|“I wish you had taken my hand, and that no one ever found that teapot in the first place.”|
|— Jay's final wish|
|"The Way Back"|
|Season 6, Episode 10|
|Air date||February 1, 2016 (Asia)|
July 15, 2016 (US)
|Written by||Dan and Kevin Hageman|
|Directed by||Peter Hausner|
"Operation Land Ho!"
"Day of the Departed"
The Way Back is the tenth and final episode of the sixth season of LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, as well as the 64th overall in the series. It aired on February 1, 2016, in Asia, and on July 15, 2016, in the United States on Cartoon Network.
The Ninja are too late to stop Nadakhan and Nya's wedding ceremony and Nadakhan now has infinite wishes. The Ninja are helped by two unlikely allies and they must shoot the poison dart at Nadakhan so that Jay can make his final wish to stop Nadakhan.
As Nya prepares for the wedding, the ninja thank Jay's team for their heroics. The ninja plan to raid the Temple of Airjitzu since they don't have the Tiger Widow's venom. Lloyd points out that Nadakhan's power will diminish once he's defeated, which Wu realizes will cause New Djinjago's fall and Ninjago's destruction. The ninja set off to confront Nadakhan, while Wu and the rest of Jay’s team return to the city to prepare for the worst.
Arriving at the temple, the ninja are ambushed by several Sky Pirates, as the wedding ceremony begins. Before Clancee can complete the vows, the ninja burst in and object just in time. Nadakhan forces Clancee to finish the ceremony; thus making him all-powerful. Once the ceremony is complete; he renders Nya unconscious, straps a piece of metal to Jay's mouth to keep him quiet, and clones himself so five of him for each ninja and gets rid of their swords. As the mystical doppelgängers attack, Nadakhan condemns Clancee, Doubloon, and Monkey Wretch to random realms, while Flintlocke and Dogshank make their escape.
The ninja escape the temple and run into Flintlocke and Dogshank, who seek to stop their captain and avenge their comrades. After hijacking Misfortune's Keep, they use several sky mines to destroy the clones, before planning their next course of action. Jay removes the metal from his mouth and retrieves the Tiger Widow's venom. He proposes that the ninja distract Nadakhan long enough for Flintlocke to shoot him with the venom. Flintlocke is unsure of whether he can shoot straight still, but Jay assures him that his concerns were only interpretations of Nadakhan's part. This allows Flintlocke to undo Lloyd's wish and regains his ability to shoot properly.
Nadakhan wishes for Delara to be resurrected, using Nya's slumbering form as an avatar. The two lovers reunite until Nadakhan notices his ship has been commandeered by Jay. The ninja fend off the Sky Pirates before crashing Misfortune's Keep into the temple, destroying both in the process. The ninja then fight Nadakhan and Delara, while Flintlocke takes aim atop a Raid Zeppelin. One by one, Nadakhan turns the ninja into golden statues, until Jay is the only one left. As Nadakhan and Delara gloat over their victory, Flintlocke shoots Nadakhan, poisoning him. As a result, he loses control over Djinjago; it collapses onto the city below, causing untold destruction. Suddenly, Jay realizes some of the venom hit Nya as well, poisoning her. Horrified, Jay cradles Nya as she succumbs to the poison, and dies which leaves everyone devastated, especially Jay.
As Nadakhan prepares to strike Jay with the Djinn Blade, Jay wishes that Nya had taken his hand and that the Teapot of Tyrahn was never found. Nadakhan, being hit with the venom and with Jay’s wish being pure, has no choice but to grant it, and recent events are undone, and Jay suddenly arrives back on that day on the rooftop. Only he and Nya remember what had happened, and the two graciously take each others' hands through Airjitzu. Though the others are confused and don’t remember what just happened throughout the season, they’re happy that Jay and Nya got back together. Meanwhile, in Stiix, Clouse stumbles across the teapot but this time he is unable to retrieve it due to being spotted and chased off by the citizens. As the teapot is buried under scrap metal and shipped off to be junked, a broadcast screen shows Jay and Nya hugging in their embrace, while a floating temple is seen hovering on the horizon.
- Clancee - Ian James Corlett
- Clouse - Scott McNeil
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Dareth - Alan Marriott
- Delara - Kathleen Barr
- Dogshank - Nicole Oliver
- Echo Zane - Brent Miller
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Lloyd Garmadon - Jillian Michaels
- Misako - Kathleen Barr
- Nadakhan - Scott McNeil
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- Ronin - Brian Dobson
- Skylor - Heather Doerksen
- Soto - Alan Marriott
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- The Temple of Airjitzu is destroyed when Misfortune's Keep flies into it, shattering the ancient building to pieces. Moments later, the airship falls off the edge of the floating landmass and is presumably also destroyed.
- After Jay's final wish, the temple remains floating, foreshadowing at its use in the following special.
- Flintlocke and Dogshank defect to the ninja's side, after the Serpentine in season three, Pythor in season four, Ronin in season five, and Soto in the previous episode. However, Flintlocke and Dogshank teaming up with the ninja was soon erased due to Jay's final wish.
- Nadakhan banishes Clancee, Doubloon, and Monkey Wretch to other realms—although the realms they were sent to are not stated.
- After Jay's wish they were likely returned to the realms to which they were originally sent.
- This is the first season finale episode in which Master Wu does not appear in the closing scene; in the previous six finales, he has appeared alongside the ninja.
- This is also the final episode where Wu has his "Sensei" title before the characters and creators start referring to him as "Master."
- This episode marks the return of Jay and Nya's relationship.
- This is the first time Delara "appears" and speaks, though she is in Nya's body.
- Clancee apparently showed a sense of admiration for Jay, particularly his devotion and endurance. He first showed this in "My Dinner With Nadakhan" in which he freely spoke about himself and introduced the rest of the crew. While he also complimented him after the "Scrap-N-Tap" round and brought the eyepatch as a gift of being accepted into the crew, this was a trick.
- Jay wears his eyepatch again while attacking Nadakhan, probably to signify his prompting to make his future happen and not because of an injury. However, since he made his final wish, he has no reason to wear one unless he obtains it in some other way.
- It's unknown where the eyepatch came from, as he had previously thrown it to sea at the end of "Misfortune Rising".
- Unlike other times which he stuttered in his speech, Clancee did not stutter at all while confronting Nadakhan before being banished, signifying his confidence in finally speaking his mind.
- This episode marks the second time the ninja have altered Ninjago's timeline, the first time was in "Wrong Place, Wrong Time."
- This, however, is far more major due to the fact that it removes an entire season from having happened, unlike "Wrong Place, Wrong Time" in which only the Mega Weapon was removed.
- Even though the ninja altered the timeline, only Jay and Nya remember the events that happened before the alteration, although it's possible Lloyd remembers, too, as he said he had a "strange feeling of déjà vu."
- Because the recent events were undone, P.I.X.A.L would be restored to Zane, Lloyd wouldn't be old anymore, every Elemental Master would be removed from the Djinn Blade, Nya would be resurrected, Vengestone would have retained its original effect, and Ninjago is restored back to its original state pre-season.
- However, The Temple of Airjitzu is still up in the air due to an anomaly.
- Jay's final was similar to Casey Jones in the 2012 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episode "The Weird World of Wyrm", where Casey Jones wished that he and the others hadn't found the hypercube in the first place, forcing Wyrm to undo the events that happened, and the Turtles, April, and Casey only having déjà vu of it.
- When the ninja break down a door by blasting all of their powers at it at the same time, the resulting energy explosion resembles Golden Power.
- The splatter of Tiger Widow venom on Nadakhan and Nya's torsos are the same shape as the ketchup on Jay's shirt in "Misfortune Rising".
- The background music that plays when the events of Skybound are being erased, and events from past episodes are seen is the same one that plays when Lloyd has memories of him and his father from "The Corridor of Elders".
- Nya lifts Jay using her Airjitzu at the end of the episode. This parallels a scene from "Infamous", the first episode of the season, in which Jay helps Nya escape from the police by using his Airjitzu.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, Nadakhan only granted on of Jay's wishes, that being that Clouse never found the teapot, while Nya taking Jay's hand this time around was her own choice.
- Jay's final wish did in fact allow Jay and Nya to end up together, as Jay had hoped early on in the season.
- At the beginning of the episode, Kai mentions that since the Tiger Widow's venom was taken from Nya in the previous episode it would be up to the ninja to slow Nadakhan down. However, since Kai had been trapped in the Djinn Blade since "Misfortune Rising," Kai should not know that.
- It is also unknown how Misako knew that Jay still had one wish remaining, as Misako had been trapped in the Teapot of Tyrahn (and later the Djinn Blade) since "Public Enemy Number One", which was before any of the ninja encountered Nadakhan.
- Several times throughout the episode there are instances where Jay has the Djinn Blade, only for it to disappear in the next shot.
- Lloyd gains a slight English accent.
- When Cole says "There's too many!" Jay is seen without the strip of metal over his mouth.
- When Nadakhan shoots away from the rubble in the temple, all the ninja, except for Jay, have their hoods on, despite not having them on before.
- When Nadakhan says, "Tiger Widow venom", his mouth doesn't move.
- After Jay rushes over to Nya when she and Nadakhan had been hit with the venom, Nadakhan is farther away than what would have been a realistic crawling distance in that time.
For the gallery for this episode, click here.