|“No. I have warned you before about the dangers of time travel. Change anything, change everything. In this time, you do not exist yet.”|
|— Wu to Kai in "Lost in Time"|
Time travel (also known as temporal voyage) is the concept of movement between certain points in time, such as the past or the future, analogous to movement between different points in space by an object or a person, typically using a hypothetical device known as a time machine.
The ninja traveled to the past to stop Lord Garmadon, who traveled back to before Lloyd became the Green Ninja. They defeated him using the Golden Weapons of that time and sent the Mega Weapon into space.
Nya, Kai, and Wu travel 40 years into the past, moments after the defeat of young Acronix and Krux, to stop themselves from the future who traveled there to defeat Wu, Garmadon, and the Elemental Alliance. Finally Wu sacrifices himself, and he along with the Time Twins are lost in time, while Kai and Nya return to the present.
The Monastery of Spinjitzu defenses, the Titan Mech, and Zane were seen arriving in the Never-Realm from 60 years in the future.
It seems that in both major known cases of time travel, the two time periods exist in some sort of simultaneity. In the first case, Wu watches the effects of Garmadon and the ninja's antics in the past unfold in the present, seeing a photo of Lloyd fade away and seeing gray clouds roll over Ninjago. In the second case, the ninja and their allies in the present are aware that Ninjago City's technological state had regressed forty years as a result of the Time Twins interfering with the past at the Battle for All of Time.
In the case of the Mega Weapon, only some events were undone despite the past being changed, due to the nature of chaos. This is similar to some of the effects of the alternate timeline remaining after it was seemingly reversed.
Methods of time travel
- The ninja have traveled twice to the past, the first time in "Wrong Place, Wrong Time" and the second in "Lost in Time," though the second time it was only Kai and Nya.
- Kai is the ninja to travel to the past the most times.
- Lloyd is the only ninja who has yet to travel through time.
- In the original concept for the The LEGO Ninjago Movie, the ninja travel to the past to prevent Garmadon from becoming evil, as well as facing the snakes and the Great Devourer.
- When time-traveling through the vortex, one can observe past events. Events from Skybound, which had since been undone, are even visible from the vortex.
- P.I.X.A.L. was temporarily erased from existence in "Lost in Time". Though not acknowledged by any of the characters, she was nowhere to be seen when the Time Twins' meddling in the past caused technology to regress forty years, as she had not been built until recently.
- Though alternate universes are often associated with time travel in science fiction, there are no alternate universes in Ninjago.
- The ninja's changes in appearance in Season 8: Sons of Garmadon initially seemed to be a result of time travel effects from the previous season, as Jay theorized in "The Mask of Deception," with the Hageman Brothers backing this up.
- "Out of the Fire and Into the Boiling Sea"
- https://youtu.be/LCUzfH9eHPk?t=4718 (live-chat)