- “The Time Blades belong to us! We are the Hands of Time!”
- “So you are. And you're nothing but second-hand thugs!”
|— Acronix and Wu, "Golden Hour"|
The Hands of Time were born minutes apart; Krux before Acronix. They were both descendants of the original Elemental Master of Time and were raised by their mother. Eventually, they mastered Time and began calling themselves the Hands of Time.
To achieve some form of victory in his downfall, Chen had Clouse use his Dark Magic to manipulate Krux and Acronix into betraying the Elemental Alliance, and Chen informed the twins of the location of the Great Devourer's eggs.
Believing their element was the most powerful, the twins betrayed the alliance to attempt to rule Ninjago. Acronix and Krux fought Wu and Garmadon, along with the rest of the alliance, who failed miserably against the twins' temporal powers. When Ray and Maya forged the Time Blades to beat them, Wu and Garmadon succeeded in stealing their powers and using it to create a temporal vortex to banish the Blades through space and time, so that no one can use their powers for evil. However, the twins didn't give up; they jumped into the Time rift to follow their drained power, which caused them to be lost in time.
After they jumped into the void, Krux emerged from it with the Reversal Time Blade, and years later succeeded in making an alliance with Ray and Maya by forcing them to work for him, or else he'll kill their children. They then betrayed the brothers and the Elemental Masters to work on Krux's plan, with the incident becoming known by Chen as well in the process.
When Acronix emerged from the Time Vortex after 40 years of being trapped in it, he clashed against Wu in hopes of defeating him and getting their revenge. When the Forward Time Blade emerged from the Time Vortex, Acronix succeeded in accelerating Wu's growth making him rapidly age. After the ninja interfered in the process, Acronix defeated them with ease and headed to the Ninjago history museum to meet someone. In the museum, Dr. Saunders revealed his secret of being Krux to his brother, as they hugged and started plotting their revenge.
After being reunited, they took residence in the Ninjago History Museum, in Krux's hideout. Acronix was so impressed by the new modern technology, especially the BorgWatch that was shown on Borg's commercial, while Krux was getting irritated. They later realized in order to complete their master plan to control Time for all eternity, they needed to abduct Borg to finalize their long-awaited plot. Krux introduced the new army he created out of the eggs of the Great Devourer, the Vermillion army. When the Vermillion, that was sent by the Hands of Time attacked Borg's shop, the ninja came to the rescue, and the twins sent two more warriors to help abduct Borg and destroy the ninja. Acronix was irritated that the samurai snakes failed and Zane is leading Borg to safety. However, Krux disguised himself as Dr. Saunders and intercepted them. Borg was surprised to see Saunders, but the twins used that as a distraction so Acronix can deactivate Zane with the Forward Time Blade, then Krux revealed his secret to Borg as they captured him with the help of a couple of Vermillion and disappeared.
After they had abducted Borg and locked him in a Serpentine coffin, Acronix questioned how they would get the Vermillion warriors to listen to them. Krux then presents Commander Raggmunk, Commander Blunck, and Commander Machia, who will command the Vermillion for them. The Hands Of Time began Phase II, which was to kidnap mechanics who could build the Iron Doom. Despite the ninja's interference, the Vermillion successfully captured the people, while Krux revealed his secret to Kai and battled him and Nya alongside Acronix. When Borg attempted to use the Forward Time Blade, Acronix grabbed him, took the Time Blade, and escaped with Krux and Borg. Meanwhile, the Vermillion successfully escaped with the people by using the sewers.
Since the twins' old hideout was discovered by the ninja, Krux and Acronix were in the sewers, escorted by a squadron of Vermillion, with the captured mechanics and Borg in the coffin. Meanwhile, the other Vermillion forces were stealing as much metal they can find for the Hands of Time master plan. Acronix suggested they find the lair using his BorgWatch, Krux, however, knew it would be a bad idea as there was no connection underground. Krux decides to follow the old map which leads them to a dead end. Eventually, however, they arrive in the swamp.
When they arrived at the swamp they began interrogating Borg, the Hands of Time along with Commander Machia were interrupted by the arrival of the Slow-Mo Time Blade when it slowed Time. Acronix immediately got to work on figuring out the location of the Time Blade on the BorgWatch, to which Krux immediately protested against it, until Acronix's BorgWatch located the Blade in the canyons in the Sea of Sand. Krux admitted that sometimes, "Technology has its uses," and ordered Machia to send Raggmunk and Blunck to retrieve the Time Blade. The twins were very upset when they learned Raggmunk and Blunck lost the Blade to the ninja.
Later, when the Vermillion discovered the location of the Slow-Mo Time Blade by using Acronix's Borgwatch, Machia and The Hands of Time immediately led an attack on the floating temple. When the twins landed on the temple, Wu battled Acronix with the Slow-Mo Time Blade which slowed Time on him, however, Krux got the Forward Time Blade and battled Wu and the ninja. Eventually, Lloyd got the Forward & Slow-Mo Time Blades, but the victory was short-lived as Commander Machia arrived and retrieved both Time Blades from Lloyd's hands, and she and the Hands Of Time escaped with the Time Blades and Wu.
On the way back to the Vermillion Swamps, Acronix and Krux decided to promote Machia to the rank of Supreme Commander of the Vermillion after her incredibly successful attack. Wu was doubting that they will win, and in response, Krux showed him the entire army waiting to hatch from their eggs. Once at the command center, they imprisoned Wu in a cell and strapped him to a wheelchair, as Machia had Raggmunk and Blunck guard him. Later, they interrogated Borg again, and The Hands of Time were displeased with his lack of cooperation. Acronix and Machia then threatened to attack with the Time Blades, to which Borg responded in fear that he will immediately finish the apparatus.
During Krux's interrogation of Borg, he noted that he did a good job building the apparatus for the Iron Doom. He then attempted to test the device with the Slow-Mo Time Blade, which was disappointed to see it was not working. Borg tried to reassure him that it will work once it's complete, just as Acronix came with the news that the next Time Blade is on about to emerge from the Time Vortex. Acronix and Krux prepared to depart to Glacier Barrens where the Blade will arrive. Commander Machia caught Borg attempting to sabotage the device and as a punishment she had him come with the Hands of Time without a jacket to the ice-cold mountain where the Blade is set to arrive.
Acronix and Krux retrieved the Blade and returned to the command center. Later, they overheard a conversation between Ray and Maya and their children Kai and Nya and they quickly revealed themselves after discovering Ray and Maya had hidden the Reversal Time Blade 40 years prior to the orders of Wu. They brought Kai, Nya, their parents, and Wu onto the airship, using this as leverage against Kai and Nya to retrieve the reverse blade, promising if they do, they can save Wu.
After they blackmailed Kai, Nya, Ray, and Maya, they had Ray and Maya lead them to the Boiling Sea, where Acronix threatened to kill Wu with the Forward and Pause Time Blades, and Krux with the Slow-Mo Time Blade if they didn't retrieve the Reversal Time Blade. When Kai and Nya used the Dragon Blade to get the Reversal Time Blade and bring it to the twins' blimp, Acronix and Krux revealed that they lied to them about saving Wu in order to get the Reversal Blade, and attacked them along with Supreme Commander Machia and the Vermillion. When Krux beat Kai's Spinjitzu, Kai used the Reversal Blade to reverse Time and beat Krux. However, when Krux tried to slow Time on him, he slowed Time on Machia instead by accident. Acronix (now irritated that they are winning) tried to attack Kai with the "Time Punch" of the Forward Time Blade, only for Ray to save his son and get hit by the Blade himself. Afterward, Acronix used the Pause Time Blade to pause Time on Kai, Nya, Ray, Maya, and Wu, thus allowing Krux to get the Reversal Blade from the immobilized Kai. Now have all four Time Blades the twins went to the Iron Doom in order to plug the Blades in the power source while leaving Kai, Nya, Ray, Maya, and Wu floating in the air until the pause wears off. When they arrived at the Iron Doom they were surprised that Borg, Samurai X, and Zane were attempting to deactivate the Iron Doom. So Krux used the Pause Time Blade to pause Time on them while the Hands of Time plug the Blades in the power source of the Iron Doom and create a temporal rift, and time travel into the Past to destroy Wu and Garmadon along with the Elemental Alliance that existed 40 years ago, with Kai, Nya and present-day Wu unknowingly following them.
After the twins retrieved all four Blades, they were traveling back in time, 40 years ago when their power was drained by the Time Blades and they became lost in time. As they were arriving at their temporal destination, Krux had Supreme Commander Machia prepare the Vermillion, as he quoted that "The Battle will be re-fought." As they arrived in the past Wu and Garmadon were surprised to see them since they have just defeated the past Krux and Acronix. Then, Acronix had Machia begin the attack. When Kai and Nya interfered and tried to help the past Elemental Masters, The Hands of Time were irritated that they are losing.
Next, they fired Commander Blunck, Commander Raggmunk, and Supreme Commander Machia to take over command of the Vermillion warriors. As Kai and Nya tried to stop the Twins from escaping on the Iron Doom, they failed miserably. However, when Nya found the Past Reversal Time Blade they used it to bring back the Twins and the Iron Doom. Once the Twins were brought back, present-day Wu tossed the Past Reversal Time Blade to past Wu and hid it in the Boiling Sea as the Twins were escaping followed by Kai and Nya and Present-day Wu. The Time Twins were irritated that they lost because of Kai and Nya as they were traveling far into the future, now the timeline of Ninjago was corrected. Unknown to them Kai, Nya, and Wu sneaked on board the Iron Doom again. The outraged Time Twins fought them and overwhelmed the two ninja. Just as they were about to kill them, Wu intervened by quickly grabbing the Reversal Time Blade and sabotaged the Iron Doom, Wu threw the Blade to Kai and Nya, which tossed them off the Iron Doom and into the present time, as Wu stayed behind and fought The Hands of Time. When Kai and Nya arrived at the present time, Kai used the Reversal Time Blade to heal his father, and after that, the ninja disposed of it.
After throwing the Reversal Time Blade to Kai and Nya and off the Iron Doom, Wu prepares to face Krux and Acronix but is struck with electricity from the inside of the vehicle. Striking Wu's staff, the Time Twins are transported with Wu to the Fire Temple amongst various other locations from Ninjago's past and future as Wu quickly de-ages while fighting the Twins and stopping them from altering the past. After a while, Wu becomes a child and uses his reversal energy to stop the Iron Doom, causing the mechanism to explode, presumably destroying the Vermillion and leaving the now powerless machine to rot in the endless void outside of time. The Time Twins were trapped while a now infant Wu floated through the vortex and was able to get out.
The twins briefly appear in Wu's flashbacks as he recalls his various memories from his past, including his final battle against the twins on the Iron Doom as it became lost in time.
The Time Twins have control of a powerful secondary element, Time. After Ray and Maya forged the Time Blades, Wu, and his older brother Garmadon, used the Blades to steal the power of the twins, thus causing them to lose their power. Before that, Acronix was able to speed up Time, which allowed him to disappear and reappear whenever and wherever he desired, by sending himself Forward into Time and gaining the upper hand in battle. He also was able to slow Time allowing him to move away from the firing line and attack. His brother, Krux, had the opposite power. He could rewind Time against an opponent, which allows him to see his opponent's next move and defeat his opponent before it happens, thus gaining the upper hand in battle. He also was able to stop Time completely. After their powers were stolen, they would later recover the Time Blades in order to get their power back in their bid to rule Ninjago and control Time for all eternity.
Even without their powers, the two are still fearsome warriors who are able to hold their ground against the ninja, even overpowering them. Despite putting up a good fight against Wu, they were easily defeated by him in their final battle with him.
- The Time Twins were originally going to be one character called "Kronos."
- They were never called the Time Twins in their main season, Season 7, but they were called this in the later episodes "Legacy" and "How to Build a Dragon" and in The Book of Spinjitzu.
- Their names come from Acronis and Crux, two pieces of file sharing software used in the production of the TV series..
- It was revealed in "Golden Hour" that they were defeated by Wu who caused the Iron Doom to explode. That makes them the third and fourth main villains to be defeated by someone other than the ninja. The first was Pythor, who was eaten by the Great Devourer; the second was Chen, who was defeated by the Anacondrai generals; the fifth was Unagami, who was reformed by Milton Dyer; and the sixth was Kalmaar, who was devoured by Wojira.
- It's unknown if they inherited Time from their mother or father.
- Tommy Andreasen said "Keep in mind the the Hand of Time could have dropped out of time already and could be around scheeming."
- They are the third and fourth villains to have a vendetta against Wu, preceded by Garmadon and Morro and followed by Aspheera.
- Despite being twins, the two have many differences:
- Krux, who lived in Ninjago for forty years, is old and detests technology, although he says it has uses occasionally.
- Acronix, who was stranded in time for forty years, is young and is amazed and enjoys modern technology.
- The Time Twins' powers interestingly share a connection with their personalities in some ways.
- Acronix has the power to slow down and speed up time, but can't reverse or stop it. Fitting as he enjoys the future and all the advancements that have happened while he was stranded in time, and thus does not want to go back to the old ways of life he and his brother once lived.
- Krux has the power to stop and reverse time, but can't slow down or speed it up. Fitting as he hates the future and all the technological advancements that have happened in Ninjago over the years, and thus wants to change the past so that Ninjago remains fairly low tech.
- The Time Twins' appearances are the opposite of the other's:
- Acronix's armor has a brighter and more vibrant coloration since he traveled four decades in the future and thus did not fade, has a phone with green ear buds on his right torso and left shoulder, his cape drapes over his left shoulder, his right sleeve is gray, and wears a BorgWatch on his left wrist. Acronix has long black hair tied in a ponytail and a beard.
- Krux's armor has a darker and more faded coloration since he was in real time and aged, has an hourglass on a chain on his left torso and hip, his cape drapes over his right shoulder, and his left sleeve is gray. Krux has short gray hair combed back, (his hair was black and styled somewhat unevenly with swept back bangs when he was younger), and has a mustache.
- The idea of Chen and Clouse manipulating the twins into betraying the Elemental Alliance was originally scrapped for Season 7.
- Their hood piece was originally used on the Rogue from Minifigures Series 16. It was later used on Plundar.
- When asked if the Time Twins had unlocked their True Potentials, Tommy Andreasen stated, "[They] didn’t seem like they had overcome the obstacles within to me."
- They are two of the ten characters to have a cape in sets, the other six being Lloyd, Chen, Morro, Harumi, Wu, the Blizzard Sword Masters, Akita, and Mammatus.
- The Time Twins are a special case in Elemental Power succession, because the power of Time is easily divisible, allowing for it to have been distributed among the twins as different abilities from the same power. In other cases, if twins were born to an Elemental Master, it is likely that only one would inherit the element.
- Though the colored detailing around the twins' eyes was simply a designer's choice with no specific explanation, one possibility is that they are tattoos and Krux wore makeup to cover his when he was disguised as Dr. Saunders.
- It is unknown why Krux had black eyes as Dr. Saunders as the eyes of both twins were hazel.
- The Time Twins are two of the nine Elemental Masters that have facial hair.
- The Time Twins are two of the seven main antagonists that are not currently known to be alive or have an uncertain fate, the other six being Chen, Morro, The Preeminent, The Omega, and Kalmaar.
- The Time Twins were born three minutes apart, Krux was born three minutes earlier than Acronix. This makes Krux chronologically older than Acronix. However they now have a forty year age difference; (Acronix being inside the Temporal vortex for four decades without aging, while Krux escaped 40 years earlier and aged).
- They are the first pair of twins on the show.
- The Time Twins have shown to be cross-dominant or ambidextrous. In promotional artwork, Krux switches hands while holding the Reversal Time Blade while Acronix holds the Forward Time Blade and Pause Time Blade with both hands. In the show, Acronix favors his right, (such as holding the Forward Time Blade with his right hand and wearing his BorgWatch on his left wrist) but also capable of using his left hand, (such as playing with his BorgPad and holding weapons in battle), while Krux switches hands between tasks but mainly uses his right hand.
The images on Time Twins need to be organized.
In other media
- "A Time of Traitors"
- "The Hatching"
- Way of the Departed Chapter 9
- "Pause and Effect"
- https://youtu.be/oPuPNMlIAWI?t=3915 (live-chat)