|Wu||Wu (The LEGO Ninjago Movie)|
|"You just have to look at it from a different point of view."
The old master played flute on his staff at his dojo and also tried to spell out "The Master" on a wall, but before he could do so, a chicken interrupted him. Annoyed, he shooed it away and began again and again, only to be disturbed every time. Unable to defeat it, Wu walked away, feeling defeated, until the chicken decided to become friends with him, making them "The Masters" until Wu kicked the chicken through the wall.
When Wu returned from his temple to Ninjago City on the Destiny's Bounty, he observed his ninja during their battle with Garmadon and later met them at their base. He explained to them that their abilities were not only in weapons and mechs, but in each of them, showing them all the powers of the elements. He then gave them his book to read and ordered them to train Spinjitzu for three hours while going to the Bounty to talk to Lloyd.
On the ship, Wu showed Lloyd a number of weapons he had stored there, including the Ultimate Weapon, only to tell Lloyd that the most powerful weapon was inside him. Although Lloyd disagreed and demanded the Ultimate Weapon to stop Garmadon, Wu refused to allow him. He then told him that he would not always be there to train them because he was super super old. When Lloyd told him he would rather give up being a ninja if he didn't have to be the son of Garmadon, Wu told him he had a hard life and decided to play him a song on his staff.
Later, when the ninja fought Garmadon again, Wu watched them from the Bounty until interrupted by General Omar and the Shark Army, who brought him an insulting message from Garmadon. When the army attacked him, Wu began to fight them. Lloyd, who stole the Ultimate Weapon, crept onto the ship during the fight, but Wu didn't notice him.
After the release of Meowthra, the ninja met at the ruins of the Destiny's Bounty, thinking their master was dead. However, Wu appeared behind them and told them that if he had to die, it would only be a lesson for them. He then explained that Lloyd had launched Meowthra, the six-toed, fluffy demon, with her sandpaper tongue, which wanted to destroy Ninjago. The only chance to stop her is to find the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon, which is at the long end of the island, where Wu decides to go alone. However, the ninja eventually persuade him to take them with him, and he agreed.
As they walked through the Jungle of Lost Souls and Wu played them on his staff like a flute, he heard some sounds. He immediately realized it was Garmadon and tried to find him what he had accomplished. Both brothers engaged in a fight, which led them to the Bridge of Fallen Mentors. Wu managed to trap Garmadon in a cage, but the last of the Seven Deadly Butterflies of Shaolin Garmadon had previously released frightened Wu so much that he fell off a bridge into a river and washed away, shouting at the ninja that they must find their inner peace.
Later, as the ninja fled the Temple of Fragile Foundations, Wu shouted at Lloyd to jump off the mountain. The ninja did so and fell on the Destiny's Bounty, which Wu had previously repaired. He explained to them that he was pretending to die so that they would listen more to what worked. Then he went with them to Ninjago City.
After defeating both Garmadon and Meowthra, Lloyd explained to Wu that he already understood what it meant to be a Green Ninja, for which Wu praised him and told him that some powers are invisible, but those are the most important powers of all.
Wu then turned to the audience and explained that Lloyd had saved everyone.
Wu is a very old man with a wealth of experience that makes him an extremely wise master and mentor. He tries to teach his ninja that it is not only the weapons and mechs that are important, but especially the powers that are invisible. He is also willing to fake death so that the ninja will listen to him more. He often speaks of himself in metaphors and riddles, although when the ninja ask him more about it, he tells them that he has come up with some things from it. He is also very proud of his position as a master and did not want to allow the chicken to obtain the same title as him, so he expelled it from his temple, although they had reconciled before.
Wu is a very old man, as evidenced by his long, left-twisted beard, which he had had since childhood, although it was much shorter at the time. He has wrinkles on his face and also very thick white eyebrows. He always wears a conical straw hat on his bald head. His clothes consist of light tan pants, under which he has white briefs. He has brown sandals on his feet and wears a long white kimono that reaches to his knees. The kimono has gray edging and buttons, while on the back is a red lotus flower symbol.
Weapons and abilities
Wu is the Master of Creation, and thus possesses the ability to use the elements of his students, barring Lloyd: Fire, Earth, Ice, Lightning, and Water. Likewise, he is highly proficient in martial arts, most notably Spinjitzu which is golden.
Master Wu wields a staff as his main weapon that can also be played like a flute.
Master Wu: Master of Creation
This wise, all-knowing mentor promises to teach his students to become ninja masters but first they must find their inner peace … or is that piece? He wants them to rely less on their mechs and more on themselves and each other. Wu is Lord Garmadon’s brother, and uncle to Lloyd. He carries a staff he can play like a flute, and a hat that doubles as a floatation device. Years of meditation have not softened this warrior’s edges – or his tongue – and though his students might think he’s “way old,” Wu is still full of surprises.
Meet Master Wu
Son of the first Spinjitzu master, he is more powerful and wise than we even know. Master Wu believes everything is about balance. Known to say "You can win the battle on the outside but lose the battle on the inside."
- 70608 Master Falls
- 70612 Green Ninja Mech Dragon
- 70618 Destiny's Bounty
- 71019 The LEGO Ninjago Movie Series
- 41488 Master Wu (BrickHeadz)
- The LEGO Ninjago Movie Videogame (non-canon)
- He has a dislike for the ninja's mechs, saying they go against everything about a ninja.
- He can control water, fire, lightning, earth, and ice; something that his in-show counterpart does not do but was depicted to do (excluding water) in promotional material for the pilot episodes.
- He is 167 years old, which makes him much younger than his TV series counterpart, who is thousands of years old.
- It was revealed that he has had a beard ever since he was an infant, unlike his TV counterpart, who did not.
- In the sets, he lacks arm printings but has them in the movie.
- However, he has arm printings in 71019 The LEGO Ninjago Movie Series.
- He has the same hat and beard as his show counterpart.
- Three versions of his face have been released, one of which is angry, the other smiling and the third a little more smiling.
- After the movie was released they also used the same smiling head for his Legacy counterpart.
- Unlike his TV series counterpart, this Wu does not have a small black skullcap under his hat.
- His hat is golden color in the movie, while it is wheat color in the sets.
- He was originally supposed to use a new beard piece and a hair/hat piece, but eventually used the same as his show counterpart.
- In 71019 The LEGO Ninjago Movie Series he appeared with chicken on a box from cornflakes, as a reference to his performance in "The Master". Two years after the release of the movie, Wu owns a chicken in the show as a reference to this short.
- The design of his clothes is based on his white kimono.
- He can play his staff as the flute, referring to his playing the Sacred Flute in the show.
- Unlike his TV series counterpart, he does not show affection for Koko.
- He is wearing white briefs.
- Unlike his TV series counterpart, his last name is most likely Garmadon, as the doormat to his childhood home said "The Garmadons." His LEGO.com description also states him to be the "Son of the first Spinjitzu master".
In The Master
|The LEGO Ninjago Movie characters|
Leader: Lord Garmadon
Ninjago City residents