|“I am Nya. I am the sea. We are one.”|
|— Nya to the ninja|
|"The Turn of the Tide"|
|Season Seabound, Episode 16|
|Air date||April 30, 2021 (UK)|
May 23, 2021 (Canada)
|Written by||Bragi Schut|
|Directed by||Wade Cross and Shane Poettcker|
Extended: Prince Kalmaar and Wojira battle Nya while Benthomaar and the other ninjas do their best to help - eventually, Kalmaar's temper finally rankles Wojira, who turns on him and devours him whole. Just as she turns on the ninjas, Nya fulfils her destiny and pries the amulet from Wojira's head, defeating her - however, it's too late for Nya, who says goodbye and dives into the ocean...
The ninja arrive at the scene and Jay calls out to Nya. She lowers her guard at Jay's voice and Kalmaar seizes the opportunity to zap Nya, disintegrating her. The ninja cry out, horrified at what just happened. Kalmaar then commands Wojira to attack the ninja; Jay and Wu end up knocked back by her powers. Enraged, Jay takes Wu's staff and attacks Kalmaar directly. The Maaray Guards arrive soon after and a battle between them and the ninja occurs. Jay continues to fight Kalmaar but is easily defeated. Just as Kalmaar is about to zap him, Benthomaar with a screech, lands on Kalmaar from behind. Brother versus brother, they fight atop Wojira, and Benthomaar manages to destroy Kalmaar's trident, severing his control over Wojira. Kalmaar furiously strikes Wojira's amulet continuously, screaming at her to destroy the ninja. In response, she flings him up into the air and consumes him whole.
Wojira then proceeds to destroy the ninja but a blast of water throws off her powers. She turns around and sees a water dragon, revealed to be Nya herself. The shocked ninja watch as Nya faces off against Wojira. Eventually, Wojira is able to disintegrate Nya by calling on the powers of the Storm Amulet and turns towards the ninja to finish them off. However, a rainstorm begins as Nya reforms herself. She dives at Wojira and strikes the Wave Amulet, destroying it and sending a pulse of energy throughout all of Ninjago. Wojira loses her control over the Storm Amulet and is electrocuted by her own powers, destroying her.
The enemy defeated, Nya emerges from the water and lands on the rooftop. The others congratulate her, but notice that she is behaving abnormally. She turns to leave while Jay and Wu desperately beg her to stop, to no avail. Jay declares his love for her, and she asks him to tell Maya that she understands now - "That's the way the cookie crumbles," then dives into the sea as Jay screams her name. She emerges for one last time, returning the sea level to normal, then reenters the ocean and disappears.
Later at the Monastery, Jay cries as he studies a photo of him and Nya together, and he and Maya comfort each other. Cole and Kai come up behind them, and Jay and Cole head towards the courtyard. Jay remarks that he wants everyone to know what Nya did, and hopes that Skylor and Dareth will show up to pay respects. The two are then surprised to see that nearly everyone they had encountered throughout their adventures was present, and the crowd is so large that it trails down the steps of the Mountains of Impossible Height. As Wu makes a speech to commemorate Nya, everyone mourns together.
Out in the Endless Sea, Nya is swimming with the whales, laughing and whooping happily as she does so before speeding off into the depths of the ocean.
- Benthomaar - Cole Howard
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Gripe - Brian Drummond
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Kalmaar - Giles Panton
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Maya - Jillian Michaels
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- Wu - Paul Dobson
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- Endless Sea
- Narrator: Wu
- Kalmaar's death was similar to Pythor's assumed death in "Day of the Great Devourer."
- Nya's departure fulfills a possibility mentioned by Tommy Andreasen in his interview with Brent Miller in 2018: Andreasen stated that he thought Jay and Nya would be together forever "unless we want to shake that up because of some story plot point at some point".
- Several characters from past seasons make their returns at Nya's eulogy. They include: Skylor, Dareth, Ed, Edna, Skales, Acidicus, Clutch Powers, Dwayne, Unagami, Milton Dyer, Okino, Racer Seven, Vania, Hailmar, Murtessa, Gulch, Twitchy Tim, Gayle Gossip, Antonia, Murt, Nelson, Ronin, the Explorers Club, the Upply, a monk, and a Beaver from Chima.
- Ed and Edna use designs from The LEGO Ninjago Movie, but without the aprons. Edna also has different hair piece.
- When asked about Ed and Edna's lack of appearances in recent seasons, Tommy Andreasen had said, "They aren’t exactly crucial characters. But I guess they would show up at an important event like a marriage or a funeral."
- Cole's line to Nya, "I knew you could do it!", is reused from when he congratulated Nya after she seemingly defeated Boreal in "Awakenings."
- Two lines in this episode, Nya's "This is how the cookie crumbles!", Kai's "That's gonna take some getting used to," and Cole's "I think so" were hinted at when Tommy Andreasen briefly changed his Twitter name to these phrases shortly before this episode's release. The third is significant because it is Kirby Morrow's final line in the series.
- Despite appearing in the episode, Zane and P.I.X.A.L. don't have any lines throughout the episode.
- This is the final episode to have Kirby Morrow as a part of the voice cast, as he recorded his lines for the 2021 episodes prior to his death in 2020.
- This is the first time where Ed, Edna, Skylor, and a monk appear in the WildBrain animation.
- This is the second episode to feature a memorial for a ninja, the first being "The Titanium Ninja," which featured Zane's memorial.
- The ending scene with several characters gathered at the monastery resembles the final scene in "Endings," though the tones are completely different.
- This is the first episode to feature a main character sacrifice since "Vengeance is Mine!"
- The line, "This is how the cookie crumbles," references Nya and Maya's conversation in "Five Thousand Fathoms Down."
- A similar line was said by Cole in "The Last Hope."
- Nya's departure was foreshadowed in "Master of the Sea," when Maya told Nya she was glad she got to go "on one last adventure" with her.
- An image of Jay and Nya from "Green Destiny" can be seen before Nya's memorial.
- In the synopsis, it states that Nya would pry the amulet out. However, this didn't happen, as the Wave Amulet was destroyed, not taken.
- Kalmaar pronounces "Nyad" NYE-ad, which is neither the actual pronunciation of the Greek mythology creature, Naiad, or Nyad's name in the show. However, he could have intentionally said this out of disrespect.
- During Nya's eulogy, Hailmar was seen in two places at once.
- When the Ninja fight the Maaray Guards, Kai performs Spinjitzu, but he seemingly disappears as Benthomaar comes into view.
For the gallery of the episode, click here.