Time travel (also known as temporal voyage) is the concept of movement between certain points in time, such as the past or the future, analogous to movement between different points in space by an object or a person, typically using a hypothetical device known as a time machine.
- 1 History
- 2 Effects
- 3 Methods of time travel
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 See also
- 7 References
The ninja traveled to the past to stop Lord Garmadon, who traveled back to before Lloyd became the Green Ninja. They defeated him using the Golden Weapons of that time and sent the Mega Weapon into the space.
The Time Twins traveled 40 years into the past, moments after their defeat, to change the outcome of the Battle for All of Time, with Kai, Nya, and Wu to secretly get into the Iron Doom. Finally, Wu sacrificed himself, and he along with the Time Twins were lost in time, while Kai and Nya returned to the present.
The Monastery of Spinjitzu defenses, the Titan Mech, and Zane were seen arriving in the Never-Realm from 60 years in the future.
It seems that in both major known cases of time travel, the two time periods exist in some sort of simultaneity. In the first case, Wu watches the effects of Garmadon and the ninja's antics in the past unfold in the present, seeing a photo of Lloyd fade away and seeing gray clouds roll over Ninjago. In the second case, the ninja and their allies in the present are aware that Ninjago City's technological state had regressed forty years as a result of the Time Twins interfering with the past at the Battle for All of Time.
In the case of the Mega Weapon, only some events were undone despite the past being changed, due to the nature of chaos. This is similar to some of the effects of the alternate timeline remaining after it was seemingly reversed.
Methods of time travel
- Scrolls of Forbidden Spinjitzu
- Iron Doom (with the Time Blades and the time apparatus)
- Magic (wishes)
- Mega Weapon
- The ninja have traveled twice to the past, the first time in "Wrong Place, Wrong Time" and the second in "Lost in Time," though the second time it was only Kai and Nya.
- Kai is the ninja to travel to the past the most times.
- Lloyd is the only ninja who has yet to travel through time.
- According to Tommy Andreasen, Griffin Turner's Speed is not as fast as that of the Flash from DC Comics. As such, he most likely cannot travel through time.
- In the original concept for the The LEGO Ninjago Movie, the ninja travel to the past to prevent Garmadon from becoming evil, as well as facing the snakes and the Great Devourer.
- When time-traveling through the vortex, one can observe past events. Events from Skybound, which had since been undone, are even visible from the vortex.
- P.I.X.A.L. was temporarily erased from existence in "Lost in Time". Though not acknowledged by any of the characters, she was nowhere to be seen when the Time Twins' meddling in the past caused technology to regress forty years, as she had not been built until recently.
- Though alternate universes are often associated with time travel in science fiction, there are no alternate universes in Ninjago.
- The ninja's changes in appearance in Sons of Garmadon initially seemed to be a result of time travel effects from the previous season, as Jay theorized in "The Mask of Deception," with the Hageman Brothers backing this up.
- However, Tommy Andreasen stated this is not the case, and the show contradicts it as well, as the original designs are seen in photos and flashbacks in Sons of Garmadon and onward, which would not be the case if they had been historically altered due to time travel.
- "Out of the Fire and Into the Boiling Sea"
- https://youtu.be/LCUzfH9eHPk?t=4718 (live-chat)