- Not to be confused with the mask.
|“Whenever he is, it's been a year. It's time we find him.”|
|— Cole to Jay|
|"The Mask of Deception"|
|Season 8, Episode 1|
|Air date|| January 20, 2018 (Australia)|
April 2, 2018 (UK)
April 16, 2018 (USA)
|Written by|| Dan & Kevin Hageman|
"Lost in Time"
"The Jade Princess"
The Mask of Deception is the first episode of the eighth season and the 75th episode overall of LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu. It was released on January 20, 2018 in Australia, and was released in the United States on April 16, 2018.
When an unknown criminal syndicate threatens the Royal Family, the Ninja are called back into action and must protect the royal princess and a fabled artifact that may hold supernatural powers.
One year has passed since Krux, Acronix, and Master Wu were all lost in time. During the Dragon Day celebration in downtown Ninjago City, six masked members of the Sons of Garmadon infiltrate Borg Tower and steal the Oni Mask of Vengeance. While leaving, they are confronted by Lloyd, who fights and overpowers three of them and manages to get one of them arrested. However, Mr. E manages to escape with the Oni Mask after a big chase in Lloyd's Ninja Nightcrawler, causing Lloyd to tell P.I.X.A.L. it was time to get the crew back together.
The other Ninja are on various missions around Ninjago. Nya is dealing with a group of samurais in a valley, Cole and Jay are searching for Master Wu at an ancient temple, and Kai and Zane are battling the Mechanic.
Once the Ninja team gets back together, Hutchins appears and tells the Ninja about the Oni Masks. The Ninja are then told that the Royal Palace is holding the Oni Mask of Deception. Hutchins fears the Sons of Garmadon will try to take the mask during a speech the Emperor of Ninjago will give tomorrow and asks the Ninja to help protect it, and the Ninja accept.
While they are guarding the palace outside during the Emperor of Ninjago's speech, Lloyd notices Harumi. Someone sets off firecrackers, leading the Ninja to think the palace is being attacked, but it is a false alarm. The Ninja are then invited by the princess to stay at the palace because the Royal Family may be targeted since they have one of the Oni Masks. The Ninja accept the invitation.
Hutchins takes the Ninja on a tour of the palace after they agree to protect the Royal Family. They meet the family who greet them in a kind manner before Harumi herself greets them, stating she was fans of all of them, even changing Nya's cynical attitude to a happy one. They visit the royal buffet and Hutchins states that they have access to eat anything like assorted fruits, assorted vegetables, scones and cake. Jay then states that Cole "gave up sweets" due to the fact that Master Wu is gone. Proceeding on the tour, Hutchins tells the Ninja there are many secret passages in the palace that only the Royal Family know. After hearing this, Kai starts pulling books off the shelves, trying to find one of the passages, but only succeeding in making a mess. The Ninja are now lead into the main room where the Oni Mask of Deception is being held. Hutchins starts to explain about the mask, but while he is, Lloyd sneaks off to a room to find Harumi doing her makeup. Harumi notices Lloyd through her mirror and she quickly hides her face. Lloyd backs away awkwardly and rejoins the group.
During the night, all the Ninja are on guard. Kai and Nya are outside the castle when they notice Hutchins suspiciously walking away from the palace. He then notices them and walks back inside. Jay, Cole, and Zane are in the royal buffet room. Jay is trying to convince Cole to eat some cake but Cole refuses. Cole then proceeds to tell Zane what a "party pooper" is. Meanwhile, Lloyd looks at the Mask of Deception, but after calling out for Harumi, he notices she is missing after checking her room.
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Emperor of Ninjago - Richard Newman
- Empress of Ninjago - Ellen Kennedy
- Harumi - Britt McKillip
- Hutchins - Alan Marriott
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- The Mechanic - Alan Marriott
- Zane - Brent Miller
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- This is Princess Harumi's first appearance.
- Eleven minutes of this episode were released as a sneak peak on the Blu-ray release of The LEGO Ninjago Movie. A sneak-peek of this episode was also shown at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con.
- Lloyd replaces Master Wu as the narrator of the episode titles. Excluding "Decoded," this is the first time in the show that someone else other than Master Wu has narrated the episode titles.
- Several things are revealed in this episode:
- The Mechanic has a cameo in this episode but this time with a different voice actor.
- There is a statue of Khanjikhan behind glass in Borg Tower, despite the events of Season 6 being erased.
- There is a Mega Monster Amusement Park mask behind glass.
- This is the first episode in which Sam Vincent voices Lloyd.
- P.I.X.A.L. returns, acting as a guide to Lloyd in his Ninja Nightcrawler in his chase with Mr. E.
- Nya has a new civilian outfit similar to hers from The LEGO Ninjago Movie.
- Cole speculates the possibility that if Wu was sent to the past, then a ripple effect could have caused their appearances to change without their knowledge, referencing their design changes. However, in the following episodes, the Ninjas' old designs are still seen in the character's newly animated flashbacks and photos. The Hageman Brothers stated that it is the canonical explanation for the Ninjas' redesigns, but according to Tommy Andreasen, there is no real canonical reason and it is simply a fourth-wall-breaking meta joke.
- Lloyd was seen peeking in on Princess Harumi doing make-up, which is hypocritical of him given the situation in "Only One Can Remain," where Kai and Jay were spying on Skylor and Lloyd called it an invasion of privacy.
- The only Oni Mask not to appear in this episode is the Oni Mask of Hatred. This is due to it being in the Oni Temple.
- The suits the Sons of Garmadon wear has the same colour scheme to the Ninja's suits.
- It is unknown why the episode was called The Mask Of Deception if the Mask of Vengeance had a greater role.
- The beginning of this episode foreshadows the finale of the season with Mr. E jumping off the cliff and at the end of the season and with Lloyd jumping off the monorail.
- This is the first episode to have the name of the season in its title card.
- When Mr. E and the other Sons of Garmadon members are running across the monorail, the train has the Sons of Garmadon symbol on it, which you can see if you pause the video at the right time.
- When Mr. E jumps off his bike, he does not take his mask with him. When he is on the boat, he gets it somehow.
- ↑ https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=EK4zDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PT6
- ↑ https://twitter.com/brothershageman/status/889507792632950784
- ↑ https://twitter.com/brothershageman/status/941004237885992960
- ↑ https://twitter.com/TommyAndreasen/status/1017109278128328705