|"The Tale of Benthomaar"|
|Season 14, Episode 8|
|Air date||April 25, 2021 (Canada)|
April 26, 2021 (UK)
|Written by||Kevin Burke and Chris Wyatt|
|Directed by||Wade Cross|
"Escape from Merlopia"
"The Storm Amulet"
Extended: A flashback tells the tragic tale of Benthomaar - King Trimaar finds Benthomaar as a baby and adopts him as his own, and as Benthomaar grows older, he tries hard to earn his brother's affection, but Kalmaar has no interest as he's obsessed with finding Wojira. Kalmaar eventually betrays Benthomaar's trust by tricking him into swimming through dangerous sulphur vents to find Wojira's Temple.
A younger Kalmaar & Trimaar travel along the sea, until they come across a sunken ship, with Kalmaar excited about it, Trimaar tells him to be careful. But Kalmaar accuses him of trying detour their conversation of Wojira. Trimaar tells him that he wishes not to talk about her and about the threat she posed to the surface and ocean. Kalmaar asks if the serpent could be awakened then Trimaar sees 2 eels heading somewhere and chases after them. Kalmaar is annoyed that his father keeps trying to change the subject and follows as well.
They are surrounding Benthomaar and Trimaar jumps in to help. He fearless fought the eels and scared them off. He gets the young Benthomaar out of the coral and adopts him. As time passed, Benthomaar was treated as if he was Trimaar’s own son. Benthomaar was always trying to get his brother’s love but was always denied and started worrying that he may never get it. One day, Kalmaar met with his father in the throne room and asks if the Temple of Wojira is real. Angry, Trimaar forbids him from going to the Tartarus Trench.
In his room, Kalmaar is talking with Gripe and is angry with his father. Gripe tells him that the king may have a point that it is dangerous. This gives Kalmaar the idea of tricking Benthomaar. Benthomaar is practicing his shots and Kalmaar comes in. He tells him to that he is sorry, for denying him love and that what he did was silly and asks for forgiveness. Benthomaar agrees and hugs to Kalmaar’s disgust. He convinces Benthomaar to go traveling with him into the trench.
Benthomaar has some worries about going in there but Kalmaar manipulates him into going forward. During the travel, Benthomaar almost gets hurt when a geyser hits him and defending Kalmaar from an eel. They make it to the temple and Benthomaar asks what they should do now, Kalmaar shows his true colors and tells Benthomaar that he was never will never be his brother and sends him off.
An upset Benthomaar, hopes whatever is in the Temple makes him happy, but before saying ‘brother’ he cuts himself and says ‘Kalmaar’. In the present, Benthomaar is sad that Trimaar is the only one who ever cared about him and that he is dead, but Nya & Lloyd promise him that he isn’t alone and that they care for him. Benthomaar is happy at this and the Ninja continue their journey to the Island of the Keepers.
- Benthomaar - Cole Howard
- Gripe - Brian Drummond
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kalmaar - Giles Panton
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- Trimaar - Ron Halder
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- Endless Sea
- Narrator: Benthomaar
- This is the fifteenth episode to have a character's name mentioned in the title. The other fourteen are "Return of the Overlord," "Codename: Arcturus," "My Dinner With Nadakhan," "Saving Faith," "Krag's Lament," "Superstar Rockin' Jay, "I am Okino," "Racer Seven," "The Skull Sorcerer," "Grief-Bringer," "The Son of Lilly," "The Gift of Jay," "The Tooth of Wojira," and "The Wrath of Kalmaar."
- Zane, P.I.X.A.L., and Maya make non-speaking appearances in this episode.
- Kalmaar says "guinea fish", which is a play on the term "guinea pig".
- Trimaar says "Undersea Biscuit" which is a reference to a real race horse named Seabiscuit.
- At the end of the episode, Lloyd says to Benthomaar, "We can't pick our family, but we can pick our friends. And I'm proud to call you a friend." This is very similar to what Lloyd said at the beginning of "The Day of the Dragon" to console Kai about Skylor's being capture, that being, "She wasn't able to pick her family, but she was able to pick her friends. And since you're her friend, that means so are we."
- This episode is similar to "The Last of the Formlings," as both episodes take place almost entirely in a flashback that shows the life of a new ally of the ninja.
- This is the first time Nya refers to Kalmaar by his real name.
- This episode marks the second time a character in the series reuses a ninja's redesign hairstyle.
For the gallery of the episode, click here.