu pulls out, the pictured Oni is shown having a staff that bears a notably similar design to Borg Tower.
- The Realm Crystal, along with other artifacts, were transferred from the Hiroshi Labyrinth Stronghold to the basement of Borg Industries because of higher security.
- This is the third season premiere to recount the previous episode.
- It is revealed that those touched by the darkness become frozen in place like statues.
- This is the third episode with a name including the word "Darkness"; the others are "Darkness Shall Rise" and "Island of Darkness" in Season 2.
- The magazine Garmadon is reading in his cell translates to "Time," which is likely a reference to the real life magazine of the same name.
- The Wilhelm Scream was heard for the first time since "A Line in the Sand."
- Wu is revealed to know of the events of Skybound.
- Nya wears her brand new kimono in this episode.
- This is the first season premiere to have an intro sequence since "The Surge."
- This is the first appearance of Cyrus Borg since "Lost in Time".
- When March of the Oni aired in the US, Faith's explanation about the Darkness in "Endings" is edited in as the Dark cloud consumes Ninjago City.