|“When we find the weapons, we will find your sister. It is time! We must go to the first weapon!”|
|— Wu to Kai|
|"The Golden Weapon"|
|Season Pilot, Episode 2|
|Air date||January 14, 2011|
|Written by||Dan & Kevin Hageman|
|Directed by||Michael Hegner & Justin Murphy|
"Way of the Ninja"
"King of Shadows"
While Kai was brushing his teeth, three mysterious ninja began to attack him. After a short battle, he was thrown onto the training course, Master Wu soon entered the course and revealed that they were his students. He performed Spinjitzu, giving them each differently colored ninja suits to represent their elements: Cole, the Black Ninja of Earth, who has a fear of dragons; Jay, the Blue Ninja of Lightning, a bragging inventor; Zane, the White Ninja of Ice, who doesn't have a sense of humor; and Kai, the Red Ninja of Fire. Jay became interested in the mission when he learned about Nya, though he was warned by Kai to back off.
The next morning, they traveled to the Caves of Despair to find the Scythe of Quakes, pulling a horse carriage with Wu inside of it. Along the way, Kai questioned how the others were found by Master Wu. Cole stated that he was testing his strength by rock-climbing up a mountain, Jay says he was in Ninjago City testing homemade wings and Zane says he was testing himself by breathing underwater at an ice-cold temperature; in all those scenarios, Master Wu was there, drinking tea.
Arriving at the Caves, Master Wu warned the ninja not to use the Scythe upon retrieval, fearing they would not be able to handle its power. After stealing back the map that contained the locations of the Golden Weapons, they entered the cave and found the Scythe. Upon leaving, however, they were ambushed by Samukai and his Skeleton army. While fighting the Skulkin, Jay mentioned that fighting them felt like the training course back at the Monastery, and in going through the motions, Jay unlocked his Spinjitzu. Not long after, the other three ninja unlocked theirs as well.
The ninja defeated the Skulkins easily but were soon faced with the Guardian of the Scythe, the Earth Dragon. As they were unable to defeat it themselves, Kai used the Scythe, despite the warnings of his teammates and defeated the Earth Dragon; the ninja barely managed to escape. Outside, Master Wu was sorely disappointed in Kai and scolded him for putting the others in danger.
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Garmadon - Mark Oliver
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- This episode along, with "Way of the Ninja" and "King of Shadows," is featured in the episode "Wrong Place, Wrong Time."
- This is the only episode in the Pilot Season not to have "of" in the title.
- The scene of the ninja pulling Wu in the rickshaw is mentioned in "The Gilded Path."
- Some airings of this episode place "Way of the Ninja" and this together as a single episode, due to the combined time length being 22 minutes, the normal length of an episode until Season 11.
- During the flashback of Wu finding Zane, he appears to be drinking tea underwater, even though this would be impossible. This was likely done as a joke.
- When the three ninja come into Kai's room at the monastery, Cole has Zane's eyebrows.
- While Kai and Cole are rolling on the ground during their fight, Cole is wearing his Earth Ninja gi as opposed to his original plain one.
For the gallery of the episode, click here.