The Wailing Alps is the tallest mountain in Ninjago. According to Zane, it is three leagues and twenty-eight fathoms. It is the only area high enough for one to reach the Blind Man's Eye, though a vehicle of some kind is required to ascend it due to its unstable slopes. Near its summit, the Hanging Temple is constructed.
Needing to access the Cloud Kingdom through the Blind Man's Eye, Morro, Bansha, Ghoultar, and Soul Archer traversed up the Wailing Alps in order to use its massive peak to reach the entrance. However, the ninja, following in their individual mechs, attracted the attention of the four Ghost Warriors, forcing Bansha to unleash a sonic scream and trigger an avalanche that destroyed three of their mechs and nearly killing the protagonists. However, her efforts would be for naught when the ninja, with the aid of Cole, managed to traverse the mountain in record time once more and catch up to the Ghosts, battling at the Hanging Temple. Eventually, with Blind Man's Eye passing over the peak, the ninja used Airjitzu to access the Cloud Kingdom, leaving the mountain.
Exiting from Blind Man's Eye and escaping the pursuing Ghost Warriors, the ninja would take advantage of the downward slope to slide down on their stolen Cloud Kingdom boat, eventually riding on its fragments after it was shattered by a stone jutting out of the mountain. Meeting initial conflict with the Ghosts in the chase, the ninja succeeded in escaping with the Sword of Sanctuary, forcing both parties to abandon the mountain.
The highest peaks on NINJAGO Island, the Wailing Alps get their name from the mournful sound made by the wind as it blows through the canyons. They say the winds can gust so powerfully at times that they could blow a traveler right off the mountains. Bitterly cold, with almost constant snowfall, the Wailing Alps are among the most inhospitable places in the NINJAGO world.
- 2. "Vehicles and Mechs"
- The Splinter in the Blind Man's Eye (non-canon)
- When winds blow through the mountains, it sounds similar to a wail, hence the name.
- It is twice as tall as the world's tallest mountain, Mount Everest, and even taller than the world's tallest mountain including underwater height, Mauna Kea.
- Approximately, the height of the Wailing Alps, in feet, is 54,853 ft.
- Although it is the highest mountain in Ninjago, The Book of Spinjitzu shows that the tallest mountain is the mountain where Cole climbed and where he first met Master Wu.