|“Look at yourselves! You've gone soft. You do nothing all day, but play video games, and eat cake. And soak in this . . . this. . .”|
“It's not a hot tub! It's the sacred Bell of Divinity.”
|— Master Wu and Cole|
|"Wasted True Potential"|
|Season 11, Episode 1|
|Air date|| June 22, 2019 (US)|
July 22, 2019 (Australia)
August 10, 2019 (Canada)
|Written by||Bragi Schut|
|Directed by||Wade Cross|
"Questing for Quests"
It was originally scheduled to be released in Canada on May 11, 2019, but was removed and rescheduled for August 10, 2019. A trailer featuring incomplete color grading not meant for public viewing was mistakenly released by Teletoon on April 30, 2019, but was taken down shortly after.
Extended: Having grown complacent in the wake of their victory over the Oni, the ninja are enjoying life, playing video-games, sleeping in, and soaking in a hot tub (fashioned from one of the monastery's enormous bells). Unfortunately, this behavior quickly grows tiresome and the ninja are confronted by Master Wu, who accuses them of not taking their duties seriously. The ninja deny this, and Wu decides to put them to the test with a series of booby-traps and pranks intended to test their reflexes and skills. Among the more dangerous challenges, the ninja must catch a dangerous breed of chicken that grows wild in the hills surrounding the monastery. Put to shame by the chicken, the ninja ultimately realize: Wu is right. They have gone soft. They decide to take on a new quest to get back in ninja-shape.
He then sees another, larger Serpentine wreaking havoc in Ninjago City and sees a frozen palace. He sees a vision of a man with familiar glowing eyes and clad in samurai armor sitting on a throne, and then a legion of Pyro Vipers marching through Ninjago City terrorizing the people. He then sees an Ice Dragon freeze over a small village, freezing several people solid, including the other Ninja, lastly focusing on Jay. When Zane wakes up, he finds Jay is next to his bed. Zane attempts to tell Jay about his dream, but Jay laughs about it, thinking it was just a nightmare. Jay is not moved by Zane’s last dreams coming in true. Instead, he shifts the conversation to Cole, who is about to beat Zane's record in Lava Zombies.
Meanwhile, back in the game room, Cole is watched by Kai, Nya, and Lloyd who all see Cole beat Zane's record. Once Jay and Zane arrive, the Ninja realized they have spent too much time with video games and decide to relax in a hot tub.
As the Ninja relax in their hot tub, they spot an angry Master Wu who criticizes them for being lazy once again, especially since their hot tub was made out of a sacred bell. The Ninja attempt to come up with excuses, but this makes Wu even more upset and demands a meeting at the Monastery of Spinjitzu.
Inside the monastery, Wu continues to criticize the Ninja of their laziness and tells a story of monks who eventually became ninjas. In the process of becoming a ninja, the monks had to pass a test that involved withstanding some time with an electric chicken. Wu did the same thing for the Ninja for them to prove their courage. Once the chicken was released, it attacks the Ninja using its lighting power. The Ninja barely managed to trap the chicken, but Wu warned them of upcoming plans to prove their courage.
As the day proceeds, the Ninja were utterly unable to see through traps Wu had set including trap doors, darts, and being stuck on top of the monastery. By the next day, the Ninja were tired and humiliated by how Wu had completely eluded them with the traps and decide to compromise with Wu to see if there are other ways to prove their courage.The Ninja find Wu in the courtyards and ask if there are other ways to prove their courage. Wu decides to make an exception and allow the Ninja to fight him. Despite Wu being outnumbered, he still soundly defeated all the Ninja due to their lack of training over the past month with pure skill despite their usage of their powers. Wu then unleashes his chicken upon the Ninja to punish them for failure as they realize the truth of Wu's words and they scream as they are electrocuted.
- Aspheera - Pauline Newstone
- Cole - Kirby Morrow
- Jay - Michael Adamthwaite
- Kai - Vincent Tong
- Lloyd Garmadon - Sam Vincent
- Nya - Kelly Metzger
- Wu - Paul Dobson
- Zane - Brent Miller
For the transcript of the episode, click here.
- Never-Realm (dream)
- Narrator: Wu
- This is the first episode since "Lost in Time" where Wu reads the title card.
- The name of the episode is a pun on the term "wasted potential."
- This episode is the first to be animated and produced by WildBrain studio.
- This is also the first episode produced with an 11-minute runtime.
- The episode has a lot in common with "Rise of the Snakes," where the Ninja show signs of laziness.
- Wu mentions the Oni Invasion was months ago, showing a significant amount of time has passed.
- Zane has a dream about Aspheera and her Pyro Vipers as well as the Ice Emperor in the Never-Realm.
- At the beginning of the episode, when the title is shown, a painting of a dragon is shown, with "Frost Dragon" written in Ninjargon on the side. This likely references Boreal and the 2nd chapter of the season, the Ice Chapter.
- Zane mentions to Jay that his visions always come true, even listing examples such as the Titanium Dragon and the Green Ninja.
- Every time Wu lands a blow on the Ninja, he says "fail" similar to a scene in "Way of the Ninja" to how Kai failed his training.
- When Cole was winning the Lava Zombies game, it said "You Win!" in Ninjago language, which is similar to how a player wins the dojo with the "You Win!" card In The LEGO Ninjago Movie Videogame.
- On the top right corner, it said “SCORE: 09999” in the Ninjago language.
- This is the third episode to start with one of Zane's dreams. The first two were "Never Trust a Snake" and "Versus."
- This is one of the few episodes to start before the title is said.
- This episode continues the trend of season premieres not having an intro sequence that was started by "The Invitation" and broken by "The Darkness Comes."
- When Nya is blasting water at Wu, Jay mistakenly calls her Zane.
- When Lloyd jumps onto the roof to face Wu with his golden sword, his shoulder armor can be seen for a brief moment before it's gone again.
For the gallery of the episode, click here.